Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Who would you draft over Shaq?

Wilt, Bill Russell, Kareem, 18 year old Sabonis are 4 players I would consider

Michael Jordan
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    Lebron James
    Larry Bird
    Magic Johnson
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    Oscar Robertson
    Wilt Chamberlain

..and ofcourse Reggie Miller :)
    Last edited by pauk; 01-30-2013 at 11:20 PM.

70p game: DBook-1 MJ-0 livingby3's's Avatar

Tim Duncan is underrated imo. I will take him. A big man who function relatively great at both ends, loyal, longevity, he's one of the few guys I think will excel in many different eras of basketball.

IVERSON... duh!

Dunking on everybody in the park gin17's Avatar

hakeem, wilt, kareem

if i had the benefit of foresight, jordan or bird. i may also try picking duncan.

Decent college freshman Duderonomy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gengiskhan

Despite pathetic resume, no one ever questioned Shaq's Top 50 players ever spot like they questioned Scottie Pippen's as 'Nique was Excluded.

Everyone who voted Shaq in the Top 50 players Ever in 1997 new one thing.

Shaq is a GUARANTEED MULTIPLE TITLES in near future in his peak prime. Its just a matter of "WHEN" & with which franchise.
    For once I actually agree with you.

I'd draft Wilt Chamberlain over him. Dude was a beast. He would have thrown Shaq around like a rag doll since he was one of the strongest men in the world. Wilt bench pressed 500 pounds like it's nothing and killed a mountain lion with his bare hands. Call me when Shaq can do those herculean feats.

Quote Originally Posted by deja vu
    I'd draft Wilt Chamberlain over him. Dude was a beast. He would have thrown Shaq around like a rag doll since he was one of the strongest men in the world. Wilt bench pressed 500 pounds like it's nothing and killed a mountain lion with his bare hands. Call me when Shaq can do those herculean feats.

I'm sure he could take on a herculean feast though

NBA lottery pick

Without hindsight, I'm not taking anybody over Shaq. Hopefully, I can also draft/trade and get a good SG to pair with Shaq, then it's game over for the leauge.

With hindsight, I'll take Michael Jordan. Dude was/would be unstoppable no matter what era. If he didn't retire early and come back, probably would of won more rings than Bill Russell.

So, Shaq without hindsight.

The G.O.A.T(Michael Jordan) with hindsight.

High School Varsity 6th Man MisterAmazing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
    Kareem, Hakeem, Duncan, Oscar, Lebron, Magic since I take loyalty to a franchise into account

Kareem, Hakeem, Russell, Wilt, Kobe, Magic

I always say take the big man first over all.

But the only exception I would make of course is Jordan.
    LeBron is looking like he may be an exception as well and is a good argument.

There for....

Jordan
    Kareem
    The Dream

and that's it.

This does not mean I think Shaq is the 4th greatest player of all time.
    But if I had the 4th pick of an all time team I will be getting Shaq over Wilt.
    Maybe I am a homer to my era but I would get Shaq at 4 and the three above players before Shaq.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

If we are talking about big men..than Wilt easily. Unstoppable offensively and defensively. Great passing big man.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I think about this all the time, about the truely great prospects I've seen. Not so much how they turned out, but how they were percieved entering the league, and how I viewed their potential at that point.

Shaq is right at the top, just for his shear size and athleticism alone. One of the issues I think people have with Shaq is that inspite of his rediculous resume, you could make a pretty good case that he still underachieved.

Shaq, Lebron, immediately come to mind. So does Chris Webber, who's the first guy I remember coming out of HS with the kind of hype he did. And his skill set was so enormously complete. Of course he was taken first then traded, but still, that was due to the presence of Shaq on this list. Derrick Coleman, who's from my favorite school, and played in a way I found particualarly appealing, and I was pretty young at that point. Of course that didn't work out so well.
    Much before that I don't remember a ton, as I was pretty young. But I do actively remember Ewing and Hakeem were both considered franchise changers, to the point where the Ewing draft fix is a pop culture fixture. And Ralph Sampson was a 7-4 do everything guy with a 3 National Player of the Year Pedigree coming in, who'd allegedly been offered the opportunity to go first in drafts going back to HS (a story he tells first person about Red Aurbach in the Jim Valvano 30 for 30, which was spectacular by the way).

So I'm looking at guys more in terms of how you'd draft them if every prospect were thrown in the same pot together, so it makes anyone who didn't go one a little tricky to guage, like Jordan, who was a dynamic prospect.

If you're asking it the other way, I'm building a team, and knowing what I know after the fact, who would I want to build it around, I'd take Kareem.

Only Kareem.