Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Roy Hibbert fined $75k for remarks

As much as I love the guy...

How much would KG's fine be if they bothered to look back at all the ridiculous language that's come out of his mouth and into the ears of people watching Wolves/Celtics games?

Very good NBA starter Orlando Magic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    75k for something that didn't impact the game at all.
    Yet only 5-10k for this:

NBA =
    Hahaha, holy shit, I was thinking the exact same thing.

And you gotta believe the only reason they care about fining anyone anything in the first place is because of brand integrity/image.

But why/how the NBA views offensive language as more damaging to their brand than flopping... well... I have no ****ing clue.

Well, it was for his "Vulgar language," so that probably includes the "Mother****ers" he pulled as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    Well, it was for his "Vulgar language," so that probably includes the "Mother****ers" he pulled as well.
    Yup, which is a bigger deal IMO

Local High School Star

Unsurprising.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Magic
    Hahaha, holy shit, I was thinking the exact same thing.

And you gotta believe the only reason they care about fining anyone anything in the first place is because of brand integrity/image.

But why/how the NBA views offensive language as more damaging to their brand than flopping... well... I have no ****ing clue.
    So one of your employees calling you an old crackerazzcracker will receive less of a punishment than someone that flops...

it was for the "motherfucker" and not for "no homo". Whether we like it or not, a player of the best basketball league should not be calling media members "motherfuckers" even if he feels like media isn't doing its job well. This way coaches/media members can call players "motherfuckers" for playing bad and wasting their time.
    also, Kobe got fined $100k for his incident in 2011. Kobe didn't even say those words while sitting near a mic like hibbert.
    Last edited by Rose'sACL; 06-02-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Rose'sACL
    it was for the "motherfucker" and not for "no homo". Whether we like it or not, a player of the best basketball league should not be calling media members "motherfuckers" even if he feels like media isn't doing its job well. This way coaches/media members can call players "motherfuckers" for playing bad and wasting their time.
    Athletes swear during their press conferences or comments, it's not a big deal. I've seen Kobe drop f bombs more times than I can remember without repercussions. It's a casual and loose, saying "MOtha****AS" wasn't an insult to the media.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Just eliminate those post game interviews if you are so worried about your athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by CanYouDigIt
    So one of your employees calling you an old crackerazzcracker will receive less of a punishment than someone that flops...
    this. people don't understand that you can't call a group of people you don't know "motherfuckers" on tv while being a player in the best basketball league in the world.
    i think flopping should result in a tech but i also think that this fine is completely justified.

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    Athletes swear during their press conferences or comments, it's not a big deal. I've seen Kobe drop f bombs more times than I can remember without repercussions. It's a casual and loose, saying "MOtha****AS" wasn't an insult to the media.
    Still something you can't say in public, especially directed at the media

Quote Originally Posted by DropStep
    Just eliminate those post game interviews if you are so worried about your athletes.
    or athletes can start acting like grown-ups. he could have easily said the same thing without using the word "motherfuckers"

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy
    Still something you can't say in public, especially directed at the media
    If he didn't say the no homo comments he wouldn't be getting fined for swearing. It's not a big deal as long as he doesn't start making it a part of every press conference then he's just going overboard.

If he didn't say the no homo comments he wouldn't be getting fined for swearing. It's not a big deal as long as he doesn't start making it a part of every press conference then he's just going overboard.
    I strongly believe that he got fined for using the word motherfuckers. No one outside of ESPN thinks "no homo" is a gay slur.
    As a professional in that position he is entrusted with certain responsibilities, one of which is to not use certain language. And it's not just implied, every player coming into the league is taught certain things, this being one of them.
    Last edited by Rose'sACL; 06-02-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Disagree. Can't call the media "motherfvckers" on national TV. That's an obvious fine to me