Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Default 2016 Draft: Pistons Picks #18 and #49

Hey guys,

Yes it is early, but the draft will be here before we know it. Just looking at who may be available with both of our pick this draft and what our biggest needs are.

Obviously this draft as the much hyped Simmons and Ingram, as well as 3 or 4 other high level prospects but then it would appear it is fairly even for the next 15 to 25 prospects. Will sure be interesting to see who might fall to #18 for us.

So in the ballpark of who may fall / be available to us at #18 could be:

Sabonis
    Poeltl
    D.Murray
    Richardson
    Labissiere
    D.Murray
    Davis
    Korkmaz
    Ellenson
    Johnson
    Diallo
    Valentine
    Prince
    Maker
    Beasley
    Baldwin

Most of these guys at some stage have been projected anywhere from top 5 to mid second round, but they are shaping up as mid first rounders -

My opinion is that we need a backup PG who can play valuable minutes behind Reggie, and the only player in that group I would think would be great value at #18 would be Dejounte Murray. If he is gone (which he likely will be) then I think we take the best available player / most impactful player for SVG's system, and then look to sure up the PG with our 2nd round pick.

With our second rounder, Baldwin might still be available which would be amazing value at that pick, otherwise someone like Ulis, Jackson, Barber, Cousins (I personally like Barber out of these 4). I do not like the idea of reaching for a need with our first pick.

With our first pick, we could see someone like a Sabonis or Labissiere take a huge slide and be available. I really like the versatility of both Valentine and Korkmaz, and can definitely see guys like Bryce Johnson and Ellenson being SVG kind of guys.

What are your thoughts guys?....

[COLOR="Blue"]Just a quick depth chart of our core to help:

C: Dre / Baynes
    PF: Harris
    SF: Morris / Stanley
    SG: KCP / Meeks
    PG: Reggie
    [/COLOR]

Default Re: 2016 Draft: Pistons Picks #18 and #49

The more I read / watch of Ulis, the more I am reminded of Isaiah Thomas...

Is #18 too high to take someone who is listed at 5'9 ?...

NBA lottery pick

I'd stay a mile away from Ulis. He's undersized and he's actually hurt too. He won't be a backup PG next year. More like a possible 3rd option when he's not in the D-league.

The more I think about it the more I would rather just swing for the fences with upside. I like Sabonis, I'm just not sure exactly how he fits next to Drummond. There's many who are thinking Valentine has a chance to fall to us. I would really think hard about taking him too. KCP may not stick around when he becomes a FA. It would give Valentine enough time to develop. SG's usually take a few years to produce. Plus he would be a nice player off the bench for a spark next year and give the Pistons more incentive to move Meeks.

Probably the top choice right now though is Maker. I think he and Dre could turn into a top front line in the NBA. Maker doesn't have the muscle to clog up the middle but he can shoot outside. Having a solid core around him right now might be a good place for him to develop. 18 is high to pick him, but I say go for it. He is definitely a risk, as he could be a bust, but I think he has the highest ceiling at that number too.

As for the 2nd round. I just really don't care. Unless someone really falls it doesn't matter much. Maybe a guy like Levert who could have been a lottery pick falls that far. That would be cool. I don't see too many 2nd rounders this year being surprise players.

What I do like is all the guys the Pistons brought in to work out in camp. Most are still young guys. It's like a NBA version of moneyball. I've said for years I don't understand why NBA teams don't take a longer look at some of the very best players in the D League. It's much better competition than college basketball is. We brought in guys like:

Bobby Brown
    Jordan Crawford
    Chris Douglas-Roberts
    Derrick Nix

Crawford was scoring double digits in the NBA. He should definitely have a job in the league. I could really see him being a big scoring punch off the bench. CDR should have a job too. I think the reason he doesn't is because someone wanted to cut his contract for cap purposes. I like how SVG is looking outside the box like this. Other teams have had free agent camps too but I haven't seen any recognizable names.

Well, 1 week and we will find out what the Pistons do with their pick anyhow. Motiejunas looks like the best available player lol. Weak draft.

NBA lottery pick

Well, they're probably drafting a PG or signing one at some point now.

Potentially trade #18 for an already established / semi established backup PG - if you told me I could get say, Livingston or Payne with #18, I would be all over that

NBA lottery pick

I think any team would be all over that lol.

NBA lottery pick

SVG says he's going to draft the best player available and the position they play doesn't matter.
    http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2016/6...ks-mock-drafts

NBA lottery pick

I really like this idea:
    http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2016/6...ion-mock-draft

Now that Utah has George Hill and with Exum returning Trey Burke is for sure out of the rotation. He could be a good back up here. Plus we don't fall that far back in the draft. I hate the idea of drafting Ulis though. I'd go after Thon Maker there. Let him develop for a season or so and he could be really dominate next to Dre.

haha mate ^ I saw this yesterday and LOVED it - however 100% agree why would we go after Ulis if we got Trey - Trey would be one of the best backup PG's in the league, he can shoot deep, is a natural leader, and is clutch.

I would also take a shot on Maker if none of say the top 15 guys were available at #23 (example if someone like Davis / Ellenson / Skal were available at #23 which is very unlikely, then taking one of them would make more sense)

But yes, Trey + Maker essentially for #18 would be such a great outcome

So is this why we did the Donatas Motiejunas take back?

NBA lottery pick

I guess that's what it turned into.... I actually like Motijunas more than what we ended up with. I'm not very excited about the draft. Most of the players I figured would be in our range got drafted much earlier. I can't believe Maker went in the lottery. I guess we'll find out if the Bucks are geniuses or idiots. Apparently he had some amazing works outs for teams.

NBA lottery pick

I doubt he plays much but...

[QUOTE]Rod Beard: #Pistons Stan Van Gundy said they

NBA lottery pick

Apparently there were a lot of teams that wanted our 2nd round pick.
    http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2016/6...-possibilities

I think Ellenson is a perfect cog for a SVG team. He is not a stud, nor would he appear to have all-star potential, but if he can develop his deep shot, he seems big enough / tough enough / smart enough to have a role in the NBA.

Best case scenario - Starter
    Worst case scenario - Journeyman
    Most likely scenario - Bench role player / 7th or 8th man,

I like the fact he gives us a different look, and can be used as a C down the stretch as he shoots well fro the stripe. Can be used as a faceup PF. Hard worker. Productive. Fills a need.

With Gbinije, he might be one of the most Pro ready players in the draft, and will atleast provide a stern battle for our other wings like Stanimal / KCP in our camps. Obviously you don't expect too much out of a late 2nd rounder so we shall see....

I was really hoping D.Jackson fell to us but he went at #45

NBA lottery pick

I was hoping Jackson would slip down to us too. That could have been a steal. I'm guessing Gbinije will spend most of his time in the D League. If there's injuries he might see some limited minutes. They did use Hillard a bit last season so I'm sure they will see what the kid has at some point.