Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

Default Re: Most down to earth/humble player stories?

I gave mean joe greene a coke and he gave me his jersey...

just joking..... players don't owe anything to anybody except regular common courtesy

this thread is indirectly about backhanded compliments...

Washed up streetballer ACCBaller1403's Avatar

Horace Grant when he was on the Bulls was at a local bakery in Deerfield, IL (where the Bulls practice facility was at the time...maybe still is?). I was 7 years old and a HUGE MJ fan but like most kids my age didn't really know the role players on the team, although to be fair to Horace he was no role player looking back.

Anyways, my dad told me to walk up to him and say "Great game last night, Mr. Grant." Horace said thanks, asked how old I was and what my name was, then asked when my bday was which happened to be a week later. He then bought me some ice cream for my bday and took a picture with me. Nicest athlete I've ever met.

John Paxson I met at a steak house in Chicago and he was also just a genuinely nice guy.

Also, Scottie Pippen's son, Antron, went to the same daycare as my sister. He would come in maybe once a month to pick his son up and all the kids would call him Michael Jordan. I happened to be there with my mom one time he came in and knew he was Scottie Pippen so I think he appreciated that. He signed my school notebook which was pretty awesome at the time.

On the other side of the coin, I met Andre Blatche at a Skins game and he was busy munching on a chili cheese dog (nice diet) and was too preoccupied with being a prick to bother with any fans. It's unfortunate because the three examples above I'll never forget even though I'm damn near 30. Just being nice to a kid can mean the world to him/her.

Good High School Starter Miller for 3's Avatar

David Robinson was a good dude. He built like a 4 million dollar school in Texas iirc

LeBron James charity bike ride

Rip Samurai Swoosh L8kersfan222's Avatar

People still saying durant is being insincere? Damn he must be trying very very very hard too look it, which is very down to earth/humble to me.

Manute Bol

R.I.P.

Born again Cavs fan bballnoob1192's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brisbaneman
    It's not humble if you broadcast it for the whole world. I'm getting sick of Durant's saccharine nature.
    well if you go by that then all televised charity event are BS and the only real nice things that people do are not seen on the media. then we really don't know anything that they do or do not do. so unless KD's family tells us he did something then he isnt a nice person? because everything he does is going to get televise

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bballnoob1192
    well if you go by that then all televised charity event are BS and the only real nice things that people do are not seen on the media. then we really don't know anything that they do or do not do. so unless KD's family tells us he did something then he isnt a nice person? because everything he does is going to get televise
    i'm sure he's a decent guy but he reminds me of all the people in school who would do all the special interest/EC things for brownie points or would participate in the events that happened to be publicized.

In 1998 I was just a seven year old kid living carefree in Los Angeles with my family. Everything came crashing down when I was diagnosed with Leukemia in February. This was devastating to me and my family. My family had courtside seats at the forum that year and I was heartbroken that I wouldn't be able to attend any more games. Ever since he entered the league in 1996, Kobe Bryant was my favorite player. I thought he had the potential to be a truly great player. When I was sitting courtside during a game in Kobe's rookie year he even signed a basketball for me and posed for a photo with me. He was a class act. After I was diagnosed in early 98' I was terribly sad I would no longer be able to see Kobe in person, so I began writing him letter. To my shock and amazement Kobe responded. It was an amazing moment for me. After responding we regularly communicated via letter. It shocked me that such a superstar could be so empathetic. The biggest shock however came in July of that very year. To my amazement Kobe made a surprise visit at my house. Kobe was such a warm and friendly guy, it was unbelievable. That summer Kobe would drop by at my house every Tuesday and Thursday. On occasion he would even make dinner for me. His potato salad was to die for. Kobe also made the best damn jambalaya you've ever seen. Kobe would even tell me scary bed time stories and sometimes tuck me in. It was amazing what his presence and warm demeanor did for my health. I ended up making a full recovery and I am always deeply thankful towards Kobe for his part in my recovery. Kobe even paid my medical bills and never asked for anything in return. He never brought a camera crew or someone from a local newspaper. He wasn't about the attention or the praise, he was just about helping out and being a positive role model.

To anyone who doubts what a great guy Kobe is, this is a great example.

