Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Need help wth this NBA Mystery involving the bulls/pistons from 1991

Ok I remember the Pistons from 1987 to 1990 being so dominant by how they beat the Bulls, overtook the Celtics, and then beat the Lakers. So my question is how can a team that had just won the title in 1990 and beat the Bulls on their way to the title get swept by that same Bulls team the following season?

1. Who did the Bulls have on their team new to compete with the Pistons in 1991?

2. Who did the Pistons lose to prevent them from dominating the Bulls as usual?

I mean I know a team is not going to win forever but how in the hell did this great pistons team get swept when they just won the title the previous season? From my memory I believe that Laimbeer, Isiah, Dumars, Vinnie Johnson, Rodman, and John Salley was still on the team.

So if that's the case what the hell happened???

Default Re: Need help wth this NBA Mystery involving the bulls/pistons from 1991

Isiah Thomas' injury. Detroit was pretty old. Bulls was young and got better.

Default Re: Need help wth this NBA Mystery involving the bulls/pistons from 1991

MJ's will, Pistons not being hungry enough to win a 3rd title. Better team chemistry in the Bulls than their previous season.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan76
    Ok I remember the Pistons from 1987 to 1990 being so dominant by how they beat the Bulls, overtook the Celtics, and then beat the Lakers. So my question is how can a team that had just won the title in 1990 and beat the Bulls on their way to the title get swept by that same Bulls team the following season?

1. Who did the Bulls have on their team new to compete with the Pistons in 1991?

2. Who did the Pistons lose to prevent them from dominating the Bulls as usual?

I mean I know a team is not going to win forever but how in the hell did this great pistons team get swept when they just won the title the previous season? From my memory I believe that Laimbeer, Isiah, Dumars, Vinnie Johnson, Rodman, and John Salley was still on the team.

So if that's the case what the hell happened???
    Dominating? In 1989 the Bulls took the Pistons to 6 games in the ECF....Detroit's only two playoff losses that year. And in 1990 they took Detroit 7 games in the ECF.

Injuries, fatigue, and the Bulls / Jordan dead set on beating them.

Isaiah said it on Open Court recently. Phil as the coach and adding the triangle made Jordan a dual threat on offense since the offense allowed him to trust the 4th and 5th man on offense. It also put Jordan in many different spots on offense which confused the Pistons defense on when to trap and double.

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    Isaiah said it on Open Court recently. Phil as the coach and adding the triangle made Jordan a dual threat on offense since the offense allowed him to trust the 4th and 5th man on offense. It also put Jordan in many different spots on offense which confused the Pistons defense on when to trap and double.
    Isaiah did really well on open court. I hope he is on the rest
    Take 3D out put in Barkley. Perhaps replace hill with webber.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Isiah Thomas' injury. Detroit was pretty old. Bulls was young and got better.

How much could they have aged in one year?

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Dominating? In 1989 the Bulls took the Pistons to 6 games in the ECF....Detroit's only two playoff losses that year. And in 1990 they took Detroit 7 games in the ECF.

Which means that it should have been another 6 or 7 game series. It's just mind boggling how the series resulted in a Bulls sweep

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan76
    Which means that it should have been another 6 or 7 game series. It's just mind boggling how the series resulted in a Bulls sweep
    Ok, but that wasn't my points. You said the Pistons were dominating the Bulls before 1991, but they weren't.

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa

Oh ok so coach Daly was unable to adjust to what the bulls and showed his weakness as a coach

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Ok, but that wasn't my points. You said the Pistons were dominating the Bulls before 1991, but they weren't.

Ok maybe I should have used the word competitive instead of dominating.

Why are you guys crediting Jordan? He didnt have that will when they played them before?

The Bulls flat out just improved. And Thomas "injury" did not and could not swing that rivalry that much in the Bulls favor. They went from hard fought six and seven games series to winning in a sweep in dominating fashion.

The bottom line is the Bulls were just better than the Pistons

High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote Originally Posted by Spaulding
    Anyone know where to download/stream full episodes?

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spaulding
    Yeah, 3D was out of his realm. He kept deflecting questions and then tried to steal the moderator role from Ernie. Grant Hill was alright. He just seemed a little too young compared to the rest of the panel. Not sure how much insight he has for some of these topics.

I still prefer the original group. Except subtract Shaq for anyone. Give me Reggie, Barkley, Smith, Jet, Webber, Kerr, and not Shaq or 3D. Brent and Zeke are fine.