Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster
Default T-Mac + Duncan vs. Kobe + Shaq in 2000

I'm wondering how legacies would have been altered had Duncan decided to join McGrady in Orlando back in 2000.

Do you see multiple trips to the Finals out of the East for that duo? Would it have made a good, competitive rivalry with the Lakers? Would it have motivated T-Mac to dedicate himself more to training/practice for basketball, thus preventing some of the injuries he had?

I really wish I could peer into the alternate universe where this happened.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
Mass Debator
Local High School Star

Mass Debator has decent reputationMass Debator has decent reputation
Default Re: T-Mac + Duncan vs. Kobe + Shaq in 2000

That would've been sweet, that Magic squad won't stop the Lakers. Maybe in 2003.
Mass Debator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
dh144498
ripthekik is my hero!

dh144498 has not been impressing people

who knows what TMac's health would have been, but Spurs would have been alot tougher in those years against Shaq and Kobe.
I still see Lakers win it all in 2000,
Lakers in 6 against Spurs in 2001,
2002 is tough, Lakers in 7?
dh144498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
RichieW
I hit open 5-footers

RichieW has not been impressing people

More interesting would have been what if Duncan didn't get injured in 2000
RichieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
tikay0
Banned

tikay0 is starting to rub some people the wrong waytikay0 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

All things being equal, gotta with the star power. The league would make sure the Lakers would win.
tikay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
ThaRegul8r
National High School Star

ThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh144498
who knows what TMac's health would have been, but Spurs would have been alot tougher in those years against Shaq and Kobe.
I still see Lakers win it all in 2000,
Lakers in 6 against Spurs in 2001,
2002 is tough, Lakers in 7?

You must have misunderstood the OP. Because I don't see how the Spurs would even be relevant, let alone a lot tougher, if Duncan left them to go to Orlando.
ThaRegul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
stephanieg
College superstar

stephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected poster

Implying Orlando would get out of the first round with the T-Mac curse. All that would've done is turn Duncan into a lovable loser.
stephanieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
dh144498
ripthekik is my hero!

dh144498 has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
You must have misunderstood the OP. Because I don't see how the Spurs would even be relevant, let alone a lot tougher, if Duncan left them to go to Orlando.

oh, lmao. Yeah I misread.
dh144498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Considering how the East was during those years, I see a Duncan/McGrady duo getting out to the finals each season. It would have really been great to see as far as a Shaq/Duncan rivalry and the Kobe/McGrady rivalry.

Before answering, though, I have to ask whether the OP means a potential big 3 with Hill still there and healthy, or Duncan instead of Hill? The latter would be much easier to answer snce we know the caliber of players Duncan and McGrady were from '01 on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieW
More interesting would have been what if Duncan didn't get injured in 2000

I thought they were the 3rd best team in the West that year behind the Lakers and Blazers, and a pretty clear 3rd. Would have been nice to see them with a chance to defend their title, but I don't think they were as good as either team. That was the most motivated of the Shaq/Kobe/Phil Lakers with peak Shaq, Kobe emerging as arguably the best two-way guard in the league and veteran role players with championship experience in Ron Harper and Robert Horry to provide leadership. While Portland was exceptionally stacked with a great defense, a number of different offensive weapons, a deep bench and a lot of size. It just seemed like one of those 2 teams was coming out of the West most of that season.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
Before answering, though, I have to ask whether the OP means a potential big 3 with Hill still there and healthy, or Duncan instead of Hill? The latter would be much easier to answer snce we know the caliber of players Duncan and McGrady were from '01 on.

Duncan instead of Hill.

Another thing I forgot to include in the first post... I wonder if this hypothetical Orlando Magic duo would have had any impact on the Shaq & Kobe relationship. If T-Mac and Duncan somehow proved themselves to be a perennial threat out of the East, I wonder if Kobe would have been more inclined to have a better relationship with Shaq and want him to stick around to contend.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #11
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieg
Implying Orlando would get out of the first round with the T-Mac curse. All that would've done is turn Duncan into a lovable loser.

