Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default Re: I kinda feel for the Chris Webber and Paul Pierce types.

Paul didnt have that extra gear that tmac Kobe Vince all had. He was great and the best guy to model your game after.

Webber's injuries turned him. He was an elite athlete with ideal size as a PF. He could do anything and played good defense when he was forced to.

Webber is like the grant hill of PFs. New breed came early

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Antione Walker on why Pierce comes off the way he does(as a hater):

“Me knowing Paul’s competitive drive, Paul doesn’t believe LeBron’s that much better than him. And I do believe that. I remember him commenting about [Dwyane] Wade and people got mad because of what Paul said about D-Wade. Paul believes that he’s in that category. For whatever reason he doesn’t get that notoriety that those guys get. He’s not celebrated like those guys. He is that guy.”

Right, he's delusional. We already knew, lol.

The ironic part about that, however, is that you have to be delusional to reach your own personal potential... and if it works, you look amazing, if it doesn't, you can often come off as a clown. Go figure.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post

“Me knowing Paul’s competitive drive, Paul doesn’t believe LeBron’s that much better than him. And I do believe that. I remember him commenting about [Dwyane] Wade and people got mad because of what Paul said about D-Wade. Paul believes that he’s in that category. For whatever reason he doesn’t get that notoriety that those guys get. He’s not celebrated like those guys. He is that guy.”
    Yeah, PP is top 3 all-time in scoring and top 10 all-time in assists along with having more than 8,000 rebounds, 4 MVP's, etc. He's talking non-sense, and Antoine Walker is also dumb for supporting that claim. He was super-talented, yes, but as PP34Deuce said he was a notch below Kobe, T-Mac, AI or Vince. In fact, he was never close to winning a Regular Season MVP and I think he was never even on a 1st All-NBA. We're talking about different levels here.

However, I agree with most of the posters here that Webber is not that far off from the best PF of all-time conversation. He was a phenomenal player, could do it all, incredible court vision, very fun to watch. If he had won the MVP in 2001, played consistently like that troughout his career or won a ring in 2002 his name would probably be in the same breath as Duncan, KG or Dirk.

That's because paul pierce didn't do shit before the big 3. He literally had three seasons with more than 40 wins before 08.

Wade had a history before their big 3
    Kobe's legacy is well... well known
    Lebron as well (not as successful but when you make that many playoff appearances you get recognized)

Pierce was kicking ass for years but he just didnt have much help. He gets underrated because he wasn't a run and jump athlete but he had great skills and was very clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    That's because paul pierce didn't do shit before the big 3. He literally had three seasons with more than 40 wins before 08.

Wade had a history before their big 3
    Kobe's legacy is well... well known
    Lebron as well (not as successful but when you make that many playoff appearances you get recognized)
    He led a team to the ECF...

NBA sixth man of the year

Paul Pierce won finals MVP and there's a chunk of better players who didn't do that, so I don't really feel sorry for him.

Webber was an amazing player in 2002 but fell short to a dynasty. By 2004, he was already running around like a grandpa because his knee issues. Plus his timeout college thing. I actually do kind of fell sorry for him.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post

lol Yeah, he's really not. A guy like Wade was clearly on another tier. Pierce has never had that ability to carry a team the way Wade did in those two seasons before LeBron arrived. That's what keeps him in that Ray Allen, Clyde Drexler, Vince Carter etc tier and not up there with the elite/elite.

And lol at Webber could do whatever he want...yeah...except be efficient. The definition of a high volume scorer. He pretty much had nothing in the post, but an ugly little hook shot. You going on about "killing you with his jumper" is funny as it was nothing ever special. It certainly wasn't automatic or anything. Great all around player, but he never should have been allowed to shoot as much as he did. He's rightfully not talked about like Duncan, KG, and Dirk as he wasn't close to any of the three's level.
    Last edited by Smoke117; 09-09-2020 at 03:36 PM.

How about Bob McAdoo, who was playing peak Kareem to a standstill consistently throughout the mid to late 70's. Here's a good chunk of their h2h's

Kareem: 31/21/5 on 57%
    McAdoo: 32/8/1 on 65%

Kareem: 38/11/2 on 63%
    McAdoo: 36/9/3 on 65%

Kareem: 36/12/7/6 on 62%
    McAdoo: 37/7/2/3 on 42%

Kareem: 34/18/4 on 57%
    McAdoo: 38/13/1 on 52%

Kareem: 27/13/0
    McAdoo: 33/10/4

Kareem: 35/16/6/3/3 on 60%
    McAdoo: 38/12/4/4 on 48%

Kareem: 18/24/6/5 on 50%
    McAdoo: 36/15/2 on 33%

Kareem: 20/22/10/5 on 31%
    McAdoo: 41/15/4 on 44%

Kareem: 37/21/2 on 71%
    McAdoo: 34/22/5 on 54%

Kareem: 22/6/2 on 44%
    McAdoo: 28/17/7 on 61%

Kareem: 20/11/6/3 on 53%
    McAdoo: 38/7/6/3 on 71%
    Last edited by SouBeachTalents; 09-09-2020 at 03:43 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117 View Post
    lol Yeah, he's really not. A guy like Wade was clearly on another tier. Pierce has never had that ability to carry a team the way Wade did in those two seasons before LeBron arrived. That's what keeps him in that Ray Allen, Clyde Drexler, Vince Carter etc tier and not up there with the elite/elite.

And lol at Webber could do whatever he want...yeah...except be efficient. The definition of a high volume scorer. He pretty much had nothing in the post, but an ugly little hook shot. You going on about "killing you with his jumper" is funny as it was nothing ever special. It certainly wasn't automatic or anything. Great all around player, but he never should have been allowed to shoot as much as he did. He's rightfully not talked about like Duncan, KG, and Dirk as he wasn't close to any of the three's level.
    pierce used to carry the celtics to the playoffs just like wade did in the early 2000s what are you smoking.

And unlike Wade, his teams weren't first round exits every year.

Pierce dragged a shitty squad to the ECF his first playoff run. As soon as he got another all-nba player on his team they won a ring and went to another finals. Wtf.

Pierce is on Wade's level in my mind. Especially when it comes to getting tough playoff buckets.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el View Post
    Pierce dragged a shitty squad to the ECF his first playoff run. As soon as he got another all-nba player on his team they won a ring and went to another finals. Wtf.

Pierce is on Wade's level in my mind. Especially when it comes to getting tough playoff buckets.
    Yup... antoine walker sucked. negative splits every year.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el View Post

The east has literally never been worse than what it was in the early 2000s. You replace Pierce with Wade and the Celtics get significantly better in every instance. A prime Wade just plain has a significantly higher impact.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117 View Post

Except when they were on the same floor.

Him not being close is a “Looking back” thing. Webber plays any of them at his peak nobody thinks he’s out of his league. Webber or whoever was a perfectly valid question until years after they were actually playing each other. Before that last bad injury that turned him pure 18 foot shooter he was an equal matchup with almost everyone to ever play the 4.

Doesnt mean I’d take him over Duncan or Kg or whoever....but that’s a fair matchup on the court.

Not like it’s those guys vs someone who has to be on fire to match them. Normal Webber is gonna compete with anyone’s else’s normal.