Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Default Re: PickUp Game: Larry Bird VS Scottie Pippen

Well, anybody could beat each other one on one in the pros. I think I read an article how Fisher beat Kobe one on one a few times whenever they go at out. You even see guys like Sam Cassel vs Ray Allen or something.

With that said, I think I'll go with Bird. Bird would probably post Pippen up and shoot over him. But it would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19KVfK1xSdo

at 3:50, Scottie says he's always welcome to take a back seat to Larry Bird, LOL....homer
    Man that's a really nice interview. Respect to NBA legends.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Do you really think bird has the footspeed to stay in front of pippen?
    Eh. Well, Bird could sag back and dared him to shoot the jumper. Besides, it's not like he never defend ppl who were as fast like Wilkins, Worthy, Dr. J and others. It's not like they went by Bird every time that he guarded them. And it depends the type of defense that they'll play. If they are allowed to be physical and stuff.

Besides, it's one on one. Anything can happen. It's not like it's anything serious.

Quote Originally Posted by dude77
    I agree with you .. and when compared with a white player .. more frequently than not those players would be regarded as superior .. everyone knows this .. 'slow white man inferior syndrome' .. so that right there skews your analysis .. it's automatically biased
    If your fast and can jump out the gym, then your fast and can jump out the gym. Look at chris "birdman" anderson, dan "thunder dan" majrle, rex chapman, brent barry. Name a white guy that you feel is super athletic that hasn't got their due.

Bird has a rep for being slow-a-foot cuz well.....he was slow-a-foot. He buttered his bread with a wet jumper, high intangibles, being able to move well off the ball, timely passing, and clutch shots, and being great and being a free safety on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    Eh. Well, Bird could sag back and dared him to shoot the jumper. Besides, it's not like he never defend ppl who were as fast like Wilkins, Worthy, Dr. J and others. It's not like they went by Bird every time that he guarded them. And it depends the type of defense that they'll play. If they are allowed to be physical and stuff.

Besides, it's one on one. Anything can happen. It's not like it's anything serious.
    But you leave out 2 things mick. He either had help or didn't guard them.

And I'm assuming that in a one on one setting its gonna get physical since there's no refs.

If your fast and can jump out the gym, then your fast and can jump out the gym. Look at chris "birdman" anderson, dan "thunder dan" majrle, rex chapman, brent barry. Name a white guy that you feel is super athletic that hasn't got their due.

Bird has a rep for being slow-a-foot cuz well.....he was slow-a-foot. He buttered his bread with a wet jumper, high intangibles, being able to move well off the ball, timely passing, and clutch shots, and being great and being a free safety on defense.
    I get you but you keep missing the point .. now compare majerle, chapman, barry to another group, of black players at the same position .. which group is gonna be touted as 'faster', 'more athletic' .. this is the mentality that you have and most other people have .. it's fking up your argument because you're clearly biased

But you leave out 2 things mick. He either had help or didn't guard them.

And I'm assuming that in a one on one setting its gonna get physical since there's no refs.
    It's a mixture of everything. Sometimes he wouldn't guard him because he would be grabbing boards. Sometimes he would guard them, and stop them from driving every once and a while or help would come. There will be instances where Bird would have to guard one on one without help against those guys, and he did ok. He even guarded Michael Jordan at one point and stopped him from driving. Bottom line is that he wasn't the worst one on one defenders ever. He could hold his own against those guys. That's how it is in the NBA.

Yeah. So, they could probably beat each other. It's no big deal or anything like that. Fisher could beat Kobe one on one sometimes and etc. Who would win the most is something you would never know, but it's still no big deal. Nothing to lose your sock over for.

I get you but you keep missing the point .. now compare majerle, chapman, barry to another group, of black players at the same position .. which group is gonna be touted as 'faster', 'more athletic' .. this is the mentality that you have and most other people have .. it's fking up your argument because you're clearly biased
    I get your point. A white basketball player is similar to a black quarterback in that they must work alittle harder to prove themselves. But I stand by the notion that if your good, you'll get a shot.

In an effort to answer your question...

Jr rider id say is similar to dan majrle, but id take marjle over him if both are in their primes and rider has his head on straight.

Id say chris anderson is similar to serge ibaka

Rex chapman maybe tyreke evans

Now answer this question for me, what whit guy do you feel is in the nba that doesn't get their due

Also dude, I'm not one of those guys that feels blacks are better basketball players than whites. I honestly would take john stockton over magic (which I've gottne laughed at for saying lol), I feel toni kukoc is wayyy underrated, and would take him over lamar odom easily.

Local High School Star Bernie Nips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    Naw dude, Bird gets overrated because he's white, don't get me wrong, he's an all time great but he is not better than Jordan, Magic, Wilt or KAJ for example.

Bird won 3 titles with that Celtics team, should've won more, Magic spanked Bird 2 out of 3 times...Larry is a legend but he's not the greatest, stop overrating him.
    I'd have him better than Magic.

Magic beat Bird twice in the Finals, sure. But did Bird have another Top 10 GOAT on his team? Nope. Bird was just something else. Those who underrate him now are doing it with revisionist history. At the time, he was being discussed as the GOAT. That's AFTER Russell, Wilt, KAJ's prime and at the same time as Magic's.

Nowadays people don't go back and watch full games of Bird, Magic, KAJ and all the other greats, they go off reputation, stats, accolades and rings. What Bird accomplished was insane. Took a 29 win team to 61 wins in his rookie year. Sure, Magic got a ring in his rookie year, but he had KAJ on his team (who won the MVP that year). What did Bird have?

bird can not drive on pip.
    it depends if his jumper is on.
    21 makes vs pip? i dont think so i'd be very close.

Also dude, I'm not one of those guys that feels blacks are better basketball players than whites. I honestly would take john stockton over magic (which I've gottne laughed at for saying lol), I feel toni kukoc is wayyy underrated, and would take him over lamar odom easily.
    kukoc>>>>odom

College star

this guy just compared Bird to Reggie Miller offensively. There is nothing more to say

Quote Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
    this guy just compared Bird to Reggie Miller offensively. There is nothing more to say
    Who compared bird to miller offensively? I hope you don't mean me. I said their styles are similar. Similar in that they both looked to score off picks and screens and curls. And had wet jumpers. And really didn't attack the basket off the dribble.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1&p2=pippesc01

Pippen and Bird (Head to head matchup)