Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Hawks Fans A No-Show

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Everything else aside, Philips Arena has always felt a bit dark, dingy, and cavernous and its made Hawks games even unappealing to watch on TV. Also, as mentioned, the lack of exciting players likely does not assist in this regard. And not to pile on, but even their logo and colors seem to lend a relatively banal experience.
    Phillips is fine, and trust me, it's not the logo or colors that are keeping people away. This is kindergartner logic right here.

What D-Fens said really rings true, (other than the stuff about that insane Celtics trade) because the Braves and Falcons both have solid attendance due to the fact that they have much broader support from the white community in Atlanta.

The other side of it is that the Hawks never have created a passionate fan base because they've never been good. Even in their 'peak' as a franchise with Dominique, they never made it out of the 2nd round of the playoffs. There are no championships, no finals appearances, and only one true superstar player to get people excited in the 46 years that they've been here.

And of course Atlanta is a fickle, (read: kind of bad) sports town to begin with, so when you throw all that together with our mediocre, faceless team, it's going to lead to some really dreadful attendance.

Sitting in the nether-zone of making the playoffs but having no chance to actually make a run nor to actually improve hurts as well. If you remember back in 07 when we took the eventual-champ Celtics to 7 games, people were saying Phillips had an incredible atmosphere. It's possible for this town to get excited about the Hawks, it just isn't likely to happen any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jzek
    I can't even name a single Hawks player. I'd like to say Horford but I'm not sure if he's still there or not. More reason the NBA needs to contract...
    So you don't know millsap? you may have mental problems then

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
    Phillips is fine, and trust me, it's not the logo or colors that are keeping people away. This is kindergartner logic right here.
    My apologies for being vague. I was speaking only in my own regard, as opposed to trying to speak for an entire fanbase.

Fan interest makes sense from a demographic standpoint.

But since the 45 years the Hawks have moved to Atlanta, they've made the playoffs 29 times and have advanced to only 1 round in 17 times and never making the NBA Finals. They've dug themselves into mediocrity for nearly half a century. Why would anyone want to support that for so long ?

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS
    I'm black, so I'll go ahead and say it. Atlanta is over 50% black, and blacks have the highest unemployment rate in Atlanta. Overall blacks have lower earnings on average than whites or Asian
    Yes and the same can be said for many cities with basketball teams (maybe not the same % of African Americans but they are the largest demo in the city for example Philly is 44%) it's unfortunate but in order to field a successful team it's hard to make tickets cheap. Not that Atlanta has fielded a successful team lately but this has historically been the case in Atlanta.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

The Atlanta Dream gets a larger audience

He's right, they need a push... to Seattle

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by 3peated
    take the team away they don't appreciate it.
    What is there to appreciate?

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    Yes and the same can be said for many cities with basketball teams (maybe not the same % of African Americans but they are the largest demo in the city for example Philly is 44%) it's unfortunate but in order to field a successful team it's hard to make tickets cheap. Not that Atlanta has fielded a successful team lately but this has historically been the case in Atlanta.
    For the record, last night's game had a reported attendance of 11,759.
    11,759 / 18,238 = 64.4% capacity

If you have a stadium with 18,238 capacity and your current average ticket prices are around $40 with an average of 14,418 in attendance (this seems inflated), you're looking at: $576,720 per game in attendance fees. Based on 41 home games you're looking at approximately $23.6 million in ticket sales alone.

What happens if you drop average ticket prices by 10% to $36?
    Let's say you've made the problem areas cheaper, so not all tickets. The problem areas for the Hawks have been the lower sections (upper sections actually do OK)
    If you can try and draw at least 90% attendance (19/30 teams have at least 90% attendance this season). 90% attendance at $36 per ticket equates to:
    $590,911 per game. Over 41 games that's $24.2 million.

But why sell an extra 1,996 tickets for a revenue increase of $14,191?
    (average extra spectator brings in $7.10 in ticket sales)
    1. Increasing attendance increases sales of food, drinks and merchandise
    2. Increasing attendance increase the amount you can charge advertisers (advertisers don't like to see empty arenas on TV)
    3. Increasing attendance creates a local buzz around the team and generates fan excitement
    4. Increasing attendance boosts player moral - "Oh, we're playing for a crowd tonight."
    5. It does not cost the Hawks $7.10 per extra fan. At best, the Hawks arena staff would be kept busier rather than standing around looking for work to do.
    6. Pay for a sales rep to get out into businesses selling sections of tickets. There's no excuses for that many empty seats.

