Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: All Jordan FG's With Kobe Defending

Kobes competition at SG

Jordans top competition at SG

after a long day at shop rite

^two guys that couldnt dribble (with both hands)

Kobe wasn't even a starter when he faced Bulls MJ in 98, who was playing at an MVP level. Kobe was what, 19?

All I'll remember is him sending Jordan to retirement with 55 points , where MJ didn't even dare to guard his ass lol.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols

two guys that couldnt dribble (with both hands)

Drexler with the right-to-left crossover in traffic, crazy lefty finish... perfect navigational efficiency.. how many guys today are covering ground like that - that greek kid might have the Elgin-Step down but he doesn't have this kind of shot-creating skill or ability.

Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, Clyde Drexler, Gary Payton, Mitch Richmond, Latrell Sprewell, Eddie Jones, Ray Allen... that's just from 1996-1998 yet it's enough to destroy Kobe's competition... and I barely got started.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball

Drexler with the right-to-left crossover in traffic, crazy lefty finish... perfect navigational efficiency.. how many guys today are covering ground like that - that greek kid might have the Elgin-Step down but he doesn't have this kind of shot-creating skill or ability.

Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, Clyde Drexler, Gary Payton, Mitch Richmond, Latrell Sprewell, Eddie Jones, Ray Allen... that's just from 1996-1998 yet it's enough to destroy Kobe's competition... and I barely got started.
    How are you including Ray Allen as Jordan's competition?

I see you're including big PGs and SFs in your list.

McGrady, Wade, Iverson, Allen, Carter, Pierce and Redd. Then you could include LeBron in that

Quote Originally Posted by KobesFinger

McGrady, Wade, Iverson, Allen, Carter, Pierce and Redd. Then you could include LeBron in that
    Yeah, i don't think that list comes close to Scottie Pippen, Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, Clyde Drexler, Gary Payton, Mitch Richmond, Latrell Sprewell, and Eddie Jones.

also, the above list only covers 1996-1998, whereas yours covers at least 5 years (and you had to include Redd).

btw, your list is further weakened since Iverson and Allen can both be grouped with Jordan - they were both 20 ppg scorers by their 2nd season in 1998, they both remained the same size their entire career (so their physical man-to-man defensive ability is the same), and they both played MJ extensively those years from being in the same conference.

Decent college freshman

Scottie Pippen and Jordan were on the same team.

Remember when Jordan got locked up by Gary Payton?

Quote Originally Posted by Wade's Rings

Scottie Pippen and Jordan were on the same team.
    doesn't matter - we're comparing the overall level of defensive talent and two-way talent at the wing position in 1996-1998 vs. any other era or time period.

i should include Iverson, Kobe, and Garnett with the 96'-98' group since all three made the All-Star Team in 1998.

But regardless, Scottie Pippen, Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, Clyde Drexler, Gary Payton, Mitch Richmond, Latrell Sprewell, and Eddie Jones is more than enough anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade's Rings

Remember when Jordan got locked up by Gary Payton?
    No, I stopped watching after the Bulls got a 3-0 lead in the series.
    Last edited by 3ball; 01-15-2015 at 01:20 PM.

Yeah, i don't think that list comes close to Scottie Pippen, Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, Clyde Drexler, Gary Payton, Mitch Richmond, Latrell Sprewell, and Eddie Jones.

also, the above list only covers 1996-1998, whereas yours covers at least 5 years (and you had to include Redd).

btw, your list is further weakened since Iverson and Allen can both be grouped with Jordan - they were both 20 ppg scorers by their 2nd season in 1998, they both remained the same size their entire career (so their physical man-to-man defensive ability is the same), and they both played MJ extensively those years from being in the same conference.
    How are you going to include his teammate as his competition? My list is 03-05, and what do you mean I also had to include Redd? Was he not a 2 guard in the 2000s?

And as I've said I could include LeBron and he's the best player in either list, and I forgot Melo/Durant.

