Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default How would the following players do at Rucker Park?

How would the following players do in a game at Rucker against a team of the current best streetballers 6' and taller. Assume the Rucker crew has been practicing for a month for this occasion (you can use a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is laughed off the court and 10 is dropping 40+ points, or a triple double):

Boris Diaw
    Austin Rivers
    JJ Barea
    Jimmer
    Jeremy Lin
    Kyle Korver
    Brian Roberts
    Gordon Hayward
    Jason Collins
    Devin Harris
    Nate Robinson

I think pretty much everyone here puts up basically a 20 point double double at worst, but I have friends who legitimately think NBA players who aren't Kobe/Lebron/Durant would get schooled at the park.
    Last edited by oarabbus; 08-09-2014 at 12:39 AM.

NBA Superstar

Default Re: How would the following players do at Rucker Park?

I've always remembered seeing Mike Dunleavy Jr. play at Rucker on ESPN2 during the Entertainer's Basketball Classic. It was right after his rookie year, when I thought he was going to be a bust. He averaged like five points per his first year in the league.

Anyway, I'm certain I've glorified the memory now, but I just remember him looking like a monster out there at Rucker. He's a shooter at heart but out there on the streets it was like, "Oh, wait... this dude is six-foot freaking nine." I remember him bombing, I remember him dunking, and I remember him towering over most and blocking shots. Not to mention, he appeared to be in great shape in terms of running the floor and whatnot.

Banned

Austin Rivers is the ultimate Rucker Park player

can look like the GOAT against people his size

but the second he goes up against pro athletes he's neutralized

But he has dirty handles and moves

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Well Rafer is worse than almost the entire list and he was respected there (I think?), so probably pretty well. There's a reason why these guys are getting paid millions to ball.

lol.

Murder. NBA players would murder. Shutout type games. Yes even with the dudes you listed in their current state.

Pretty much murder

Boris Diaw would absolutely obliterate

Even Brian Scalabrine would dominate. These guys are on different level.

Every guy would dominate

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

NBA players would wreck any streetballer

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    How would the following players do in a game at Rucker against a team of the current best streetballers 6' and taller. Assume the Rucker crew has been practicing for a month for this occasion (you can use a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is laughed off the court and 10 is dropping 40+ points, or a triple double):

I think pretty much everyone here puts up basically a 20 point double double at worst, but I have friends who legitimately think NBA players who aren't Kobe/Lebron/Durant would get schooled at the park.
    Boris Diaw 4
    Austin Rivers 10
    JJ Barea 6
    Jimmer 8
    Jeremy Lin 9
    Kyle Korver 6
    Brian Roberts 4
    Gordon Hayward 7
    Jason Collins 2
    Devin Harris 8
    Nate Robinson 10

Didn't Brian Scalabrine already dominate some pick-up ballers in some sort of event?

ETA: Quick Google search turned up this:

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...4445--nba.html

That link also features a 30-minute video of the action, and it becomes very clear very quickly that Scalabrine is on another level from these athletes. Even against decent competition — the first challenger, Matt Tomaszewski, was on Syracuse's roster just last season — Scalabrine owned everyone. The second and third games were both shutouts, and the six points scored included one two-pointer. In four games, Scalabrine conceded just five baskets.
    Last edited by KG215; 08-09-2014 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Didn't Brian Scalabrine already dominate some pick-up ballers in some sort of event?
    Yup, Scal owned them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYsrDDfaF38

Quote Originally Posted by duskovujosevic
    Thanks. Beat me to it.

I'm reminded of when, eight years ago when Sonny Weems came and played a few pick-up games at my old high school. It was my freshman year of college and my best friend was playing at the local JUCO and was teammates with Weems. We were freshman aged (18 and 19) and Weems had just turned 20 and we were playing against mostly high school seniors (17 and 18). These were good players. The friend I mentioned led us to a state championship the year before and won state tournament MVP in the process. He had offers to a number of small D1 schools and pretty prestigious D2 schools; so he of course was put on the opposite team of Sonny (with me) and we still didn't beat Sonny's team. Of the three returning starters from the state championship team that were still in high school, two were on our team so our team was about as stacked as reasonably possible.

Didn't matter. Sonny's team won every game and he dominated. My friend, who was a 6'4" combo guard and a damn good player, had a pretty difficult time handling Weems who had two inches and several tiers of athleticism on him. I'm 6'5" and longer than my friend, and wasn't too terribly unathletic at the time, and it was even worse when I tried guarding Sonny.

Of course at the time we didn't know Sonny would go onto lead his college team to the JUCO national championship while being named the consensus JUCO national player of the year, go on to have a solid two year career at the University of Arkansas, then go on to have a somewhat decent, albeit brief NBA career.
    Last edited by KG215; 08-09-2014 at 01:50 AM.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

They would rape. Even someone like Rivers who is a scrub in the NBA would look like prime Kobe and Joel Anthony would be like prime Wilt...

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    Well Rafer is worse than almost the entire list and he was respected there (I think?), so probably pretty well. There's a reason why these guys are getting paid millions to ball.
    Skip was definitely respected as one of the street balling elite during his day. He's also one of the few street heads who figured out the pro game and earned himself a decent living in the process.