Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default If LeBron went to college, how much do you think he would have averaged?

I say about 26 PPG, 10 RPG, 4 APG

I rule the local playground GoSpursGo1984's Avatar

Default Re: If LeBron went to college, how much do you think he would have averaged?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    I say about 26 PPG, 10 RPG, 4 APG
    I do not think he would averaged as many points because in college the offense is not as wide open but probably 20pts 5 assists

Default Re: If LeBron went to college, how much do you think he would have averaged?

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpursGo1984
    I do not think he would averaged as many points because in college the offense is not as wide open but probably 20pts 5 assists
    How much did Jimmer average for a while? 28 or so I think. LeBron could have averaged +30 points in an offense centered around him (as it should be).

Most college coaches would see his abilities and let him do his best impersonation of '87 MJ IMO.

Earned not given

23 points, 12 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals on 52% FG and 75% FT

DON'T FEED THE TROLL arifgokcen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpursGo1984
    He averaged 20.9ppg and 5.9 apg in his rookie season against NBA players and you expect him to average less than that against scrubs.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense

Earned not given

Quote Originally Posted by arifgokcen
    He averaged 20.9ppg and 5.9 apg in his rookie season against NBA players and you expect him to average less than that against scrubs.

But you have to think there would be games where they'd blow teams out and LeBron would sit to rest and prevent injury. That would pull his numbers down a bit.

DON'T FEED THE TROLL arifgokcen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one6
    But you have to think there would be games where they'd blow teams out and LeBron would sit to rest and prevent injury. That would pull his numbers down a bit.
    He is playing against inferior competition you try putting it everyway his stats is not gonna take a hit.Had that been true his high school stats would have taken a hit in the first place.His team lost only 6 times(2 games was forfeit and some other thing) during his entire highschool career.His HS school team in his senior year was so dominant that they didnt have a close game.One loss was actually forfeit.His stats were 31.6ppg 9.6rpg 4.6apg .

So please stop the argument.
    Last edited by arifgokcen; 10-21-2012 at 02:47 PM.

NBA lottery pick

33 13 and 4 assist

Local High School Star MasterDurant24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arifgokcen

Players in the past have increased their numbers their rookie year in the league.

Compare his stats from his first year in NBA with other stars who attended college and a few extra points for special talent.

Kevin Durant and Melo averaged 20 ppg in their first year in NBA, just like Lebron and they ended up at 22 ppg(Melo) and 26(Durant) ppg in College. And since Lebron was much better than those guys at 18, I'd say 25 ppg, 10 rpg and 5 apg.

Lesser numbers than most people would think. Lebron doesn't strike me as the type of guy to put up monster numbers on college. It's a different type of game. You don't just gather a head of steam and bowl everyone over and dunk on them in NCAA ball. And the passing lanes aren't as wide open. That's why top PG prospects usually have way better numbers in the pros, while guys who are really good at coming off screens and catch/shooting, and who have lots of off-ball and on-ball moves often put up huge numbers (Nick Young, Morrison, Juan Dixon, and of course JJ Reddick). Plus, the game is only 40 minutes.

He would have been dominant, but I bet he wouldn't put up Durant-type numbers. Heck, their rookie years, people weren't sure if Melo outperformed him. He barely put up 20ppg. In an NBA that favors individual numbers, on a team that just gave him the ball all the time.

Dwyane Wade averaged about 22ppg his soph year of college. I'd put Lebron around there. He certainly wouldn't have put up 30+.

2.7 G[COLOR="Black"]P[/COLOR]A

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by upside24
    How much did Jimmer average for a while? 28 or so I think. LeBron could have averaged +30 points in an offense centered around him (as it should be).

Most college coaches would see his abilities and let him do his best impersonation of '87 MJ IMO.
    Jimmer is a pure shooter. The college game tends to benefit guys that are pure shooters. Lebron is not a pure shooter, but depending on what type of system he played in he would have put up great numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    Jimmer is a pure shooter. The college game tends to benefit guys that are pure shooters. Lebron is not a pure shooter, but depending on what type of system he played in he would have put up great numbers.
    That's true.

Some of you seem to have very little grasp on how college basketball works. The systems in place at the vast majority of the major programs, with other elite prospects, do not lend themselves to one player coming in and putting up big time numbers. Not to the extent of something like 25-12-5 like some of you are saying. Obviously it would depend on where he went to school. If he had stayed home and went to Ohio State (like he claims) then I think his numbers would've been better than somewhere like Kentucky, UNC, Duke, etc. There's plenty of instances where the best players in college came in and put put better numbers their rookie season in the NBA than they ever did in college.

I'd have to look, but I'm pretty sure in what would've been his one year of college basketball (because I'm assuming he would've been a one-and-done even thought that was before the rule was put in place) Ohio State wasn't any good, so LeBron would've had to carry the team. So, if LeBron played at Ohio State I don't think something like a 22-10-5 stat line would've been out of the question. I believe Carmelo was a 20+ and 10 guy his one year at Syracuse.

But if he goes to one of the "Blue Blood" schools, then something like 18-20 PPG, 7-8 RPG, and 4-5 APG is probably more realistic. Those systems, and the number of blowouts those teams find themselves in every year, just don't lend themselves to any one player putting up huge numbers. On top of that, there's less floor spacing and more zone defenses in college. Two things that don't play into LeBron's strengths.
    Last edited by KG215; 10-21-2012 at 03:44 PM.