Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Default Re: Statistically, who matches up with "Playoff Jordan"?

Quote Originally Posted by unbreakable
    Those defensive teams were REALLY GOOD.. not GREAT. You really think Larry Bird and Danny Ainge's slow ass could stop Jordan? Mchale and Parish' slow ass? Meanwhile Kobe is going at KG, Pierce, Posey..feel me?

Anyways, this entire thread is flawed because
    A) Kobe wasnt the man from day 1
    B) Youre a known Kobe hater
    C) You dont know shlt

Quote Originally Posted by jmill
    Yes, all time playoff career averages.

Kobe will pass him in everything.

Value Ape.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
    Sasha Vujacic
    Win.

I Machine much hair pass Michale Baldie with my flowing locks for badabing boing.

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by Indian guy
    Making up BS as usual. LeBron's faced a BOTTOM 5 defensive team only once in his career - the 06-07 Wizards. He had NEVER faced a sub .500 team in the playoffs prior to facing Detroit this season.

45% of LeBron's playoff series' have come against the 3 best defensive teams of this decade - Detroit, SA & Boston. I think it's downright amazing despite all that he's still closest to MJ's numbers out of the Big 3.
    My bad. Lebron faced bottom 5 once, the other years Wizards were only bottom 6 and bottom 8

LOL at you including this years Piston team in that 45%. Thanks for revealing your agenda.

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    My bad. Lebron faced bottom 5 once
    Like you didn't know that

LOL at you including this years Piston team in that 45%.
    I didn't. He faced Detroit in '06 & '07, Spurs in '07 and Boston in '08. Has played 9 series' in total.

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by JayGuevara
    Didn't Jordan himself state that Joe Dumars was most difficult single defender he ever had to face? And Dumars was listed at 6'3. Gary Payton, another notable defender, was listed at 6'4. John Starks was also listed at 6'3", the same height as Joe Dumars, and one inch shorter than Gary Payton. So I don't really buy your defender's height argument. I don't actually think anyone does.
    Payton had a LOT of help and him shutting down Jordan is such a f*cking myth. Jordan was doubled more during those finals than in any other one. In terms of jumpshots, Jordan didn't have a problem getting to his spots and just rising over him, he missed a lot of jumpers he would usually stick. I remember Marv Albert even commenting on this. Didn't help that the Bulls team (outside of Jordan) played like trash in Seattle too. I can't even recall Jordan playing in single coverage at all when he was posting up or coming off screens.
    Last edited by Fatal9; 04-29-2009 at 03:47 PM.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    Look. I dont mean to sound rude. But you created this thread for one reason and one reason only... to hate on Kobe. It aint right.

Quote Originally Posted by JordanL
    Not sure what's so funny.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

The funny thing is that these people that state how good the Boston and Detroit defenses were, are probably the same exact people that probably thought that the Lakers were going to win easily prior to these series. They only respect their competition when they lose. Suddenly they go from thinking, "These defenses aren't going to do anything to Kobe" to "WOW ZOMG BEst Defenzes EVAR!"

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Kobe's numbers aren't even better than Vince Carter's.

Playoffs

Kobe Bryant
    24.3 ppg, 44.5% fg, 32.5% 3pt FG, 5.0 rpg, 4.6 apg, 1.3 spg, 0.7 bpg, 2.9 tpg

Vince Carter
    25.9 ppg, 41.8% fg, 33.2% 3 pt FG, 6.9 rpg, 5.2 apg, 1.5 spg, 0.9 bpg, 2.7 tpg

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by unbreakable
    Look. I dont mean to sound rude. But you created this thread for one reason and one reason only... to hate on Kobe. It aint right.
    Nope. I created this thread because those are the 3 best players in the league and I think it's fun to measure these perimeter players against the best. They are putting up numbers that people compare to MJ and I wanted a way to mark their progress through the rest of their careers.

I didn't go into this with an agenda...I didn't know Kobe's numbers were so far off from MJ until I calculated them. Besides...I also did a comparison of Jordan, Magic, Bird, Kobe, Wade and Lebron on a minute per minute basis because I knew there were going to be some people that complain that Kobe wasn't "the man" as long as the others and is unfairly penalized for the early years averaging less than 20 mins per game.

The numbers weren't pretty and unfavorable to Kobe so I didn't include it. 3rd in pts per min, lowest asts per min, lowest rebs per min, lowest stls per min and 2nd lowest blks per min among the six. But I didn't include that. This thread wasn't about Kobe, but about how the big 3 compared to Jordan.
    Last edited by Da_Realist; 04-29-2009 at 04:20 PM.

GiveItToBurrito
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Wade seems to the most. Lebron's numbers are just different, with more of an emphasis on rebounding and passing and less on scoring. At the same time, Jordan had to deal with hand-checking, as well as a style that de-emphasized three-point shooting relative to today, so it's hard to make cross-era comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by pierce2008mvp

Playoffs

Kobe Bryant

Vince Carter

Hi TmacsRockets.

Quote Originally Posted by pierce2008mvp

Playoffs

Kobe Bryant

Vince Carter
    Meh, pretty weak to include Kobe's first two years when he was a teenager getting like 17 minutes per game.

Take that out and Kobe's at

26.6ppg,44.7%fg,33.2% 3ptFG, 5.5 rpg, 5.2 apg,1.6spg, .7bpg

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    The problem is that he wasn't exactly taking a "back seat" to Shaq offensively, since he actually shot as much, or more, and Shaq takes a lot of pressure off of a SG.
    Maybe, maybe not. It be nice to know where and how Kobe took those shots with Shaq in the middle compared to where he takes them now. It is interesting how his FG% has gone up in the playoffs after Shaq's departure even with defenses focused on him. This could be due to better shot selection and/or Kobe being placed in better situations for him to score without Shaq being in the middle.

I also find it odd that Kobe's FG% has gone up or equaled in the playoffs vs regular season since '06.

Kobe wasn't near Jordan's prime in the playoffs but his averages since Shaq left place him in some pretty high company.
    Last edited by KenneBell; 04-29-2009 at 04:38 PM.