Please tell me youre joking. None of those guys at their best are even close to a Peak Wade Lebron, Durant or McGrady. Even peak Iverson and Carter are just as good as Peak Drexler or Payton. Penny Richmond Sprewell Jones nor Miller are even in the same tier as Wade Durant Lebron Tmac Iverson or Carter. Theyre in the Ray Allen Michael Redd Peak level.

The SG SF era from 2000-2010 is better than the 1990-2000 era and if you can't see that I don't know what to say to you. Jordans the best, but then you have Kobe Lebron Wade TMac Durant who are all superior to the 2nd best wing from the 90s, whether its Drexler or Pippen or Mullin or whoever.

Decent college freshman

No, I stopped watching after the Bulls got a 3-0 lead in the series.
    You missed the GOAT getting locked up.

All I took from this is that if Kobe's peak play occurred in Jordan's peak era, he would do decent, but no where near what Jordan could do.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Gary Payton is not a shooting guard.

But aside from that, 2000s era top tier talent >>> 90s by quite a bit

Dwayne wade
    Allen iverson
    Tracy mcgrady
    Vince carter
    Manu ginobili
    Ray allen

All with their peak/primes in the 2000s.. 90s guys past Clyde were bums in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by KobesFinger

How are you going to include his teammate as his competition? My list is 03-05, and what do you mean I also had to include Redd? Was he not a 2 guard in the 2000s?

And as I've said I could include LeBron and he's the best player in either list, and I forgot Melo/Durant.
    Pippen is included, because we're comparing ALL wing talent from the 1996-1998 period to other periods... we're comparing eras.

btw, if your list is from 03-05', then you can't include durant... you can include lebron/melo, but they are only rookies in 2004, and not all-star-caliber - lebron shot 48% TS in 2004 and missed the playoffs.

and if you are going to use 2nd year players, then i can use Kobe, who was an all-star and in his 2nd season in 1998, while Iverson was averaging 24 ppg.

1996 Scottie Pippen................ 2005 Lebron James
    1996 Grant Hill...................... 2003 Tracy McGrady
    1996 Penny Hardaway............ 2005 Dwayne Wade
    1996 Clyde Drexler................ 2005 Carmelo Anthony
    1996 Gary Payton.................. 2005 Vince Carter
    1998 Kobe Bryant............ ......2005 Paul Pierce
    1998 Allen Iverson.................2003 Allen Iverson
    1996 Mitch Richmond.............. 2005 Gilbert Arenas
    1998 Latrell Spreewell.............2005 Michael Redd
    1998 Eddie Jones................... ?????

The only matchup your list wins is McGrady and Iverson.

Pippen is included, because we're comparing ALL wing talent from the 1996-1998 period to other periods... we're comparing eras.

btw, if your list is from 03-05', then you can't include durant... you can include lebron/melo, but they are only rookies in 2004, and not all-star-caliber - lebron shot 48% TS in 2004 and missed the playoffs.

and if you are going to use 2nd year players, then i can use Kobe, who was an all-star and in his 2nd season in 1998, while Iverson was averaging 24 ppg.

1996 Scottie Pippen................ 2005 Lebron James
    1996 Grant Hill...................... 2003 Tracy McGrady
    1996 Penny Hardaway............ 2005 Dwayne Wade
    1996 Clyde Drexler................ 2005 Carmelo Anthony
    1996 Gary Payton.................. 2005 Vince Carter
    1998 Kobe Bryant............ ......2005 Paul Pierce
    1998 Allen Iverson.................2003 Allen Iverson
    1996 Mitch Richmond.............. 2005 Gilbert Arenas
    1998 Latrell Spreewell.............2005 Michael Redd
    1998 Eddie Jones................... ?????

The only matchup your list wins is McGrady and Iverson.
    05 LeBron averaged 27/7/7, better than anybody in the 90s. And are you going to really sit there and say 2nd year Kobe is better than prime Paul Pierce? Kobe was still a bench player in 1998, if you include him on your list that shows how weak the 90s was in terms of swingmen