Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star No_Look604's Avatar

Default Re: Charles Barkley: "Comparing Kobe to Jordan is ridiculous"

I'm a huge Kobe fan, but I hate this comparison.

everything Chuck said is true.....

however at the same time, it's like he's justifying his finals' losses to MJ too.

hahaha

I was not a Kobe fan 'til after Shaq left(combination of that = my kings got broken up)...plus he was just hella cocky as a rookie...+ that ELBOW ON BIBBY that was called a foul on Mike. wtf

I just enjoy watching this guy compete = his creativity on offence.

There's one thing all you haters cannot deny....

Kobe's been doing his thing for over 10 years!!!!

I don't see these other stars dominate for that long....this is special.

All you LBJ homers, put a dick in your ear and fcuk what you heard.

KOBE is #1.......although I'm sane enough to admit that he shoots about 5-7 he shouldn't during a game...

not too many people are creating for him, so I can't blame him.

Kobe, Gasol = 3 rings and IT'S A WRAP (still not better than Mj tho)

***KObe please facialize Dwight again////rest your ******* on his chin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by No_Look604; 06-10-2009 at 04:30 AM.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bruceblitz
    "This could be Kobe's first ring as a leader"

"You wont be on any list unless you win a championship with 'your team'"
    This is ironic considering the source. So Barkley thinks he does not belong at the top of the list of great NBA players because he never won a ring? Barkley was on PTI yesterday saying he does not like how not having a championship is held against players like him, Ewing, Mullin, and Miller.

.Hmm Pippen was one of the best defenders in league during 90-91 season plus he avg 21 pts, 9 boards,6 Asts and 2.5 steals while shooting 50% easy top 50 material. As for Gasol no way he is good PF he is doubtful to make it to even HoF even if the Lakers win couple titles. Because of how many active PFs there are that are ahead of him.
    Good post.

He won a title in 1991 with no other allstar.
    Pippen was an all-star in 1990 and he improved across the board in 1991. He was clearly all-star caliber in 1991 and definitely at least top 5 at his position. He then proceeded to make the all-star team in 1992, 1993, 1994 (all-star game MVP), 1995, 1996, and 1997. I guess you guys think he was not all-star caliber in 1998 because he did not make the team because he played in only 9 games before the ASG--even though he was the second best player at his position at the time.

Why the need to create Paul Bunyan type myths around the "clear GOAT"? If MJ could win "by himself" where was he before Pippen/Grant became starters and where was he in Washington (where he was still a 23 ppg scorer in his first season and averaged 20 ppg in his second)? MJ has said he prayed for someone like Scottie to come to/emerge in Chicago...

I was being sarcastic, I dont think anyone thought of Pippen as a top 50 player all time in the 90/91 season and LeBron was no top 50 player in his 3rd season was my point.
    You guys are parsing over something that is irrelevant. His point was that MJ had a huge talent, someone good enough to make the top 50/HOF, alongside him for his championships. 21/9/6, running the offense and world class defense had nothing to do with the Bulls finally winning a championship, though.

Truth is, you compare Kobe to Jordan more than anyone on the board with these threads
    I have noticed that too. Probably half his posts involve comparing MJ and Kobe.
    Last edited by Roundball_Rock; 06-10-2009 at 09:13 AM.

ippen was an all-star in 1990 and he improved across the board in 1991. He was clearly all-star caliber in 1991 and definitely at least top 5 at his position. He then proceeded to make the all-star team in 1992, 1993, 1994 (all-star game MVP), 1995, 1996, and 1997. I guess you guys think he was not all-star caliber in 1998 because he did not make the team because he played in only 9 games before the ASG--even though he was the second best player at his position at the time.
    He didn't make the team, no matter how much coulda woulda shoulda you want to talk about. But anyway, no one with any sense thinks that you can win an NBA title without a solid team around you. The point is that Jordan won six titles without a dominant low post presence, which is unheard of in NBA history. You can tout Pippen, Grant, Rodman but ultimately those Bulls teams weren't chock full of out of this world talent. They just made the best use of what they had, and they had the GOAT.