How can the Hawks improve the fan experience?
    - Half time shows from entertainers Atlanta fans want to see. Atlanta has an awesome nightlife, and I always have a blast when I'm there. Time to bring in some entertainers that fans would pay to see. Look at this list of just rappers alone: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...lanta,_Georgia
    and others: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Atlanta
    - Get the keeeds into the game! Let in select schools for free. Send those Hawks players into more schools. Create a local star atmosphere, and try to turn kids against bandwagoning (Kobe, LeBron, Durant fans)
    - Get a decent announcer
    - Have more giveaways
    - Stop parading geriatrics like Pettit, Nique and Spud out whenever you can. Put together an opening sequence each game with some exciting Hawks plays from the past, and make a cool entrance like the old Bulls entrance when MJ played. Honour the past players each game by seeing some awesome highlights, not some BS walking out hobbled old assholes.
    - Fire Danny Ferry. He will ruin the franchise. He's already building around Horford and Millsap. They are complimentary all-stars not franchise leaders. No one says, "Oh, man! The Hawks are in town, I'm going to go check out Paul Millap's game." He's not exciting and neither is Horford. Atlanta needs a player like Iverson to get behind. Hell, what Atlanta really needs is a gangster star like Iverson teamed with a white breed guy like Kevin Love that the white fans can get behind. It sounds stupid, but it would work.

So, where to go from here? Get your asses in the lottery. Avoid Parker (no personality), Wiggins (not marketable enough - high bust potential), Embiid (big men are boring), Randle (again boring player), and try get Exum. Dante Exum is a kid that could take this franchise to the next level in terms of fan interest and overall marketability. He's not gangster or white, but he has the "it" factor. He seems cooler than the other guys in the draft (except for Marcus Smart) (maybe a trade with the Lakers - that takes care of 2 Millsap, Teague and Horford, too)

Draft Adrian Payne with the Hawks pick at 15. Draft Russ Smith with their 2nd round pick. Acquire another 2nd rounder and get Patric Young.

Bring in a player that the fans can get excited about. Kenneth Faried works for me.

Trade Al Horford, Jeff Teague & Paul Millsap to a team with cap space and get that lottery pick to draft Exum. Lakers will do it for sure.
    Lakers after trade:
    CT: Gasol/ Sacre
    PF: Horford/ Millsap
    SF: Johnson/ Young
    SG: Bryant/ Meeks
    PG: Teague/ Nash/ Marshall

Offer Lance Stephenson a big contract in free agency.
    Trade for Ian Mahinmi before this move.

If the could roll out:
    CT: Pero Antic/ Ian Mahinmi/ Patric Young
    PF: Kenneth Faried/ Adrian Payne
    SF: Kyle Korver/ DeMarre Carroll
    SG: Lance Stephenson/ Russ Smith/ John Jenkins
    PG: Dante Exum/ Dennis Schroeder

(trade Lou Williams expirer mid season)

There really is no reason for Atlanta to have an NBA team.

Quote Originally Posted by jzek
    I can't even name a single Hawks player. I'd like to say Horford but I'm not sure if he's still there or not. More reason the NBA needs to contract...

fgt op that pic was from when the game started. it got more packed you stupid dipsh.its.

plus whats the difference between this a a heat game? attendance looks the same

Quote Originally Posted by AnaheimLakers24
    fgt op that pic was from when the game started. it got more packed you stupid dipsh.its.

plus whats the difference between this a a heat game? attendance looks the same
    Of course it did, but look at the attendance numbers for the game. 64% capacity against the Raps who are the 3rd seed right now.

The Hawks have horrible attendance, in fact the 3rd worst in the entire league. Only ahead of the 76ers and Bucks, and hey're he worst two teams in the league. What are you not getting here? Can we get you some more education?

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS
    Of course it did, but look at the attendance numbers for the game. 64% capacity against the Raps who are the 3rd seed right now.

The Hawks have horrible attendance, in fact the 3rd worst in the entire league. Only ahead of the 76ers and Bucks, and hey're he worst two teams in the league. What are you not getting here? Can we get you some more education?
    no one cares about the 3 seeded raps to go to a shitty game fgt. no one even cares about the 1 seeded pacers.

Quote Originally Posted by AnaheimLakers24
    no one cares about the 3 seeded raps to go to a shitty game fgt. no one even cares about the 1 seeded pacers.
    What do people care about then? Tell us professor.

hawks fans are depressing on ISH and IRL