Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: The NBA is without question Rigged

Quote Originally Posted by shady6121
    stfu, out of all fans, I can't believe a "Mavericks fan" is saying otherwise. The Mavs were robbed of a title in 2006 because the league wanted to create a "star" in Dwyane Wade. It's getting more and more ridiculous as seasons pass by. In 2002 the Kings were also robbed of a title because the league wanted to protect TV ratings.

Dirk Nowitzki should be a two-time NBA Champion and a two-time Finals MVP, not a one-time NBA Champion and a one-time NBA Finals MVP.
    I can see arguments about past stuff, but I don't buy them post Donaghy. The risk is just absolutely not worth the reward.

If it came out now that the NBA was rigging games. The league would be ruined forever.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    I wonder, do people like you even enjoy watching basketball? If watching basketball consisted of me complaining about calls all game, and claiming the NBA is rigged... I just wouldn't watch basketball.
    It's my favorite sport so I love watching it. But in certain games the refs take away from the excitement. How did you feel about the last Lakers-Warriors game this season?

NBA Fan

Quote Originally Posted by kamil
    I know of that, but it doesn't seem like it stopped anything rigging, just look at the last 10 games of the regular season for the Lakers this year.

Everytime they get a ton of favourable calls, its never taken seriously.
    The Celtics were robbed of a title in 2010 and even I, as a Celtics hater, admit this. The Lakers in the 4th quarter of game 7 of that series were getting ridiculous calls in their favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Foster5k
    You must never watch the NFL.
    I watch the NFL all the time in-season. There is no way, shape or form the same amount of skepticism surrounding NFL official as NBA refs. It isn't even close.

Nor is it pertinent to this discussion. This is the NBA refs we're talking about.

The Celtics were robbed of a title in 2010 and even I, as a Celtics hater, admit this. The Lakers in the 4th quarter of game 7 of that series were getting ridiculous calls in their favor.
    Has any Laker fan ever come out and said 'We didn't deserve the win.' ??

NBA Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    I watch the NFL all the time in-season. There is no way, shape or form the same amount of skepticism surrounding NFL official as NBA refs. It isn't even close.

Nor is it pertinent to this discussion. This is the NBA refs we're talking about.
    This, isn't it kind of ridiculous that in the NBA, the same teams win all the time? While on the other hand in other major sports leagues like MLB and the NFL, different teams win almost every year?

+1, 20+ fts in 1 quarter for LAL. LAL could play physical defense with no fouls, but on the other hand, Celtics got called for touch fouls.

This, isn't it kind of ridiculous that in the NBA, the same teams win all the time? While on the other hand in other major sports leagues like MLB and the NFL, different teams win almost every year?
    I could actually live with certain teams dominating, if they did so through superior drafting, trades, etc. That wouldn't bother me at all, because it would just be an example of better franchises winning more.

Like you, though, I'm sickened by blatant one-sided officiating in the sport I love. Stern has forever ruined the integrity of the game, and he'll never pay a penalty for it.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    It is not rigged. The number of games that could potentially be called "rigged" could be counted on one hand in the history of the league probably.

Refs are human. They get caught up in the emotion of big crowds, momentum, and player histories/reps.

What people don't understand about "superstar calls" for example...is that you have to earn you way to being a superstar before you get them.

And the NBA would have no interest in seeing the Clips win in 5 games. They want that series going 7 if they had a choice. So that makes no sense.

So accusing the NBA of wanting a series to get cut short makes absolutely no sense at all.
    I hoped the Nets would pull this game out, but the level of rigged-ness was shown in the game today. The Nets were supposed to win and got some big calls down the stretch. However, the Bulls came through in the end. Nate did some amazing shit.

So, I think the calls can be overcome. It's not like they're going to keep calling bullshit fouls. They only focus on important things. Like giving a team the ball back when they maybe shouldn't have got it, getting a box out call when the other team might have gotten the ball, or calling an obvious flop on Deron on the Bulls best (at least that night) player.

It IS rigged. It's influenced. Rigged might not be the right word. It's pushed enough. It's like, imagine if you were going to draw a card. There are what... 13 cards in each suit? Imagine you had to draw a card over 8 (since it starts at 2) and the dealer took all of the jacks out of the deck. Then imagine if they took all of the queens out the next time. Someone looking at it COULD convince themselves that nothing is happening when, in fact, the game is being pushed slightly in the favor of one team. If you look at my model and imagine many draws... 100s of draws, you can see (or maybe not?) what I mean.

-Smak

NBA rookie of the year Glide2keva's Avatar

Stop giving them excuses. If the games aren't "rigged", many of them are very heavily "influenced".

And in Bulls-Nets game, if the refs were "caught up in the emotion of big crowds", Chicago would have gotten more calls. The imbalance was obvious.
    This. Bulls almost got hosed.

Good college starter HorryIsMyMVP's Avatar

Clippers lose rigged game in a blow out

High School Varsity 6th Man The Real JW's Avatar

NBA lottery pick

People are innately skeptical. Everything is questioned and everything second guessed. Do a quick Google search for "NFL is rigged", and see how many links pop up. There are certain people that will believe any professional league is rigged for whatever reasons. Same for the NBA. The NBA is not rigged. Why are there so many questionable calls? Simple. The NBA is much harder to officiate than other sports. There is contact on every play. Five bodies trying to guard another five bodies while flying through the air, moving pass screens, trying to create turnovers, etc.

Put yourselves in the shoes of a NBA ref. There is no possible way you guys could do any better than the average official. Then you too would get blammed for "influencing" games/rigging games.

Quote Originally Posted by Foster5k
    People are innately skeptical. Everything is questioned and everything second guessed. Do a quick Google search for "NFL is rigged", and see how many links pop up. There are certain people that will believe any professional league is rigged for whatever reasons. Same for the NBA. NBA is not rigged. Why are there so many questionable calls? Simple. The NBA is much harder to officiate than other sports. There is contact on every play. Five bodies trying to guard another five bodies while flying through the air, moving pass screens, trying to create turnovers, etc.

Put yourselves in the shoes of a NBA ref. There is no possible way you guys could do any better than the average official. Then you too would get blammed for "influencing" games/rigging games.
    Stay on topic. We're discussing the NBA.

Everyone understands human error. We're not dumb. People make mistakes.

However, when those "mistakes" consistently favor one team over another, then there's a problem. Then its not "human error" but something way more deliberate.

When this happens over and over and over again, right before millions of eyes, certain conclusions become obvious and unavoidable.

NBA Fan

Stay on topic. We're discussing the NBA.

Everyone understands human error. We're not dumb. People make mistakes.

However, when those "mistakes" consistently favor one team over another, then there's a problem. Then its not "human error" but something way more deliberate.

When this happens over and over and over again, right before millions of eyes, certain conclusions become obvious and unavoidable.
    This.