Why the need to create Paul Bunyan type myths around the "clear GOAT"? If MJ could win "by himself" where was he before Pippen/Grant became starters and where was he in Washington (where he was still a 23 ppg scorer in his first season and averaged 20 ppg in his second)? MJ has said he prayed for someone like Scottie to come to/emerge in Chicago...
    This is stupid. As I mentioned, you need a team around you and as soon as he got one, he wasn't to be denied. As for Washington, that just showed even MORE why he is GOAt. He was two years removed from the league, on a bum knee at FORTY expected to be the franchise player. To try to fault him for that, without taking into account that he still played at a very high level despite the lack of a team around him, is to show a lack of bball understanding as well as a lack of understanding about the Washingon situation. The Wiz were on pace to make the playoffs one of the years, having won something like 11 straight before Rip Hamilton went down. Once Rip was lost, their playoff hopes were over. Had he played, there is no doubt the Wizards would have made it. Further, had Jordan done what he should have, and gone to a contender, given how he played that year as the man (and given that he wouldn't have had to be the man on a contender) there is a strong chance he could have won another ring. Whatever the case, using Washingot as a reason to slight him is foolish.

You guys are parsing over something that is irrelevant. His point was that MJ had a huge talent, someone good enough to make the top 50/HOF, alongside him for his championships. 21/9/6, running the offense and world class defense had nothing to do with the Bulls finally winning a championship, though.

He had talent. So what? Who denies that? But Pippen was no Shaquille O'Neal in his prime that's for damn sure.

I have noticed that too. Probably half his posts involve comparing MJ and Kobe.
    I can make a pledge not to even mention the absurd comparison of Jordan to Kobe if ISH agrees to ban all Kobe Fanatic assh*les who do it and I'm sure blitz would agree to that. It's the ignorant Kobe Fanboys who started it all, because anyone who knows anything about Jordan's career (and Kobe's) would have never made the comparison in the FIRST place. Get it? Probably not.

I would love to have Charles Barkley and Bill Walton commentate this series.

* Kobe fades right below the 3pt line with Lee all over him *

* SWISH *

Walton: [FONT="Lucida Console"]"OMG, you can't stop this guy. He's unstoppable; this is pure carnage, chaos and destruction by Kobe Bryant!" [/FONT]

Barkley: [FONT="Lucida Console"]"Hey Bill - will you just shut the hell up. Kobe Bryant this, Kobe Bryant that. Keep your hands where we can see 'em, I don't want to sit beside a man fondling himself to Black Mamba" [/FONT]

Dishonest, awful excuse of a fan cotdt's Avatar

The same Charles Barkley who said "Only God can stop Kobe! He's the best player in the world!"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4fmv...eature=related

Though I agree that Kobe's legacy so far does not even compare to Jordan's legacy. I think that's obvious to anyone.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

The point is that Jordan won six titles without a dominant low post presence, which is unheard of in NBA history.
    True.

I agree with you that every player needs a team around him to win. However, there are some in this thread who imply that Jordan won "by himself."

I also agree that MJ coming back at age 99 and STILL averaging 25 ppg before his injury and then 20 ppg is something that is definitely in his favor when assessing his legacy. I think people do not give enough weight to his Washington years--and that weight is positive.

I have not see any serious poster compare Kobe to Jordan, other than some insecure MJ fans like blitz. The people who say Kobe is the GOAT seem to be just gimmick accounts.

What is it with this "no dominant low post presence" thing? The Bulls dominated the low post with players like Dennis Rodman and Toni Kukoc. I think you guys are thinking that Luc Longley is a pretty average big man, might be true... but Jordan's Bulls as a team dominated the low post with a lot of help from their forwards.

this argument has been around since 2001 and the prognosis is still the same...

NO...

Kobe is not on Jordan's level and kobe fans still get upset when the truth is told here....

kobe has grown alot over the years, but he is no where near what Jordan was...

