Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Default Lakers beat Celtics to take Game 5. Post-game discussion here

The Lakers held off the Celtics to send the series back to Boston for Game 6, which will be Tuesday night.

The pre-game and live game discussion was here: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91536

Discuss what went down in Game 5 and the series now

Default Lakers Celtics Game 5 Post Game Analysis

Just to say a great game by Paul Pierce, really attacked us off the dribble, and also running the pick and roll so well. Kg didnt show up for the Celts at all and those missed freethrows were crucial.

Lakers played struggled all night after taking that early lead through a red hot kobe (something which he failed to rekindle later in the game). I am impressed with the fact that Boston late in the game kept shifting the defence infront of kobe rather then jus getting their man and waiting for kobe to make his move. Odom had a decent game for us, dont know why phil subbed him there for a stretch in the fourth for luke walton ( more on phil later). Pau showed his balls might have finally dropped, he still came with some soft moves at times when he could have gone harder into the defense most memorably late in the game with garnett on 5 fouls he bailed him out by settling for a fading right handed jump hook 5 feet from the hole rather then going up strong and forcing contact. Our defense on the inbounds play was terrible all game whether the baseline or the sideline which I think again is a coaching error.

Phils subs pattern made no sense all game, and am really wondering what is going through the mans head today. Playing Chris Mihm who hasnt touched a basketball this year is inexcusable.

All in all we grinded out the win and our bigs showed some character and heart tonight. Kobe had another subpar game by his standard and really was a non factor for long stretches of the game. The team got the win tonight, however it doesnt look to good for us in boston if this is how we will play.

PS 3000th POST

Superstar

Default Re: Lakers beat Celtics to take Game 5. Post-game discussion here

I'm glad LA won obviously, extend this to 6 games BUT

Gave up a 19 pt lead in like 6 mins (learn from their mistakes?)
    Gave up a 14 4th qtr lead in like 3-4 mins
    Horrible, stupid defense throughout the game

Gonna have to play much much better to win in Boston.

Banned

Pierce and even arguably Allen have outplayed Kobe significantly this series. Pierce at the very least. Allen's played as well as Kobe has at a minimum.

Kobe laid another egg tonight. Why do people talk about his basketball IQ when he cant even figure out that you dont beat a box and 1 by dribbling the ball and attacking from the top of the key. Dude just doesnt get it. He did the same thing vs. Phoenix when they ran the box last postseason. Great basketball IQ my ass.

Too bad Pierce's unbelievable performance was wasted on a loss. He was incredible.

Saw a basketball once

and Paul Pierce shows Kobe who the better player is

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

I'll repost it here:

---------------

The Celtics are playing a lot better. Props to them. They will probably win the series and deservedly so.

I'm still not disappointed. And if you are a Laker fan, you shoudn't be either.

First off, before the season started and even during the season noone thought the Lakers would win it all. Yet they are in the Finals. Secondly, the Celtics play Kobe very well. He is finding his teammates though. He is mad tired. Sure, it was not the best game of his life but he had a great season and playoffs. The defense is very good on him and he is tired.

BTW, since the Celtics look like the better team - even though I'm rooting for the Lakers - I'm not THAT disappointed Boston will probably win this series. They deserve it more based on these 5 games.

The Lakers still had a nice season, and you guys shouldn't be disappointed. Had someone said in March we will play in the Finals and win at least two games there... you would have said great.

And it IS great. Boston just happens to play better for the time being.

Lakers were ready to give it up again to Boston but missed free throws and missed tip-ins killed Boston. Basically, Garnett choked.

Banned

Although the Lakers won (lucked out)....this game feels like a LOSS. Boston is clearly the superior team and Doc Rivers is clearly out-coaching Phil Jackson.

I really can't put my disappointment in Kobe Bryant's play into words. I'm beyond disgusted and past the point of being in shock. He wasn't looking to attack in the 4th quarter and his decision-making is atrocious. Kobe looked lost, dazed, confused, scared, tentative and gutless. I've NEVER seen him this intimidated by one team (Boston) and by one player (Pierce) since I started watching him play as a rookie in 1996. I don't know if it's a "mental block" or whatever....but Kobe and his legacy is FINISHED. He's been exposed in this series. For the so-called best "closer" and best "player".....Kobe has miserably FAILED once AGAIN in the NBA Finals (ala 2004).

KOBE WILL NEVER WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP AS A LEADER OF A BASKETBALL TEAM. This is a FACT and it pains me to admit this.

I have ZERO faith and confidence in him and in this team. Defensively, the Lakers are TRASH and Boston can do whatever, whenever and wherever they want to do. I expect the Celtics to win Game 6 going away.

They're the better team with the better Superstar player.

Local High School Star Kobe=MVP07`'s Avatar

1 thing to look at 3 pt Shooting

after kobes hot start 4-5 3ptfg lakers were ice cold with maybe two 3s after the half

The machine 0-5 kobe 0-5 [after the start] fish not a good shooting nite

bounce back! our made shots ruins there offense which ruins there defense on the next possession.

Hopefully LA are saving their best for last.
    I thought Jordan play terrific for us, huge lift off the bench.

Hopefully Sasha and Rad have big shooting games in Boston, and of course we won't win this series if Kobe continues to struggle offensively.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Celtics' inability to gather clutch rebounds, bad turnovers, and Garnett's choking killed them. I knew the game was over when he missed both of those FTs.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Rosecity, why do you talk so much crap when your team isnt even in the playoffs?

Makes me laugh everytime i read your posts

i never understood why the game thread can';t be the post-game thread as well.

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

That was a wild game. Both teams wanted it bad. The determination of Kobe's cast in particular was amazing. They really bailed him out. Boston still looks like the much better team though. As long as Stern's not involved I can't see this series lasting beyond Tuesday.

We didn't WIN the game....we SURVIVED it.

At least we live to fight another day. I really don't see us winning in Boston playing like this. Some HUGE changes will be needed man......and some bench players need to step the f*ck up.