Banned

Default Hands of Stone-this movie looks cool

It looks like this new movie Hands of Stone is going to be shown from Roberto Duran's perspective.

History remembers Duran as the bitch that got destroyed by Sugar Ray Leonard and quit in the middle of one of the most hyped fights of all time.

But before that he was known as one of the toughest and most badass men in boxing.

I wonder how they will film this and make Duran not look like a coward when he quits vs Leonard.

For me, this is the movie I am hyped for the most this summer. Boxing movies are always sick.

Duran was an awesome boxer and it's a shame how he quit in that fight vs Leonard.

Default Re: Hands of Stone-this movie looks cool

There's a documentary on Netflix called "No Mas" I believe which covers the same thing.

All one can say is that Duran will NEVER admit that he quit on that fight while getting out worked by Sugar Ray.

I believe Duran wasn't 100% for that fight for sure but that's his problem.

Banned

I watched this documentary, it was ESPN 30 for 30 or something.

I want to see how the movie spins that fight while still making Duran the hero of the film. It seems like this movie is meant to rebuild his image in the public eye, and quite frankly the guy deserves to not be known only as Mr. No Mas.

I hope it is a good film.

3-time NBA All-Star Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

I don't know. The studio is advertising the hell out of this which is not usually a good sign.
    Also isn't it being released on August 26? That's when the studios release their end of the summer dregs that they have little faith in, before they release the fall Oscar contenders.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I felt like that thirty for thirty pretty much covered everything pretty well. That was one of those TfT's that didn't re-air all that much. Some of them feel like they're on every night, and others just don't seem to show up at all. It's cool that Netflix carries a lot of them.

Decent college freshman

When you can't go any more in the ring, you stop. Not that crazy an idea really.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    When you can't go any more in the ring, you stop. Not that crazy an idea really.
    You are right. Duran doesn't deserve the rap he gets, hopefully this movie does him justice.

It could be good it could be shit. De Nero is in it but he is in a lot of bad movies these days. In any case, I'm seeing this shit in a theater.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    You are right. Duran doesn't deserve the rap he gets, hopefully this movie does him justice.
    Despite the "No mas" incident, Duran is still considered the greatest lightweight in boxing history, top 10 boxer ever by most, even top 5 by some.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Despite the "No mas" incident, Duran is still considered the greatest lightweight in boxing history, top 10 boxer ever by most, even top 5 by some.
    I'm just a casual boxing fan so didn't even know that. Hopefully this movie makes more casuals like me aware of the truth about this guy.

I only saw him as the 'No Mas' quitter until I looked in to him more. Yes it was ignorant but a majority of casuals are ignorant like me.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    I'm just a casual boxing fan so didn't even know that. Hopefully this movie makes more casuals like me aware of the truth about this guy.

I only saw him as the 'No Mas' quitter until I looked in to him more. Yes it was ignorant but a majority of casuals are ignorant like me.
    So Believers, on a bare minimum, ask guidance from God (in deep meditative stance), twice at the break of dawn; four times at noon, four times 2 hours before sunset, three times at sunset, and seven times at night. That's obligatory. In a state of ritual purity. The prayer recitation is Surat Fatihah and the 4th verse is "Ihdhinas Siratal Mustakeem"

20 times a day. At least.

Usually, many, many more. And make sure not to break any rules.

And they supplicate to Him many many times. And Remember God. And do good deeds and charity on top of that.

Reason I'm saying this is you had previously argued with me saying "You seem to think you need rules" to acquire Spiritual Enlightenment, or something to that line. Whereas the alternative is to... refrain from the world and meditate (correct me if I'm not mistaken.) The latter is also optional.

Here's the gist. There's a bare minimum of obligatory duties one must do, and then there's extra credit yielding higher levels of spiritual refinement. The Sufis in our faith have already mastered the Sharia, and the Saints already abide by all the rules, they kick it up a notch and go above and beyond when it comes to doing good. Prophet David, for example fasted every other day, only ate what his hands personally caught/prepared, labored as a carpenter, and fought at the front lines against any opposition.

I'm sure there's something like this from a Judaic and Christian standpoint. Point being is a) the biggest danger to us is not violence, but distractions that consume your time/attention from coming nearer to God b) threats to possessing a pure, grateful, revering spiritual heart and a mind of sound judgment

Shalom.

Banned

You're probably right. I'm still going to see this movie though. I plan to become a talmudic scholar when I'm 50 and perhaps a kabbalah by the time I'm 65. But before then, life of sin and freedom. This Islam brainwashing stuff doesn't have an effect on me dude. I appreciate the good intention behind these writeups but you don't need to waste any more time writing them for my benefit. You and me are going down different bends of the river atm

Banned

Pushing through the market square,
    So many mothers sighing
    News had just come over,
    We had five years left to cry in

News guy wept and told us,
    Earth was really dying
    Cried so much his face was wet,
    Then I knew he was not lying

I heard telephones, opera house, favorite melodies
    I saw boys, toys, electric irons and T.V.'s
    My brain hurt like a warehouse, it had no room to spare
    I had to cram so many things to store everything in there
    And all the fat-skinny people, and all the tall-short people
    And all the nobody people, and all the somebody people
    I never thought I'd need so many people

A girl my age went off her head,
    Hit some tiny children
    If the black hadn't a-pulled her off,
    I think she would have killed them

A soldier with a broken arm,
    Fixed his stare to the wheels of a Cadillac
    A cop knelt and kissed the feet of a priest,
    And a queer threw up at the sight of that

I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlor,
    Drinking milk shakes cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine,
    Don't think you knew you were in this song

And it was cold and it rained so I felt like an actor
    And I thought of Ma and I wanted to get back there
    Your face, your race, the way that you talk
    I kiss you, you're beautiful, I want you to walk

We've got five years, stuck on my eyes
    Five years, what a surprise
    We've got five years, my brain hurts a lot
    Five years, that's all we've got

We've got five years, what a surprise
    Five years, stuck on my eyes

We've got five years, stuck on my eyes
    Five years, what a surprise

We've got five years, what a surprise
    Five years, stuck on my eyes

Five years
    Five years
    Five years
    Five years

5-time NBA All-Star

Islam encourages free thought and commands the deep contemplation of nature.

Dignities of humans need to be preserved.

All of humanity will be held accountable for every action and word they utter.

People on the Day of Judgment will be asked how they spent their youth. Nobody wants to go to hell and nobody should block any route of salvation from another brother.
    Last edited by JEFFERSON MONEY; 07-30-2016 at 01:15 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
    Right. A person on ISH informing you of the basic rules and regulations of a way of life is "brainwashing."

Whereas shoving agenda driven anti-Islamic rhetoric down hundreds and thousands of innocent, unsuspecting Insidehoops forum viewers for nearly two years (in cahoots with others) is you exercising your right of freedom of speech in unbiased fashion.

All of humanity will be held accountable for every action and word they utter.
    "Cahoots with others"? I never collaborated or was in "cahoots" with anyone on here to post anything in a choreographed and coordinated effort. I am responsible for my words and my words alone. My words echoed a lot of peoples words who shared my thoughts at that time.

Yes. I was definitely exercising my freedom of speech. My freedom of speech that is protected by the US Constitution and my natural existence as a human being on this planet. There are no blasphemy laws against Islam or any other religion in America and we firmly believe in separation of church and state.

If you are going to remain bitter and hold an eternal grudge against me, I suggest you go do some meditating and scriptural study yourself.