Quote Originally Posted by cotdt
    What is it with this "no dominant low post presence" thing? The Bulls dominated the low post with players like Dennis Rodman and Toni Kukoc. I think you guys are thinking that Luc Longley is a pretty average big man, might be true... but Jordan's Bulls as a team dominated the low post with a lot of help from their forwards.
    you mean the Dennis Rodman who has virtually none to little offensive game? or the 6'11" Kukoc who mostly roamed on the perimeter shooting 3s and jumpers. yeah great post up games they got. actually i take that back, Kukoc had an average post up game but its nowhere near as 'dominant'

this guy is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    you mean the Dennis Rodman who has virtually none to little offensive game? or the 6'11" Kukoc who mostly roamed on the perimeter shooting 3s and jumpers. yeah great post up games they got. actually i take that back, Kukoc had an average post up game but its nowhere near as 'dominant'
    they helped a lot in the defense. you're right though, the Bulls didn't have big offensive low post threat. but a LOT of championship teams did not have such players, so what's the argument again?

keep hating

I have not see any serious poster compare Kobe to Jordan, other than some insecure MJ fans like blitz. The people who say Kobe is the GOAT seem to be just gimmick accounts
    That's what I'm trying to tell you. Jordan fans aren't "insecure" (at least not the vast majority). They are just tired of years and years of Kobe fanatics trying to force the false comparison and that has resulted in many perhaps overdoing it to show that it's not valid. It's the old "what came first, the chicken or the egg". In this case, the Jordan comparisons by the media/ignorant Bryant fans came first. This caused an understandable backlash by Jordan fans/those that know his career. And while many of those (these days at least) may be gimmick accounts, you see allegedly "rational" Kobe fans doing little slick shyt like cosigning nebulous arguments like talking about how different the defense is today with these freakish athletes and zone defense (despite the fact that 40 year old, one knee two years out of the league Jordan played in today's league and still held his own and despite the fact that teams just don't zone that often and despite the fact that the rules were changed to benefit perimeter players, etc.) in an attempt to not come out and say Kobe is equal to or greater than Jordan but imply it. I see that all the time.
    Last edited by Knoe Itawl; 06-10-2009 at 10:53 AM.

National High School Star

Cant believe LooseLips started this thread. He compares the two more then anyone!

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock
    Yup. I think I posted some clips in another thread where some of the same people who propagate the Paul Bunyan myths were saying Pippen was useless in those games because of his offensive #s. I went on to show them highlights of the game with announcers clearly saying Pippen's defensive dominance (which led to many fast break points for Bulls/Jordan) was the main reason for the Bulls winning those specific games. His ability to dominate the game without putting up great numbers even forced Doug Collins to say, "This is why Michael Jordan refuses to play another game without Scottie Pippen", and yet for some reason he is reduced to a borderline all-star type of role in the media/on the forum . MJ may not have had a "dominant" low post presence, but lets not forget that needed probably the greatest #2 option ever to get it done.

Comparing Kobe's career to Jordan's career IS ridiculous but only Kobe haters do it. Put MJ's career side by side to Magic, Bird, Duncan, West etc etc and he puts them to shame too.
    Last edited by Fatal9; 06-10-2009 at 10:46 AM.

LOL @ Toni Kukoc "dominating" the low post. Are you smoking something? LOL @ Dennis Rodman dominating the low post. Perhaps defensively, but not offensively like those ring winners below. You're really going to compare them to the likes of:

Moses Malone
    Kareem
    Parish/McHale
    Tim Duncan
    Shaq
    Hakeem
    Lambier/Mahorn/Salley/Rodman - dominant low post by committee

All of whom make up key members of NBA championship teams for the past 25 years or so. Guess what team had none of them?

they helped a lot in the defense. you're right though, the Bulls didn't have big offensive low post threat. but a LOT of championship teams did not have such players, so what's the argument again?

keep hating
    Jordan was the only real low post threat that the Bulls had. Everyone else on that 2nd run at least, was there to perfectly compliment Jordan and the spacing that the triangle offense depended on. seems like you dont have any kind of argument and your only real argument is calling people 'haters'

great stuff chief.