Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: Donaghy Says Stern Told Refs To Manipulate 2005 Mavs-Rockets Series

Quote Originally Posted by vert48
    The first play is a perfect example. It looks like a foul at full speed, but in the replay, he gets all ball, and the announcers still say there was contact all over his arms.
    The next play is Yao's moving screen. To say anything other than 'good call' is ridiculous, but the announcer says it happens a hundred times a game. I guess he is correct, if Yao is in the game.
    This is a video put together to show bad calls, and the first 2 are good calls, with most of rest being either the correct call, or questionable at worst.
    Bad/missed/questionable calls happen every game for both teams. If you are going to show a video of bad calls, make sure they are bad calls.

Are you F Kidding me, pause at .8 sec and tell me how the wrist is now call a ball.

Quote Originally Posted by U got Served
    Houston had "questionable" calls going against them the entire game. While Dallas was getting all the "questionable" calls to their favor. And yet it was still a 3 pt game before Finley got the ball while stepping out of bounds. The refs saw every "illegal screen" Yao was setting out there, but failed to see Finley's big foot stepping out of bounds. Great, just great. Also, since the "illegal screens" happen all the time, and are set all the time by different players; yet only a specific player is targeted, in this case Yao Ming, that's the definition of manipulating the series. Yes Yao did set an illegal screen, and that play does happen all the time by different players, yet was only "targeted" at Yao Ming. Yes Stern and the league where "fixing" or "correcting" something they had been missing. The problem is you only see them "correcting" their calls towards Yao Ming, not the overall players setting "illegal screens". That play, slightly moving on a screen, happens all the time, by many different players, yet was only targeted at Yao Ming. So yes, the refs did maniplate the series.
    Moving screens are like traveling violations. Players are allowed to get away with small violations, but not major violations. Yes, moving screens happen all the time, but not like the moving screens Yao is setting. Yao's moving screens are the equivalent of taking 5 steps and not getting called for traveling, and we all know that only LeBron is allowed to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by el_locoteee
    Are you F Kidding me, pause at .8 sec and tell me how the wrist is now call a ball.
    I must be watching something else, because I do not see the wrist getting hit.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    it isnt hard to believe that the games are rigged in the NBA. Donaghy is a liar, but that doesnt mean he is lying about this.. Somebody mentioned canseco earlier.. he was a liar too..

I tend to believe something stinks in Stern's game right now, but I wouldnt believe too much of what donaghy says without more verification from other sources...
    It was another retired refs that said it was disturbing when in HT some higher NBA official came into the ref locker room and started to point what call they should be paying more attention and he say it was really influential to the refs especially the young ones.

South Africa 2010

Moving screens are like traveling violations. Players are allowed to get away with small violations, but not major violations. Yes, moving screens happen all the time, but not like the moving screens Yao is setting. Yao's moving screens are the equivalent of taking 5 steps and not getting called for traveling, and we all know that only LeBron is allowed to do that.
    First of all, who are you to determine the when a screen is a "major" violation or a "small" violation? Let the refs decide that, they're the professionals who are getting paid. They're the ones who decide what's a "major" moving screen or a "minor" moving screen. What a coincidence that all the "illegal screens" that happen all the times by different players were mainly getting called on Yao Ming. The league decided that every moving screen, big or small, that Yao set was going to be called; while other players rarely got called for illegal screens. That means they manipulated the series.

First of all, who are you to determine the when a screen is a "major" violation or a "small" violation? Let the refs decide that, they're the professionals who are getting paid. They're the ones who decide what's a "major" moving screen or a "minor" moving screen. What a coincidence that all the "illegal screens" that happen all the times by different players were mainly getting called on Yao Ming. The league decided that every moving screen, big or small, that Yao set was going to be called; while other players rarely got called for illegal screens. That means they manipulated the series.
    I am not the one deciding. The NBA should, and then let the refs know what should be called. Isn't that what they did? They did not decide that every moving screen set by Yao should be called. Show me a small moving screen that was called on Yao, and not on someone else.

South Africa 2010

I am not the one deciding. The NBA should, and then let the refs know what should be called. Isn't that what they did? They did not decide that every moving screen set by Yao should be called. Show me a small moving screen that was called on Yao, and not on someone else.
    You'd think that Yao would stop setting these "major" illegal screens after the first time. Yao was constantly being called for these screens while others got away with them. The refs were making correct calls, sometimes, and they decide for themselves that they were going to target Yao Ming, not whoever was the one setting illegal screens. I see a player traveling every goddamn game yet I dont see the refs consistantly calling the travels on a specific player. The refs decided they were going to go "textbook" on Yao, while they let the other players play. That's called manipulating the series. I watched the series, and Yao was indeed "targeted". If you're going to officiate someone by the "textbook rules" you should do it for every player. Otherwise that would be manipulating a game.

You'd think that Yao would stop setting these "major" illegal screens after the first time. Yao was constantly being called for these screens while others got away with them. The refs were making correct calls, sometimes, and they decide for themselves that they were going to target Yao Ming, not whoever was the one setting illegal screens. I see a player traveling every goddamn game yet I dont see the refs consistantly calling the travels on a specific player. The refs decided they were going to go "textbook" on Yao, while they let the other players play. That's called manipulating the series. I watched the series, and Yao was indeed "targeted". If you're going to officiate someone by the "textbook rules" you should do it for every player. Otherwise that would be manipulating a game.
    You and I just disagree. I saw calls going both ways in that series. How many illegal screens was Yao called for in the series? I did not see any screens he was called for that were not also called on other players.

South Africa 2010

You and I just disagree. I saw calls going both ways in that series. How many illegal screens was Yao called for in the series? I did not see any screens he was called for that were not also called on other players.
    Mavs were the better team anyway. Houston was just on a hot streak that sprung from their regular season.