Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Tomb Raider is awesome

Great game, best I've played in awhile. I sucked ass at getting the GPS things though. I didn't even get 50% of them during the campaign, I got almost 75% on documents during the campaign, I was one shy.

It seems like a challenge to finish leveling up your character though. Because I've been killing pretty much every guy I see but they're so few and far between that even finishing up three of the areas I've still got almost 2 full levels yet.

Granted I have three tombs as well but still.

Dont H8 the Laker H8er glidedrxlr22's Avatar

I'm a little over half done with this game. It's been great so far. It's definitely similar to Uncharted, but it doesn't feel like a clone. It creates its own identity. Uncharted is more colorful and lighter in tone. Tomb Raider is grittier and darker. The cover mechanic and the gun play is better in TR. I would still give the slight nudge to the Uncharted series. After another game or two, I could see the TR series going blow for blow with Uncharted. I totally recommend TR.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    Great game, best I've played in awhile. I sucked ass at getting the GPS things though. I didn't even get 50% of them during the campaign, I got almost 75% on documents during the campaign, I was one shy.

It seems like a challenge to finish leveling up your character though. Because I've been killing pretty much every guy I see but they're so few and far between that even finishing up three of the areas I've still got almost 2 full levels yet.

Granted I have three tombs as well but still.

It is a challenge to max out the perks. I'm pretty sociopathic about the collectables for some reason. I managed to get to nearly 100% on all the GPS, Letters, and treasure chests on the first go through. Those things give out tons of XP, so they're critical to get in upgrading, because I found all but a couple items and still didn't max out until just before the final level.

Also, if you find the secret tombs, they'll yeild maps that will show you where the GPS's and various other items are. In addition to giving you a ton of XP on their own.

The only thing they won't show you are the level specific bonus challenges, like shooting the dreamcatchers in the first level. Those give you XP too, but they're really hard to find. I managed to close out every level but three on those. One of which I didn't find a single of the items on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    It is a challenge to max out the perks. I'm pretty sociopathic about the collectables for some reason. I managed to get to nearly 100% on all the GPS, Letters, and treasure chests on the first go through. Those things give out tons of XP, so they're critical to get in upgrading, because I found all but a couple items and still didn't max out until just before the final level.

Also, if you find the secret tombs, they'll yeild maps that will show you where the GPS's and various other items are. In addition to giving you a ton of XP on their own.

The only thing they won't show you are the level specific bonus challenges, like shooting the dreamcatchers in the first level. Those give you XP too, but they're really hard to find. I managed to close out every level but three on those. One of which I didn't find a single of the items on my own.
    I maxed out the perks, surprisingly easily after I made that post.

Now though I've got to max out the weapons. I thought I only had the shotgun left, but apparently I was missing a rifle part and that added two more things. I can't find anyone else to shoot for salvage, and I usually scour the areas pretty thoroughly. and to finish maxing out I need 1K. Maybe there will be some story DLC later on that'll get me closer. Because it's not worth the hassle right now of scavenging animals for awhile.

Beat all the tombs, got all the documents, GPS caches, and artifacts. Just have the challenges left. I'm with you on the challenges though, there's I think 4 I didn't finish. The eggs, the mushrooms which I'm pretty sure is goddamn impossible. I cannot find the two I need there at all, the burn the sacks thing mostly because I hate that level (it's the one where there's bodies/limbs everywhere and you shoot tons of gas things), and one other I believe. The one I didn't find at all was the sun things, but I couldn't figure out how to get one of the documents without using youtube so I knocked that out with a friendly video guide took me all of maybe 10 minutes.

I maxed out the perks, surprisingly easily after I made that post.

Now though I've got to max out the weapons. I thought I only had the shotgun left, but apparently I was missing a rifle part and that added two more things. I can't find anyone else to shoot for salvage, and I usually scour the areas pretty thoroughly. and to finish maxing out I need 1K. Maybe there will be some story DLC later on that'll get me closer. Because it's not worth the hassle right now of scavenging animals for awhile.

Beat all the tombs, got all the documents, GPS caches, and artifacts. Just have the challenges left. I'm with you on the challenges though, there's I think 4 I didn't finish. The eggs, the mushrooms which I'm pretty sure is goddamn impossible. I cannot find the two I need there at all, the burn the sacks thing mostly because I hate that level (it's the one where there's bodies/limbs everywhere and you shoot tons of gas things), and one other I believe. The one I didn't find at all was the sun things, but I couldn't figure out how to get one of the documents without using youtube so I knocked that out with a friendly video guide took me all of maybe 10 minutes.