The "T-Mac curse" came to be because it was T-Mac and T-Mac alone on that Orlando team. With assistance from Duncan, surely his playoff experiences would have looked a little different from that first year on.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
Duncan instead of Hill.

Another thing I forgot to include in the first post... I wonder if this hypothetical Orlando Magic duo would have had any impact on the Shaq & Kobe relationship. If T-Mac and Duncan somehow proved themselves to be a perennial threat out of the East, I wonder if Kobe would have been more inclined to have a better relationship with Shaq and want him to stick around to contend.

Ok, well then I'd guess they'd get to the finals regularly. Starting with 2001, which was T-Mac's breakout year, you're adding prime Duncan to a team that already won 43 games. I'm guessing they at least challenge Philly for the number 1 seed, and possibly win 60 games. Duncan's presence may have gotten T-Mac to play up to his potential more defensively, especially since T-Mac wouldn't have to carry as much of the offensive load. Then they'd have ROY Mike Miller, and Darrell Armstrong who was a solid point guard at the time. They had some pretty good shooters surrounding Duncan and T-Mac.

I don't think they'd just roll over to the Lakers, but I still have to go with LA. That team was firing on all cylinders, especially with Shaq in peak form, Kobe playing his best all around ball other than possibly '08, Fisher on a hot streak all playoffs ect.

2002 is more interesting because it'd be their second year together and both T-Mac and Duncan got even better. But Darrell Armstrong was aging and Mike Miller was injured for the playoffs. They did have Horace Grant, but I'll still go with LA by a hair. Especially with what the '02 team showed getting by the Kings. Shaq was still the dominant player in the league, Kobe was exceptionally clutch throughout the playoffs and despite Fisher having a terrible run, and Samaki Walker not giving them what Grant had a year earlier, Horry stepped up big with his best run of the 3peat and Fox gave them solid all around play just as he had in 2001. I do see McGrady/Duncan winning 60 games give or take and they could possibly have home court so they'd definitely have a shot.

'03 is where history really may have been altered, imo. I see LA getting to the finals without the Spurs in their way, but they coasted for half this season and seemed kind of worn out after the 3peat. Orlando wouldn't have a great cast around Duncan and T-Mac with this as their lineup.

PG- Jacque Vaughn/34 year old Darrell Armstrong
SG- T-Mac
SF- Rookie Gordan Giricek
PF- Rookie Drew Gooden/PatGarrity
C- Duncan/Andrew DeClercq/310 pound Shawn Kemp(last season)

But Duncan and T-Mac also peaked and were at this point, as good, if not better than the Laker stars. Orlando would be in danger of being the Buffalo Bills of the NBA as well, and they'd almost certainly have HCA so I'd give them this one, especially since the actual champions this year were a Duncan-led team.

They'd have to be considered strong candidates to repeat in '04 as well with the problems LA had, but Detroit can't be slept on. And I'd bet money that T-Mac has a much better season than he actually did in '04 because he'd almost certainly be more motivated and wouldn't want out of Orlando the way he did in '04.

Both T-Mac and Duncan were still in their prime in '05 as well, and a Duncan-led team won that title.

Obviously, it doesn't mean Orlando would have had the same exact cast because with the Magic contending, they'd be a more desirable destination for role players, which is always the case with teams like this. But since we're talking about Duncan replacing Hill, I made it easier and just kept the rest of the casts he same.

This also means Dwight Howard is drafted by a different team. But I see Duncan/T-Mac contending virtually every year, particularly in the East, and as many as 3-4 championships wouldn't surprise me at all, though it's impossible to predict things like that considering how elusive one championship can be.

One possibility that has to be considered though is if T-Mac minds potentially being in Duncan's shadow. He'd have probably been the leading scorer, at least by their 2nd or 3rd year together, but remember that T-Mac didn't seem too fond of playing in Vince Carter's shadow.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: