Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default I would like to call your attention to something you already knew about Hakeem.

He was a monster. And while you knew that...you dont take the time to praise it as you should.

I wont bother with talking about his skills which we should all be well aware of. With all the recent talk of stats and which stats are more impressive and the nationwide polls and so on......I am going to give you a selection of Hakeems best games....not from his career. And not even from one season. But one month. March of 1990....

First let me say that the last day of the previous month?

37/25 and 5 blocks

And when march started....

March the first. 41/14/7 blocks and 4 assists vs the Suns. Next game he put up 29 points...18 rebounds....11 blocks...10 assists...and 5 steals. Next game was 37 and 14 with 4 blocks and 3 steals vs David robinson. Next game? Lakers got 27/14/8/4/3.

After that he "cooled off" a little bit with a stretch of...

30/8/5/3/1 14 of 19 shooting
    25/16 8 blocks and 3 steals.
    25 points 19 rebounds 6 assists 4 blocks and 3 steals
    17/22/8 blocks and 4 steals.
    19/12 6 blocks. His worst game of the month maybe.

That continues on for a while. 20/20 game in there. 27/18 game. You know.

And right after the 28/18 game came a game that many are aware of. His quadruple double. I already posted his quad double you say? Well....it seems I only posted one of them from that month. you see Hakeem was in retrospect either given a 10th assist in the game vs the warriors on march 3rd or denied the 10th he was given to begin with. The NBA doesnt consider it an "official" quadruple double since it took a review and is questionable. But they in fact list it in his game logs. go check. Any site featuring game logs from 1990 includes Hakeem getting 2 quadruple doubles in March.

But the thing is I cant find proof of if he was given 10 and the 10th was taken on later revierw or given 9 and the 10th was added on review. Ive read stories suggesting both. Not having seen the official record on paper for the night....I just call it a quadruple double because the records show it as one. But its not often acknowledged. But lets say he didnt...

He had 29/18/11/9/5 one game that month and the usually credited quad double with 18/16/11/10 latrer.

Anyway after a pedestrian 24/16/5/5/2 to end the month with an average of 26/15 and 6 blocks he goes into April where the highlights include games with 34/19 and 52/18 vs Mutombo. All part of a season where he averaged 24/14 with 5 blocks and 2 steals a game.

Which I guess would be more impressive if he didnt put up 25/14 with 3 steals and 3 blocks a game the season before that. Which was the season after he got knocked out of the playoffs despite a 49/25/7 block elimination game. Which is all part of an 11 year run where he put up a rounded off 2 steals and 2 blocks a game over that decade plus....while somehow still being a better defender than those numbers suggest...and being a better offensive player than the numbers suggest....and a waaaaaaaaaaay better passer than his assists suggest though he did get up to about 4 a game which for a center is rare.

And yes I know drob also had some wicked stat lines in that same basic time period....but Drob lost all rights to being praised in the presence of Hakeem in 1995 when he was"Just...bamboozled". They never should have handed out that MVP in front of Hakeem....

Point?

Dont really have one. But I dont think Hakeem praise needs a point. For all the Lebron/Kobe talk about great statlines? give me like 3 of his from just March and April alone over anything they have done this year. Im gonna eventually give him a more complete video but for now this ond one will do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDBYWCwAN2o

Slightly better quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDBYWCwAN2o&fmt=18

It gets what little point I do have across. that point being...Hakeem is a bad mother****er. Maybe we should let some of these modern guys catch Hakeem before we even start talking about catching Jordan. None of them are even that close to Dream in his prime. I think you should prove greater than the apostles before you are in the running for next Jesus....
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 02-06-2009 at 06:41 AM.

Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: I would like to call your attention to something you already knew about Hakeem.

Well said. Well said.

I'm still waiting for the next Hakeem Olajuwon. Kemp showed glimpses of it in 96 then coked out. Amare isn't even close, especially with his defense.

Default Re: I would like to call your attention to something you already knew about Hakeem.

wow this thread reinvented teh wheel.

.. ^^

hakeem is one every 20 years kind of player

nice read, admitedly didnt know some of his statlines wer that monstrous. beastage

Very neat how the first reply's username is Qdouble, very very neat. I feel Hakeem, along with Malone, Stockton, Ewing, Payton (since Glove20 disappered anyway) and some others are so untalked about on ISH....nostalgic posts are always fun to read.

Odomize
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

I always thought D-Rob was the better player. Hakeem's just better when they meet head to head but against other teams, D-Rob was better.

Quote Originally Posted by Odomize
    I always thought D-Rob was the better player. Hakeem's just better when they meet head to head but against other teams, D-Rob was better.
    Seriously? I thought I was the biggest D Rob fan here.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Odomize
    Hell no.

Imagine THESE twin towers...Hakeem and Duncan

I love the dream, one of my favourite players

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I think you should prove greater than the apostles before you are in the running for next Jesus....
    Great closing line. I always had a great deal of affection for the Dream. He is one of, if not the most beautiful players to watch. He would often times completely humble his competition in a manner that would make me want to turn away from the carnage. I still can't watch his destruction of DRob without giving myself a couple of breaks to digest what I am watching. It was like watching a guy get pummelled in a championship boxing match, after a while you want to see the ref stop the fight. When you add the fact that he would often school cats while fasting during Ramadan, his feats become even more impressive.
    Last edited by Dasher; 02-06-2009 at 10:39 AM.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Hey man, thanks for the Hakeem love. Damn, sometimes I think people forget about that guy. That dude was a MONSTER and I still say he's the best center I ever saw play. *#

* I caught Kareem late in his career so he doesn't count.
    # Yes, that includes Shaq

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by brantonli
    Very neat how the first reply's username is Qdouble, very very neat. I feel Hakeem, along with Malone, Stockton, Ewing, Payton (since Glove20 disappered anyway) and some others are so untalked about on ISH....nostalgic posts are always fun to read.
    Thanks, it's my homage to Hakeem and D-Rob. I'm a fan of the 5.

While we're at it, we might as well list some good memories. I've followed Dream since 87, so I have some great memories of him.

My favorite memory of Dream has to come against Ronny Seikaly. It's in the first few games of the 94-95 season, and the Rocs have a little buzz, because they're the champs, and the Heat crowd was really expecting something. And Hakeem didn't fail to deliver.

I wish I still had the video, but my god, what Hakeem did was the 100% Dream Shake. I'm not talking about a simple baseline turn around or that move he did against D-Rob. I'm talking about catch, juking left and right like someone put the blender on maximum and then fall away jumper. Seikaly was completely juked. By the time Seikaly had comprehended what Hakeem was doing, commit to defense, and actually move to defend, Dream was already running back to half-court to play D. That was the greatest Dream Shake I ever saw.

My second great memory of Dream had to do when he was older in 98 or 99. It was against Sharif Abdul-Rahim. Dream had blocked Rahim twice, and Rahim vowed to dunk on him. Dream finished the game with 6 to 8 blocks.

National High School Star FindingTim's Avatar

BEAST. good post, great video. I like that song, too. that was a remix, no?

Not too many players have ever been the best in the league on offense and defense at the same time.

lastly, to the poster who said D-Rob is better than Hakeem: