Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Is Shaq dominant as Wilt? A man

Quote Originally Posted by Calabis
    His height man!!!!...dude is 6'7 trying to guard a 7'1 Wilt...now please be quiet
    You just described the Pistons' "SF", named Ben Wallace.

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alexandreben
    You konw..the 6'6" Ben Wallace got more rebound than 7'1" Shaq...

Unseld got more rebound when matchup with 7'2" KAJ...

I'd put money on it you know nothing about Unseld since you called him a small forward...
    Actually Wes would be a power forward, I called his height small forward, quit trying to look like a basketball guru, you never seen that era, except highlights....ben wallace??? You mean the guy Shaq was shooting 65% against in the finals?? Also who cares about rebounds, he couldn't defend KAJ nor would he be able to defend Shaq

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Star players played more minutes in Wilt's era. Tiny Archibald played 46 mpg one season, Oscar, Nate Thurmond and Russell were around 44-45 mpg some seasons, Baylor topped out at 44.4 mpg.

Really, I don't see the argument for Wilt facing greater competition than Shaq. I mean Shaq throughout his career has seen Olajuwon, Duncan, Robinson, Ewing, Mourning, Mutombo, Yao and Dwight Howard(end of his career). Wilt saw Russell, Thurmond, Bellamy, Reed, Kareem and Unseld.

They each faced two top 10 players, but I think after that, guys like Ewing, Robinson and Mourning were more formidable than Bellamy, Reed and Unseld.
    Even in the modern league, LeBron played 42.5 mpg two seasons and didn't look tired at all, the guy is anything anti-stamina... era doesn't matter if a player has that kind of stamina;

Made no mistake, Hakeem was the best center in 90's, Shaq's dominance began at the late 99', Wilt's dominance starts when he entered the league till the day he retired.

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    You just described the Pistons' "SF", named Ben Wallace.
    LOL Ben Wallace is 6'9 he's a power forward playing center and he never stopped Shaq

Shaq is a beast. Subscribed for later.

7-time NBA All-Star

Even in the modern league, LeBron played 42.5 mpg two seasons and didn't look tired at all, the guy is anything anti-stamina... era doesn't matter if a player has that kind of stamina;

Yes and Lebron is a perimeter player, much smaller than Wilt and he was his team's entire offense. Wilt was playing 45+ mpg on stacked teams like the '67 Sixers. Plus 42.5 mpg is hardly comparable to 48. Jordan, like Shaq topped out at about 40. Robinson, Olajuwon and Kobe all topped out at about 41. I don't even think Ewing ever reached 40 mpg either.

Era does matter, unless you want to claim that stars had significantly better stamina in the 60's than 00's which would make zero sense with all of the trainers, modern training techniques, better conditions ect..

Made no mistake, Hakeem was the best center in 90's, Shaq's dominance began at the late 99'
    Hakeem was the best center for most of the 90's, but you could easily argue that Shaq was better by '96 and Shaq was hands down the best center by '97 or '98. And just because he wasn't the best right away doesn't mean he wasn't dominant. Shaq was dominant even as a rookie.

Wilt's dominance starts when he entered the league till the day he retired.
    Except in many big playoff games. And you seem to suggest that dominance means the best when suggesting that Shaq wasn't dominant in the 90's because Olajuwon was the best center of the decade, yet you say Wilt was dominant for his entire career, however Kareem was clearly the best center in Wilt's last 4 seasons. And Russell was in the argument for much of Wilt's career as well.

Yes and Lebron is a perimeter player, much smaller than Wilt and he was his team's entire offense. Wilt was playing 45+ mpg on stacked teams like the '67 Sixers. Plus 42.5 mpg is hardly comparable to 48. Jordan, like Shaq topped out at about 40. Robinson, Olajuwon and Kobe all topped out at about 41. I don't even think Ewing ever reached 40 mpg either.

Decent college freshman

conclusion:

shaq > wilt

Bill Russell 6'9
    Nate Thurmond 6'11
    Willis Reed 6'9
    Wes Unseld 6'7
    Red Kerr 6'9
    Zelmo Beaty 6'9
    Walt Bellamy 6'11

Yeah nice list Wilt dominated a small forward, 4 power forwards......wow....please quit trying to build up this 60's era, acting like stars of the 80's-2000's can't touch these guys. Put Shaq back in that era and he puts up Wilt numbers period. Now please stop with this foolishness.
    Stopped reading there. I lied I barely skimmed over the original post.

Decent college freshman

Hakeem was the best center for most of the 90's
    that would be robinson

Good High School Starter

Era does matter, unless you want to claim that stars had significantly better stamina in the 60's than 00's which would make zero sense with all of the trainers, modern training techniques, better conditions ect..

Hakeem was the best center for most of the 90's, but you could easily argue that Shaq was better by '96 and Shaq was hands down the best center by '97 or '98. And just because he wasn't the best right away doesn't mean he wasn't dominant. Shaq was dominant even as a rookie.

