Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Serious playground baller

Default Top European teams vs. top NBA teams

There have been debates here on the same subject.

One of the top teams in Europe CSKA Moscow has beaten the Wolves in Minny and barely lost to the Spurs.

The Russian team's point guard Milos Teodosic BTW looked a million times better than Rubio, posting 26/9/5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rWodHdad2k0

The Spurs are the NBA finalists. Both teams are in preparation phase. There are at least 8-12 teams in the Euroleague at the level of CSKA.

Hence, I conclude that the top teams of Euroleague (not Fenerbahce Ulker, because they are definitively not among the top teams) can play on par with the best NBA teams.

On another note, remember when every once in while, on the eve of a major international championship (the Worlds or the Olympics), people on this forum say "Why don't we just send a NBA team there, they would kill everyone"?

I always felt it was ridiculous - other than the very best teams (Spurs, Heat, OKC) - NBA teams can't compete with the top world teams, because the latter are basically all-star national teams.

While I don't dispute the fact that NBA>>Euroleague, I think that people in the USA often don't realize that the top European teams are very close.

Banned

Default Re: Top European teams vs. top NBA teams

Meh. MLS teams do the same things to European club teams.

Quote Originally Posted by fandarko

One of the top teams in Europe CSKA Moscow has beaten the Wolves in Minny and barely lost to the Spurs.

The Russian team's point guard Milos Teodosic BTW looked a million times better than Rubio, posting 26/9/5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rWodHdad2k0

The Spurs are the NBA finalists. Both teams are in preparation phase. There are at least 8-12 teams in the Euroleague at the level of CSKA.

Hence, I conclude that the top teams of Euroleague (not Fenerbahce Ulker, because they are definitively not among the top teams) can play on par with the best NBA teams.

On another note, remember when every once in while, on the eve of a major international championship (the Worlds or the Olympics), people on this forum say "Why don't we just send a NBA team there, they would kill everyone"?

I always felt it was ridiculous - other than the very best teams (Spurs, Heat, OKC) - NBA teams can't compete with the top world teams, because the latter are basically all-star national teams.

While I don't dispute the fact that NBA>>Euroleague, I think that people in the USA often don't realize that the top European teams are very close.

I'm not going to get in the back and forth with this discussion again I just want to point out the CSKA has been to the Euroleague Final Four 2 years in a row so I don't think you can claim that there are 8-12 teams in the Europe at their level, that's like saying there are 8-12 teams in the NBA at the level of the Spurs.

And again the record of Euroleague teams vs NBA teams for the past 10 years has been 10-42.

Dunking on everybody in the park shallehalle's Avatar

TOP Euroleague teams might win one or two games against TOP NBA teams in a 7 game series if played by FIBA rules, but only a slim chance to win ONE game if played by NBA rules.

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by fandarko

They're all friendlies...how can you possibly read into that. In football chelsea lost to some random 3rd division Croatian team a few years IN THE PRESEASON but we obviously don't regard that as evidence that that team is better that Chelsea.

Here are the facts...in the only official international club competition, an nba team has won every time one entered. In Olympic play, the USA has won virtually every time, and mostly comfortably. The teams they have struggled against have almost invariably been led by other nba players.

Moreover, Greece lost to Nigeria in a competitive match. This same Nigerian team then lost by 80 points to a USA team that could have piled on way more than it did...but even disregarding that latter point, the margin in that game was 15 points higher than the higher point margin in NBA history...and Greece lost to that team.

And the poster Euroleague just harms the reputation of the euroleague, which is a really good competitive league, by saying that Spanoulis, a player who was beyond awful in the NBA, is one of the greatest players ever in the euroleague
    Last edited by Unbiased_one; 10-11-2013 at 07:53 AM.

High School Starter

One final point to make about that spurs game...it wasn't really the spurs playing. The top minutes for a spurs player was Aron Baynes, who likely won't even make their rotation this year. The starters averaged less than 20 minutes. The CSKA starters averaged 32 minutes. CSKA used 10 players, all of whom will play for them competitively most likely. The spurs used 15, of whom 10 will play this season most likely; two people who played for the spurs in that game have already been cut.
    Last edited by Unbiased_one; 10-11-2013 at 07:59 AM.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Unbiased_one
    One final point to make about that spurs game...it wasn't really the spurs playing. The top minutes for a spurs player was Aron Baynes, who likely won't even make their rotation this year. The starters averaged less than 20 minutes. The CSKA starters averaged 32 minutes. CSKA used 10 players, all of whom will play for them competitively most likely. The spurs used 15, of whom 10 will play this season most likely; two people who played for the spurs in that game have already been cut.
    Well, you could also argue that the CSKA team wasn't in full gear either, regardless of their starters playing, they are still not in full league mode.

