Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Grizzlies to sign free agent Gilbert Arenas

Quote Originally Posted by dbugz
    unfortunately it didn't workout on AI
    http://blogs.commercialappeal.com/th...o-iverson.html

The first inclination of onlookers to the Grizzlies' acquisition of Gilbert Arenas is to compare it to the Allen Iverson debacle in 2009. But Griz general manager Chris Wallace offered a reasonable explanation for why this is a totally different deal when he appeared on Sports56 this morning.

"Gilbert was never the rock star that Allen was. Gilbert is in better physical condition than Allen was. Allen hadn't done anything all summer," Wallace said, adding that: "Gilbert desperately wants to get back in the NBA. He's a legit card-caring basketball junkie. He's only 30 years old. He feels he's got some years left in him. He doesn't have an issue coming off the bench. I don't think they're comparable situations."

Read: Gilbert is "desperate." I can tell you that Iverson was delusional. He lied to the Griz about being OK with coming off the bench. Then Iverson was a flat-out cancer after he arrived. He totally disrespected his teammates and then QUIT.

Arenas has never been painted as a bad guy before the gun incident with the Washington Wizards. That was Arenas being stupid. He's generally viewed as a bit goofy and eccentric but not a thug. Plus, Iverson was team owner Michael Heisley's idea and his alone. None of the Grizzlies' basketball people wanted Iverson. That was also the case with Jason Williams last year, and he QUIT.

This Arenas deal is all on Wallace, and it's a relatively risk-free proposition.

"We're not giving up an asset to do this," Wallace said, pointing out that Iverson essentially cost the team Hakim Warrick. The Griz rescinded Warricks' qualifying offer when Heisley got enamored with Iverson. The Griz could offer Iverson up to $5 million with the cash they saved by not keeping Warrick.

"On the surface it looks similar," Wallace said, "...but I went the through the AI situation and I'm involved in this. It isn't similar."

Rivalries Never Die Faptastrophe's Avatar

Default Re: Grizzlies to sign free agent Gilbert Arenas

Grizzlies sign Gilbert Arenas for vet. minimum.

Now y'all will really be gunning for the playoffs.

The 30-year-old continues to be paid by the Magic, who amnestied him in December with three years and $62MM+ remaining on his contract.
    The Magic really bit the bullet on this one.