The three I didn't get without help were:

The Sun things, which I frankly didn't even notice until I looked them up. And that's even after beating it and going back because I saw I was missing them, and even looking for them couldn't see them.

The exploding mines on the beach, which I found all but two of. Both of those were in the water, and while watching the video for it on youtube and tracking them down, one of the ones I missed I wound up just shooting in that general direction, because I still couldn't see the thing, even using the survival instinct vision.

And the last one was one you may still be missing, because that area doesn't have a base camp. I know I was checking them by running over the map base camp to base camp because it gives you a breakdown of where you stand in that particular region. But this area doesn't have one.
    It's the area off the beach that looks like a mountainside base, with a big window facing out of the side of a mountain over the sea. You need to rope arrow your way over there. The thing you have to find is called something like "former inhabitants". They're posters like they had in another level you have to burn. I got them all myself except for one, and that one was all the way up on a crane beyond the abandoned Jeep, just before you'd rope over to the boat. It's so high up you can barely see it, and you have to hit it with a burning arrow to burn it.

I'm not sure how to tell you to get more salvage. It's probably just crates you're missing. I know I was surprised it took me that long to ramp all the way up.
    I'd like to start over from the beginning with all my weapons and go at it really fast, but it doesn't appear to be an option. I noticed there's a trophy for rope arrowing guys and pulling them off ledges, something that never even occurred to me. I'd like to get it, but I don't want to start over completely and have to re-up my weapons.

The sun things were ridiculous.

I actually got the posters one, but only because when I was going back to get the missing documents I needed I had two in that area. I hated having to go back there. I think I might not have finished the mines one.

Did you get the secret trophy for killing the crab on the beach? Another one is talking to every other person in your group in the campaign. To be honest, I thought you could only talk to two of them, so I missed half the conversations.

I actually got the posters one, but only because when I was going back to get the missing documents I needed I had two in that area. I hated having to go back there. I think I might not have finished the mines one.

Did you get the secret trophy for killing the crab on the beach? Another one is talking to every other person in your group in the campaign. To be honest, I thought you could only talk to two of them, so I missed half the conversations.

I did get the crab trophy.

I'm not sure if I got the one for talking to everyone. I'd guess I talked to everybody, but I'm not positive.

And I got the couple easy poster ones, and a third I just missed, but that one that was up on that tower was absurd.

Banned

I've never played a Tomb Raider game before. Do you need to know the story to play this or is this seperate from the other games in the series?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    I've never played a Tomb Raider game before. Do you need to know the story to play this or is this seperate from the other games in the series?
    Nope, and it's absolutely terrific game.

This one is basically a prequel.

Banned

Nope, and it's absolutely terrific game.

This one is basically a prequel.
    Yay!

Just got this game yesterday, yet to play it, but by the sounds of things, looks good.
    Put the PS3 away for a while, though with a pretty bad back injury at the moment, I figured, get the PS3 out, play some games, since I got nothing better to do.

Going to be interesting to play this. Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3 are probably 2 of my favourite games ever. I'm actually playing the first one now on Crushing difficulty, so it will be good to see how it compares, although the first one is very much skeletal compared to number 2 and 3 in the Uncharted series.

Is there any trophy about finishing this on a particular difficulty, or should I just play on normal to get a good grasp of the game and story first time around. I will more than likely play this more than once anyway, but if there is a requirement such as finishing hard to unlock an even harder level, then I'd like to get it out of the way.

Sunshine State

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Just got this game yesterday, yet to play it, but by the sounds of things, looks good.
    Put the PS3 away for a while, though with a pretty bad back injury at the moment, I figured, get the PS3 out, play some games, since I got nothing better to do.

Going to be interesting to play this. Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3 are probably 2 of my favourite games ever. I'm actually playing the first one now on Crushing difficulty, so it will be good to see how it compares, although the first one is very much skeletal compared to number 2 and 3 in the Uncharted series.

Is there any trophy about finishing this on a particular difficulty, or should I just play on normal to get a good grasp of the game and story first time around. I will more than likely play this more than once anyway, but if there is a requirement such as finishing hard to unlock an even harder level, then I'd like to get it out of the way.
    There aren't any difficulty trophies which is weird, but there are a bunch of multiplayer ones which is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Shaqtus
    There aren't any difficulty trophies which is weird, but there are a bunch of multiplayer ones which is annoying.
    And the nextgen is gonna have those too.

Banned

hi rose