Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast
    Serious playground baller Extempo's Avatar

Default Suns coach says Kobe is the best closer in the history of basketball, better than MJ

Phoenix Suns head coach Alvin Gentry has a lot of respect for Kobe Bryant and told The Arizona Republic Friday that the Lakers guard is the best closer ever in the NBA.

"He's the best closer in the history of the game if you ask me," Gentry said. "Yeah, that is including Michael Jordan. I just think what he's done this year, to have six game-winning shots that come on the last possession of the game, I don't know if anybody has ever done that.

"If that's the case, we have to try to make somebody else be that closer. That's not to say that he'll give it up. I've seen him make it over three guys, too. But as far as we're concerned, we have to try to get the ball out of his hands some kind of way."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/featu...ate%3d20100313
    Somebody who speaks the truth. Phil Jackson also said that he would go with Kobe over MJ if he had to pick someone to take the last shot. Kobe already has more game-winners than MJ did throughout his career. It's about time people start taking notice. MJ dickriders like Charles Barkley are threatened that Kobe could be considered better than MJ in one category and that's why they quickly tried to dismiss Kobe's game-winners as lucky. People who matter, aka coaches in the NBA, know who's the clutchest and they'll tell it like it is. MJ can't be the best at every category. MJ dickriders need to accept reality.

7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Suns coach says Kobe is the best closer in the history of basketball, better than MJ

The term closer is dumb anyway, but Jordan was the better clutch player anyway.

Good college starter

Default Re: Suns coach says Kobe is the best closer in the history of basketball, better than MJ

Quote Originally Posted by Extempo
    Somebody who speaks the truth. Phil Jackson also said that he would go with Kobe over MJ if he had to pick someone to take the last shot. Kobe already has more game-winners than MJ did throughout his career. It's about time people start taking notice. MJ dickriders like Charles Barkley are threatened that Kobe could be considered better than MJ in one category and that's why they quickly tried to dismiss Kobe's game-winners as lucky. People who matter, aka coaches in the NBA, know who's the clutchest and they'll tell it like it is. MJ can't be the best at every category. MJ dickriders need to accept reality.

I would say Kobe coming straight out of High School is gonna hurt his legacy.. HIs basketball years will soon catch up to him which would prevent him from winning 2 more rings which I think he would need to pass Jordan as GOAT. His first 3 as the clear support player is nice but its kinda like Kevin Mchale and James Worthy, not gonna place him with the elite. I see Kobe playing at this level for about 4 more years max.Jordan has something Kobe doesnt thats he was the clear best player of his era Kobe has 2 maybe 3 players that can rightfuly claim being the best today.

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    The term closer is dumb anyway, but Jordan was the better clutch player anyway.
    You don't need to hit game winners when you're going 72-10.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by Niquesports
    I would say Kobe coming straight out of High School is gonna hurt his legacy.. HIs basketball years will soon catch up to him which would prevent him from winning 2 more rings which I think he would need to pass Jordan as GOAT. His first 3 as the clear support player is nice but its kinda like Kevin Mchale and James Worthy, not gonna place him with the elite. I see Kobe playing at this level for about 4 more years max.Jordan has something Kobe doesnt thats he was the clear best player of his era Kobe has 2 maybe 3 players that can rightfuly claim being the best today.
    What makes 6 rings some magical number? Because Michael Jordan has six? What if he had 7? Would that be the magical number? Or how about 8 or 9? Why is the greatness of future stars dependent upon how many rings Jordan won?

Russell has 11, in thirteen years.

Last I checked, 11>>>6.

TimeConfidence
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

This isn't baseball, there's no such thing as a closer.

he might be the best closer for the last minute of the game. but too bad he still sucks compared to jordan for the first 47 minutes.

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by KAJ=GOAT
    Last I checked, 11>>>6.
    In an 8 team league?

That's why it isn't as readily mentioned as Jordan's 6.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by KAJ=GOAT
    What makes 6 rings some magical number? Because Michael Jordan has six? What if he had 7? Would that be the magical number? Or how about 8 or 9? Why is the greatness of future stars dependent upon how many rings Jordan won?

Russell has 11, in thirteen years.

Last I checked, 11>>>6.

The number 6 is magical because that would be 3 he earned as his teams best player it would place him past Magic and would equal the total of MJ. I dnt think he needs to pass Jordan as I said with all his basketball years I dont think he has it in him to win more than 2 more. Russell will always get talked about when talking about Greatest team player or best Center but GOAT is usually saved for more offensive players .As far as Kobe legecy based on Jordan its called passing the torch if LBJ wants to be next he has to start winning this season his basketball years are up there also.

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

Kobe could very well be a better CLOSER than Jordan because, as JA Adande put it so nicely, Kobe's probably the best "bad shot maker" ever.

Now please, please let this thread end and dont let the usual idiots come in and say how Jordan is overrated and how he didnt impact teams the way Wilt did.

Please just end this nonsense. Yeah Kobe is maybe a better closer, like how Chauncey Billup is a better closer than Tim Duncan. THE END

On a serious note, check out the OP and the way he gets all offensive from the start and attack a certain base. Then, if Jordan fans come here a bit offended, the goon squad like Roundball and KAJ will say we're so insecure and all that.

So let's not even give those idiots that hard on. Kobe could be a better closer, according to Alvin Gentry. Yes that is right.

Kobes definitely a top two shooting guard!
    Last edited by EricForman; 03-13-2010 at 03:02 PM.

TimeConfidence

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    In an 8 team league?

That's why it isn't as readily mentioned as Jordan's 6.
    Less teams = more stacked, it's a two-way street.

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

There are only 3 guys in this conversation - MJ, Bird & Kobe. I don't think it's outrageous to proclaim one as the best of the lot. But this thread isn't going to be pretty.

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by TimeConfidence
    Less teams = more stacked, it's a two-way street.
    But that's not true, in theory yes. Maybe if that was now, yes. But basketball was still in its infancy stages at the professional level. And the only truly STACKED team in that whopping 8 man league. WAS the Boston Celtics.

They had like 2 of the 3 top players in the game leading their team, and countless other great secondary / role players.

TimeConfidence

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    But that's not true. Maybe if that was now, yes. But basketball was still in its infancy stages at the professional level. And the only truly STACKED team in that whopping 8 man league. WAS the Boston Celtics.

They had like 2 of the 3 top players in the game leading their team, and countless other great secondary / role players.
    Pretty sure there was a HOF player in each team back then even Wilt had some HOF players, people just blindly don't realize this.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    You don't need to hit game winners when you're going 72-10.
    exactly. how often were jordns teams in positions in which jordan had to bail them out? those bulls team were dominant