Local High School Star

Default Which is worst, being a short player in Basketball or Volleyball?

What do you think? My opinion is that you can be an effective player in Basketball but to a lesser degree in Volleyball if you are short.

Default Re: Which is worst, being a short player in Basketball or Volleyball?

I can only speak on beach vball, because I've never played indoor competitively. In beach vball, you only play 2 v 2, so each guy needs to be able to finish and block at the net, or the other team will exploit your weakness. A volleyball net is only 8' high, but you are jumping out of sand in bare feet. For comparison, I can barely dunk a basketball, but can play the net pretty effectively in beach vball.

Anyways, I think there are a lot more ways for a short guy to contribute in basketball than in beach vball. Regardless of how good you are at digging/passing/etc., if you can't effectively play the net... that's a major disadvantage.

Boozer and Lebron Fam CarlosBoozer's Avatar

Team volleyball you can be short and still play, 2v2 you'll get raped if your opponent is a giant and athletic. For basketball, you can be short and still be effective (shooting and passing)

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosBoozer
    Team volleyball you can be short and still play, 2v2 you'll get raped if your opponent is a giant and athletic. For basketball, you can be short and still be effective (shooting and passing)
    I mean in competitive matches. In the NBA you see guys that are 5'8, 5'9 playing well (Nate Rob and especially Isiah). Then you have CP3 whose an allstar at 6'0.

In competitive volleyball the shortest players are the Liberos. Even then they still range in 6'0 to 6'4. The setters, spikers are the taller ones and are deemed more "valuable" for their offense. Liberos can't attack and are strictly for defense.

volleyball