Last edited by AngelEyes; 11-02-2011 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    In 1998 I was just a seven year old kid living carefree in Los Angeles with my family. Everything came crashing down when I was diagnosed with Leukemia in February. This was devastating to me and my family. My family had courtside seats at the forum that year and I was heartbroken that I wouldn't be able to attend any more games. Ever since he entered the league in 1996, Kobe Bryant was my favorite player. I thought he had the potential to be a truly great player. When I was sitting courtside during a game in Kobe's rookie year he even signed a basketball for me and posed for a photo with me. He was a class act. After I was diagnosed in early 98' I was terribly sad I would no longer be able to see Kobe in person, so I began writing him letter. To my shock and amazement Kobe responded. It was an amazing moment for me. After responding we regularly communicated via letter. It shocked me that such a superstar could be so empathetic. The biggest shock however came in July of that very year. To my amazement Kobe made a surprise visit at my house. Kobe was such a warm and friendly guy, it was unbelievable. That summer Kobe would drop by at my house every Tuesday and Thursday. It was amazing what his presence and warm demeanor did for my health. I ended up making a full recovery and I am always deeply thankful towards Kobe for his part in my recovery. Kobe even paid my medical bills and never asked for anything in return. He never brought a camera crew or someone from a local newspaper. He wasn't about the attention or the praise, he was just about helping out and being a positive role model.

He probably was mad as hell when you didn't step up to publicly support him during his trial.

Banned

In 1998 I was just a seven year old kid living carefree in Los Angeles with my family. Everything came crashing down when I was diagnosed with Leukemia in February. This was devastating to me and my family. My family had courtside seats at the forum that year and I was heartbroken that I wouldn't be able to attend any more games. Ever since he entered the league in 1996, Kobe Bryant was my favorite player. I thought he had the potential to be a truly great player. When I was sitting courtside during a game in Kobe's rookie year he even signed a basketball for me and posed for a photo with me. He was a class act. After I was diagnosed in early 98' I was terribly sad I would no longer be able to see Kobe in person, so I began writing him letter. To my shock and amazement Kobe responded. It was an amazing moment for me. After responding we regularly communicated via letter. It shocked me that such a superstar could be so empathetic. The biggest shock however came in July of that very year. To my amazement Kobe made a surprise visit at my house. Kobe was such a warm and friendly guy, it was unbelievable. That summer Kobe would drop by at my house every Tuesday and Thursday. It was amazing what his presence and warm demeanor did for my health. I ended up making a full recovery and I am always deeply thankful towards Kobe for his part in my recovery. Kobe even paid my medical bills and never asked for anything in return. He never brought a camera crew or someone from a local newspaper. He wasn't about the attention or the praise, he was just about helping out and being a positive role model.

what an great human being this guy is.

Rip Samurai Swoosh L8kersfan222's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OmniStrife
    He probably was mad as hell when you didn't step up to publicly support him during his trial.

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    In 1972, Doug Collins out of Southern Illinois was the #1 pick in the NBA draft, going to the Sixers. I was 13 and a die hard Sixers fan. So die hard I bought a limited season ticket package (13 games maybe?) with my paper route money.

That Sixers team went on to become the worst team in NBA history, going 9-73, largely because Collins broke his foot shortly after the season began. They were so bad I couldn't give away that other ticket to games, and had to beg my bro-in-law to ride the train with me so my folks would let me go.

I was devastated that my favorite player got hurt, and wrote him a letter proclaiming myself his #1 fan. A couple weeks later, I got a package in the mail with a 6 page, hand written letter from Collins, starting off with "I didn't think I had any fans in Philadelphia." He included an autographed picture, and we continued to correspond for what is now almost 40 years. Can't count the dinners, family visits, etc over the years. A great guy who has never forgotten that kid who believed in him. It's a friendship that has grown and stood the test of time.

Think any current top pick responds personally to fan letters?
    Thas an epic story, cudos!

Cant argue with David Robinson and Manute Bol, those contributed to society more than majority of NBA players combined, and we know only a fraction of their works

Very good NBA starter

In 1998 I was just a seven year old kid living carefree in Los Angeles with my family. Everything came crashing down when I was diagnosed with Leukemia in February. This was devastating to me and my family. My family had courtside seats at the forum that year and I was heartbroken that I wouldn't be able to attend any more games. Ever since he entered the league in 1996, Kobe Bryant was my favorite player. I thought he had the potential to be a truly great player. When I was sitting courtside during a game in Kobe's rookie year he even signed a basketball for me and posed for a photo with me. He was a class act. After I was diagnosed in early 98' I was terribly sad I would no longer be able to see Kobe in person, so I began writing him letter. To my shock and amazement Kobe responded. It was an amazing moment for me. After responding we regularly communicated via letter. It shocked me that such a superstar could be so empathetic. The biggest shock however came in July of that very year. To my amazement Kobe made a surprise visit at my house. Kobe was such a warm and friendly guy, it was unbelievable. That summer Kobe would drop by at my house every Tuesday and Thursday. On occasion he would even make dinner for me. His potato salad was to die for. It was amazing what his presence and warm demeanor did for my health. I ended up making a full recovery and I am always deeply thankful towards Kobe for his part in my recovery. Kobe even paid my medical bills and never asked for anything in return. He never brought a camera crew or someone from a local newspaper. He wasn't about the attention or the praise, he was just about helping out and being a positive role model.

Godbe.