Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast

Default Pacers trade Jermaine O'Neal to Raptors for TJ Ford in 6-player deal

Just read this on the blog of a basketball writer here in Toronto. Who knows how much legitimacy to it there is, especially given that we still to see what Bargs can do in his third season, but it's interesting, and something to spark discussion.

Apparently, the Raps and Pacers are looking at TJ and Rasho (and possibly the 17th pick) to indiana for JO.

I'm personally not a huge fan of this one, mostly due to JOs health. If he came back this season, and played 80 games as something similar to his old self, then the Raps would have the best front court in the east, and certainly one of the best in the league. However, what are the odds of that.

JO also makes a **** ton of money, although his deal expires after the 08-09 season, so the Raps would be fine salary cap wise.

From the Pacers end of things, I think this would be a fantastic deal for them. They get a big expirer (8.4 mil from Rasho), but unlike the proposed Cavs deal for Wally, they also get a young starting PG to finally ditch Jamal Tinsley, and get rid of Jermaine's huge deal.

Thoughts?

I rule the local playground daballa13's Avatar

Default Re: Raptors/Pacers Trade Rumor - Jermaine

I don't know what to think, JO has been garbage lately.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Hes too risky to take imo, I'd waaaaaay rather get a big man from the draft that we don't constantly have to worry about health than O'neal.

Decent college freshman RapsFan's Avatar

This has been talked about a lot already in the Raptor Forum. I don't think there is anything to it.

If it did happen, it's a no brainer. He'd be perfect to match with Bosh up front. He'll be healthy as he'll be playing for a new deal (money has that impact on injury prone guys). He's MILES ahead of any big taken in the draft.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

and bjtrdff, did you steal that avatar or is that yours? i know ive seen somebody else on ISH with one exactly like that...

Quote Originally Posted by RapsFan
    This has been talked about a lot already in the Raptor Forum. I don't think there is anything to it.

Was the first info that got out about it this morning from Doug Smith's blog, or earlier, because I hadn't seen anything.

I think there is likely something to it, in that I don't think it's just completely made up. But I think the same could be said about 5 or 6 deals that BC is trying to engineer for Ford (Diaw, or whoever).
    Last edited by bjtrdff; 06-23-2008 at 10:48 AM.

I wouldn't mind this deal for a few reasons:

-JO has been unhappy in Indiana lately and I think a change of scenery might invigorate him and might even help him stay healthy.

-He's a legit allstar and can play centre. He has good interior defense and a much better offensive game than Rasho (who would be sad to see go).

As far as salary implications, that's a non-issue as we'd be trading away a similar amount of salary.

Local High School Star bballnoob's Avatar

Big gamble but I'd be willing to take it. Ford alone carries similar risks with concern to his back. O'Neil fills the void for:

-a second scorer
    -improves interior defence
    -rebounding

Draft a good swingman with the possibility of AP leaving and that's a hell of a good halfcourt team.

LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Def not do this deal.

If we can get Diaw for Ford and a solid C propsect with the 17th Id much rather that.

If Parker leaves Diaw would be nice to have then we could play Kaps at 2.

Ill take if its Tj Ford and Rasho, dont wanan give away a #17th pick..

Edit: Sorry double post
    Last edited by bballnoob; 06-23-2008 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker
    Def not do this deal.

If we can get Diaw for Ford and a solid C propsect with the 17th Id much rather that.

If Parker leaves Diaw would be nice to have then we could play Kaps at 2.
    I'm not sure Diaw would thrive here. I'm probably underestimating Toronto's coaching staff but I don't think they would utilize him as well as Phoenix did in his breakout year. I'd pretty much be "let the PG do whatever" all over again. To be fair though, Calderon does a good job distrubuting the ball to everyone (sometimes to a fault).

Diaw IMO doesn't bring what the Raptor's truly need. Rebounding from the 3 position we have already in Moon. I don't think ball distribution will ever be a problem with either of our PG's. He barely gets to the FT line which is a real sore spot for the team. Finally, even if he does reach his peak numbers, I still wouldn't classify him as a second scorer.

Also a Calderon/Kapono backcourt would be ugly as sin defending other teams.

Why not? JO provides defense, rebounding, interior prescence. Gamble. Its the NBA. You're not going anywhere far with Raaaaaaaaaasho and TJ any damn way. The weakness for Toronto has been what JO strengths are. F*ck it, he does make alot, he has been injured. Roll the dice or stay the soft ass team you are. You wont find help in the draft and you damn sure wont find it via trade.

Show me a better trade rumor out there and I'll gladly STFU.

Why does anyone want Diaw? Dude is a French Vanilla ice cream cone.

LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

true statements about JO but I cant stand his injuries and his 40% shooting.

Id consider the gamble but really they should try to hold on to the 17th pick.