The point being that, while it was beyond imagination 20 years ago, today's top European team can compete on par with top NBA teams. They'd probably lose against the best (Heat, Spurs, OKC) most of the time, but I'm not sure it would be the case a bunch of low-tier NBA teams.

Also you say that Fenerbahce Ulker is not a top team which may be true but let's wait and see. Last year they were a Top 16 team and they added Linas Kleiza which would not mean much in the NBA but in Euroleague he is an All-Euroleague 1st teamer and scoring champion.

Quote Originally Posted by gabepizza
    Also you say that Fenerbahce Ulker is not a top team which may be true but let's wait and see. Last year they were a Top 16 team and they added Linas Kleiza which would not mean much in the NBA but in Euroleague he is an All-Euroleague 1st teamer and scoring champion.
    You are a ****ing piece of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    You are a ****ing piece of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    Kleiza had micro-fracture surgery since then. Everyone knows he's not half the player now he was then and can't even stay healthy for a half season now.

Besides the fact that Fener does not have a single point guard on its entire roster.

And he is trying to claim that is an elite Euroleague team...................

Yeah right............

And his bullshit about Kleiza just never ends. He endlessly claims here that he is the SAME player he was 3-4 years ago before a micro-fracture surgery.

There is just no end to the amount of trolling bullshit from this clown gabepizza.

There is absolutely no way in hell a team without a point guard can do anything serious in Euroleague. Maybe they will make some more roster changes and maybe they will go get a good point guard, and so maybe that might change before the season is over.

But as it stands now, they are not going to do jack shit in Euroleague, and Kleiza can't even stay healthy for a season in the last 4 years, and this mega troll pretends that he automatically makes them an instant top championship contender.

As if he magically never had micro-fracture surgery and as if the last 4 years magically never happened.

And on Olympiacos, when he was HEALTHY and still athletic, he also had endless open shots created for him by Teodosic and Papaloukas...........good luck with that playing with McCalebb as your "point guard".

gabepizza is a hugely insulting troll.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 10-11-2013 at 09:05 PM.

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

There is absolutely no way in hell a team without a point guard can do anything serious in Euroleague. Maybe they will make some more roster changes and maybe they will go get a good point guard.
    Then why is Bilbao in Euroleague? They even lost to Philly, lol.

[COLOR="White"]I know they're not playing in Euroleague. Go f*ck youself.[/COLOR]

Kleiza had micro-fracture surgery since then. Everyone knows he's not half the player now he was then and can't even stay healthy for a half season now.

Besides the fact that Fener does not have a single point guard on its entire roster.

And he is trying to claim that is an elite Euroleague team...................

Yeah right............

And his bullshit about Kleiza just never ends. He endlessly claims here that he is the SAME player he was 3-4 years ago before a micro-fracture surgery.

There is just no end to the amount of trolling bullshit from this clown gabepizza.

There is absolutely no way in hell a team without a point guard can do anything serious in Euroleague. Maybe they will make some more roster changes and maybe they will go get a good point guard, and so maybe that might change before the season is over.

But as it stands now, they are not going to do jack shit in Euroleague, and Kleiza can't even stay healthy for a season in the last 4 years, and this mega troll pretends that he automatically makes them an instant top championship contender.

As if he magically never had micro-fracture surgery and as if the last 4 years magically never happened.

And on Olympiacos, when he HEALTHY and still athletic, he also had endless open shots created for him by Teodosic and Papaloukas...........good luck with that playing with McCalebb as your "point guard".

gabepizza is a hugely insulting troll.
    Even with is mirco-fracture surgery he led Lithuania to a silver medal in Eurobasket and was selected to all-tournament team. How did Spanoulis and Greece do in that tournament? I forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.hee
    Then why is Bilbao in Euroleague? They even lost to Philly, lol.
    Bilbao isn't in Euroleague. Stop trolling.

And Bilbao actually has 2 good point guards, unlike Fener.

Spanoulis (or however you spell his name) averaged 3 points on 30% in the NBA and is a EL MVP.