Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Decent college freshman BFRESH44's Avatar

Ron Rothstein taking over for the timebeing....

It's like the late 80's all over again.

Reportedly, its because Slick "got tired of the losing and players' attitudes." What a freaking weasel. If I'm the replacement coach, I'm looking over my shoulder because if things start to get better he'll give me the hook to try and grab all the glory again.
    LOL, NA.... That's BS speculation off that bastard Sam Smith.

Riles is having the hip replacement surgery that he put off on for like a year now. That's all it is. It's gotten to the point where it's unbearable. That's the word that being reported on South Florida radio stations (via 790 the ticket) and papers which is 10000%% the most credible reports..
    Last edited by BFRESH44; 01-03-2007 at 02:54 PM.

Banned

He's having surgery on his hip and knee.

I still think Toine should take over :

I bet he would bench his best shooters so they could shoot 4's from the bench!

Quote Originally Posted by BFRESH44
    LOL, NA.... That's BS speculation off that bastard Sam Smith.

Riles is having the hip replacement surgery that he put off on for like a year now. That's all it is. It's gotten to the point where it's unbearable. That's the word that being reported on South Florida radio stations (via 790 the ticket) and papers which is 10000%% the most credible reports..
    I don't want to be heartless, but I'm still skeptical. Why didn't he get it taken care of after last season? Funny how when the losing starts to pile up, all of a sudden he has to leave.

I wouldn't even be saying this if this wasn't a pattern of behavior from Slick in the recent past.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    Reportedly, its because Slick "got tired of the losing and players' attitudes." What a freaking weasel. If I'm the replacement coach, I'm looking over my shoulder because if things start to get better he'll give me the hook to try and grab all the glory again.

where did you hear that from?

if its true thats pretty bad for Miami's morale the rest of the season. for a GM/Coach to quit on his team? thats laffable

NBA rookie of the year

Default re

way to kill two birds with one stone Riles. Wade also pulled one of these with his wisdom teeth surgery when the Heat played the Suns. way to go! and Shaq wont be playing in the Suns game.

I usually hit open layups

espn is reporting that riley is taking a leave of absence because of knee, hip surgery...but that's not what chicago sun times is saying though...

Quote Originally Posted by Smokee
    where did you hear that from?

if its true thats pretty bad for Miami's morale the rest of the season. for a GM/Coach to quit on his team? thats laffable
    I was listening to the Jim Rome show, and he was quoting from an established media source. I believe it was the Chicago Tribune. Maybe its from Sam Smith.

Decent college freshman BFRESH44's Avatar

I don't want to be heartless, but I'm still skeptical. Why didn't he get it taken care of after last season? Funny how when the losing starts to pile up, all of a sudden he has to leave.

I wouldn't even be saying this if this wasn't a pattern of behavior from Slick in the recent past.

Ya, trust it, It's not what you think, or anything else that's people are going to speculate over ala "he's leaving because they're losing" BS.

Riles coached this franchise through some miserable seasons(I'm talking about teams that featured Anthony Carter, Eddie House, and Chris Gaitling as top rotational guys) while the rebuilding session took place. He then then handed over the reigns to Van Gundy when he felt like he actually had young talent in place (Wade, Bulter, EJ, Odom, Grant, Skip).

He didn't punk out at all. Complete mis-characterization.

He's simply getting his hip replacement surgery because it's has been locking up as of late. That is a b1itch. He thought he could bear the pain, but it hasn't turned out that way.
    Last edited by BFRESH44; 01-03-2007 at 03:30 PM.

Good High School Starter Voice of Reason's Avatar

I agree...this speculated move is suspect. Also fair game to criticize or target Riley if other players who put off surgeries in the offseason to get them done during the season get criticized. I'd like to believe he doesnt take a leave of absense if Miami Heat are the hottest team in the league. But whatever.

Riley is limping around lately. He's injured. He's probably about to have surgery.

It's just the media saying he's running away. In all reality it's probably a hip surgery and I wonder if he'll be able to get back when they're a contender again with a better record and Shaq is back. It reminds me of all the "Ron Artest wants out" talk after he had 2 or 3 bad games and people speculated he was pouting, when in reality it was injuries.

Yup

should have taken care of it during offseason if he truly wanted to avoid risk of missing action during the miami's defending of their championship.

I usually hit open layups

Its a sexier stroy for ESPN and the other outlets if they can play it up that Riles is quitting on the team. But in reality it is the surgery which is putting Riles on the shelf.

I think he will definitely be back. Why would he quit on the team with Shaq coming back in two weeks. Not to mention that the East is so weak that there is no reason to believe that with a relatively healthy Shaq and D-Wade, this team cannot make a serious playoff run, and this is coming from a Knicks fan, so there is no love lost for the Heat.

Banned

its most probably just a nba vacation for riley. but it just might end up doing some good for the heat b/c when riley gets back, he'll have a fresh attitude and bring some added energy for the team in time for the playoff run.

Local High School Star Joey Zaza's Avatar

2 completely different thing - leaving for hip replacement surgery is finite. It has corners. "Surgery is this weekend, Riles hould be walking again, with therapy, by the end of the month and able to travel with the team by Feb" - or whatever"

Indefinite leave of absence is "I'm not going to coach until I feel better"

I would be less likely to think that riley is weasling his way out of coaching a bad team if he didn;t do it before.