Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: George Gervin on Grantland

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    While Ice was looking down on threes, he's not exactly wrong. He said good shooters shoot like 40%. Korver is shooting around 45%, and a few other good shooters like Steph are over 40...

I don't care about the efficiency shit of 33.3% threes = 50% of twos. I'm with Ice.

10/30 threes is the same amount of points as 15/30 twos... But I'd rather have the twos any day. That's 5 less long rebounds where someone could run out on you.

The three has really done some bad things to the league. Midrange is gone.
    Yeah, I'm probably with you in that regard. I just heard someone earlier in the thread mention the threes thing so I used that as my example about how he and my coach were similar from a frame of mind standpoint.

While Ice was looking down on threes, he's not exactly wrong. He said good shooters shoot like 40%. Korver is shooting around 45%, and a few other good shooters like Steph are over 40...

I don't care about the efficiency shit of 33.3% threes = 50% of twos. I'm with Ice.

10/30 threes is the same amount of points as 15/30 twos... But I'd rather have the twos any day. That's 5 less long rebounds where someone could run out on you.

The difference is 10/30 3's can be achieved by even scrub teams. That's just 33% shooting. The league is averaging 35.9% from the 3 this season

For instance, lets say a teams takes 30 3's a game at the league average. That 32.31 points. 32 if we round it. The league average for 2 pointers is 48.5% and that includes dunks, layups, and fast break points. Lets say a team shoots 48.5% from the midrange (no single team is capable of doing that). That's 29 points from 30 shots. The mid-range shot, while it's aesthetically pleasing, is one of the least efficient shots.

Yeah, putting MORE pressure on your front line to grab said offensive rebounds and get back on defense (long shots = long rebounds) isn't exactly facile.