Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Default Re: Sterling won't pay the 2,5M fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Logic
    You're getting your complaints confused. This isn't about the government surveilling private citizens, it's about a semi-public figure (Stiviano) recording a very public figure, maybe with his consent and maybe not. We also don't have any proof it was her who leaked the tape, could have been a housekeeper who found it and sold it to TMZ. Doesn't matter - the big brother argument is null and void.

So is the argument about creeping technology and it's increasing ability to invade what we used to consider our private space. This wasn't recorded by a drone, or by some Mission Impossible bug on someone's eyelash. For all we know she had her iphone out on the table or an old fashioned tape recorder. Two people in a room talking, with one of them recording the other. So I'm not welcoming or endorsing a surveillance society by saying Sterling knew, or should have known, that what he was saying was radioactive for someone in his position if it ever got out. As a lawyer, he should have thought through the ramifications of being recorded saying shit like this if he knew he was being recorded. And if he didn't know - tough shit. I'm not calling for people to go around recording each other but the fact is if it was me and you having the convo, nobody gives a shit. YOu're a billionaire sports franchise owner, yeah, a tiny price you pay is maybe keeping your most vile opinions a little closer to the vest. Seems like a fair tradeoff to me. Or be like Sterling and just say whatever stupid shit pops into your head.

I won't lose a second's sleep over it, and actually think its all too rare for the super rich to face the natural consequences of their assholery - so yes, I'm actually cheering this one. I LOLed.
    Well you might not agree, but I think there's a bigger picture.
    By legitimizing this public lynch mob you're desentisizing yourself as to what level of overall survelliance and consequences there of which you find acceptable.
    The argument that "he could have just not said it" applies for both little and total surveillance of behaviour. Kathleen Parker proves the point.

He shouldn't be an NBA owner, but this isn't the right way to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    By legitimizing this public lynch mob you're desentisizing yourself as to what level of overall survelliance and consequences there of which you find acceptable.
    The argument that "he could have just not said it" applies for both little and total surveillance of behaviour. Kathleen Parker proves the point.

I agree, but I think you're arguing the wrong thing.

What you should be arguing is for V. Stiviano to be prosecuted and to get the maximum punishment. Heavy penalties for these illegal leaks would a deterrent, but the big problem right now is that these illegal leaks are being rewarded, not punished.

TMZ is giving these leakers big payouts and no prosecutions are happening.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster

Of course this is the way to go about it. He never should have been an owner in the first place. Removing him from the NBA will be great from the league.

This case just shows how arbitrary law are enforced.

Good. Dont give them a penny.

Silver thought he could talk a tough game and hand out punishments at a whim...

Nah son... Sterling is a lawyer too. Even I knew that shit wouldn't stick. Good for him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    He's actually not making it more expensive for the NBA.. maybe slightly but the League has it's own attorneys they're paying already, they're not looking for a law firm to represent them.. they might hire an expert or two but all in all this won't cost the league the type of money it's going to cost Sterling...
    it's hilarious when some wrench monkey gets on the internet role-playing a lawyer, accountant, whatever the situation calls for. the cherry on top is the guy you're arguing with is REALLY a lawyer.

I'll look out for your posts when the world needs to know what size of a socket you would need to perform maintenance on one of Donald Sterling's exotic cars.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Stempel, HERB
    it's hilarious when some wrench monkey gets on the internet role-playing a lawyer, accountant, whatever the situation calls for. the cherry on top is the guy you're arguing with is REALLY a lawyer.

I'll look out for your posts when the world needs to know what size of a socket you would need to perform maintenance on one of Donald Sterling's exotic cars.

How pathetic and spineless are you that you have to sign in to an alternate account to toss your child like barbs at somebody. You seriously need to get a life or grow a pair of balls
    Last edited by gts; 05-17-2014 at 11:25 AM.