Except in many big playoff games. And you seem to suggest that dominance means the best when suggesting that Shaq wasn't dominant in the 90's because Olajuwon was the best center of the decade, yet you say Wilt was dominant for his entire career, however Kareem was clearly the best center in Wilt's last 4 seasons. And Russell was in the argument for much of Wilt's career as well.

I definitely won't say that Shaq dominated the 90's, that will be a lie if I said that, Hakeem was the best center back then, Shaq's dominance began in the late 99' which I think most of the people agree with, unless you say Shaq dominated the 90'......

I watched almost all of the matchups between Shaq and Hakeem in the 90's, including 96', I really don't think that Shaq was better than Hakeem or dominated Hakeem, not for a second, like I said before, they played equal in offense and Hakeem was better defender of course. And remember that was a 36-37 years old Hakeem...

The OP is mainly regarding to "A man's greatness can be measured by his enemies", hence, let's focus on Shaq's opposing centers and Wilt's.

Shaq's opponents were quite weak during his domination period, unless you can proove that Shaq started dominate the whole 90's centers, or proove that Wilt's opposing centers were nothing but as weak as Shaq's opponents, otherwise, I don't think the result will end up in favor in Shaq

LOL Ben Wallace is 6'9 he's a power forward playing center and he never stopped Shaq
    1. Ben Wallace is not 6'9. He's listed so, with shoes on. He admitted himself being closer to 6'7:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...nba&id=2437567

2. At least, Wallace still won multiple DPOY awards playing as a center. Unseld wouldn't, even if the award existed.

3. Unseld was overall so much bigger than a SF that it doesn't make any sense listing him as such. It's as bad as listing Barkley as a SG.

4. Unseld never stopped Wilt, either.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease MakeHistory78's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyer23
    conclusion:

shaq > wilt
    Well I heard some people consider Wilt the greatest player ever but I've never heard anyone consider Shaq the GOAT.
    Imo Wilt is the 2nd greatest player ever behind the master MJ and Shaq between 6-8 ever.

Local High School Star MasterDurant24's Avatar

Bill Russell 6'9
    Nate Thurmond 6'11
    Willis Reed 6'9
    Wes Unseld 6'7
    Red Kerr 6'9
    Zelmo Beaty 6'9
    Walt Bellamy 6'11

Yeah nice list Wilt dominated a small forward, 4 power forwards......wow....please quit trying to build up this 60's era, acting like stars of the 80's-2000's can't touch these guys. Put Shaq back in that era and he puts up Wilt numbers period. Now please stop with this foolishness.
    You're just going by height...

7-time NBA All-Star

I definitely won't say that Shaq dominated the 90's, that will be a lie if I said that, Hakeem was the best center back then, Shaq's dominance began in the late 99' which I think most of the people agree with, unless you say Shaq dominated the 90'......

I watched almost all of the matchups between Shaq and Hakeem in the 90's, including 96', I really don't think that Shaq was better than Hakeem or dominated Hakeem, not for a second, like I said before, they played equal in offense and Hakeem was better defender of course. And remember that was a 36-37 years old Hakeem...

The OP is mainly regarding to "A man's greatness can be measured by his enemies", hence, let's focus on Shaq's opposing centers and Wilt's.

Shaq's opponents were quite weak during his domination period, unless you can proove that Shaq started dominate the whole 90's centers, or proove that Wilt's opposing centers were nothing but as weak as Shaq's opponents, otherwise, I don't think the result will end up in favor in Shaq
    Shaq definitely dominated during the 90's, he wasn't the best, but he dominated. Two 60 win seasons, a finals appearance, three conference finals appearances, a 2nd place MVP finish, a scoring title(would have had 2 if not for Robinson's stat padding). When you averaged 29/13/3 on 60% shooting, that means you're dominant.

As far as head to head? Shaq dominated Alonzo Mourning throughout the 90's. Shaq started really dominating Ewing in the 94-95 season as well.

As far as Wilt vs Russell? I don't think he dominated Russell. From the recaps I've seen, Russell outplayed him in the '62 EDF, Russell shut him down in games 6 and 7 the '68 EDF to come back from a 3-1 lead and win the series and Russell shut him down in the '69 finals.

Good High School Starter

Shaq definitely dominated during the 90's, he wasn't the best, but he dominated. Two 60 win seasons, a finals appearance, three conference finals appearances, a 2nd place MVP finish, a scoring title(would have had 2 if not for Robinson's stat padding). When you averaged 29/13/3 on 60% shooting, that means you're dominant.

As far as head to head? Shaq dominated Alonzo Mourning throughout the 90's. Shaq started really dominating Ewing in the 94-95 season as well.

As far as Wilt vs Russell? I don't think he dominated Russell. From the recaps I've seen, Russell outplayed him in the '62 EDF, Russell shut him down in games 6 and 7 the '68 EDF to come back from a 3-1 lead and win the series and Russell shut him down in the '69 finals.

Hakeem owns Shaq back in the 90's before he got too old...