Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Best book you've read?

I've read lots and lots. The one that has always stuck with me and I'd say is my favorite off the top of my head is American Pastoral by Philip Roth. Why? It's just a stunningly good novel and one that I have come back to a lot.

High School Varsity 6th Man moaz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rondooooooooooo
    This isnt the first time I heard someone say this book is one of their all time favorites.......ima have to check it out.
    It is one of the best I've ever read. Just be patient and don't quit after the first 60-70 pages, which could be confusing. Try to find an edition with the family tree ; they all seem to have the same names.

If you like it, then read "Chronicle of a Death Foretold" to really appreciate how good Gabriel Garc

Quote Originally Posted by irondarts
    I've read lots and lots. The one that has always stuck with me and I'd say is my favorite off the top of my head is American Pastoral by Philip Roth. Why? It's just a stunningly good novel and one that I have come back to a lot.

Excellent novel although the ending left me wanting more. Roth is a great storyteller and has a unique take on American history.

fan fiction: Final Fantasy Legacy

Book: Path of "" series by Diana Pharaoh Francis

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    A Confederacy of Dunces

Several reasons I love this book: the setting of New Orleans in the late 60s, the absolutely absurd, pathetic, yet hilarious and ultimately heroic main character, and the circumstances surrounding the author's tragic life and the journey his manuscript went through before being published and winning the Pulitzer.
    It is hopeful that most people won't have to kill themselves to get their shit published THO...

The best book to me is Old Man and the Sea.

There are parts I like of other books more... and I could say a book like Wuthering Heights is a more masterful novel... but Old Man and the Sea has the most punch.

-Smak

The Birth of Tragedy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    The Fellowship chapter in FOTR killed me when I read it as a kid. About 40 pages of talking about trying to do something.

I love those books, but that chapter, fuuuuck.

Two Towers was the best in my opinion. There's a lot more Ent stuff than the movies gave you.
    The Council of Elrond? I loved that chapter, along with all the other dialogue-driven stuff because they usually move the story on a lot. I can get it if you were just a child though, since most kids just want some action.

My weakness with these books is stuff like The Old Forest and Tom Bombadil which makes you want to puke and never read them again. I hate when whole chapters are driven behind walking, no dialogue, and describing every single detail in the area. I don't give a f*ck how young the trees looked or how nice the river sounded, just do something.