Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: When was the last time CP3 didn't choke in the post-season?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Cheese
    If you dont see how hard he competes on both ends on the floor and say he has no fire in him, you are a flat out hater.

Even Kobe bryant has said that chris paul is one of the few players in the league that share the same competitive fire as him.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...se-chris-paul/
    I think Kobe meant to say Westbrook instead of Rose there.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by sp6r=underrated
    Do posters in this thread actually watch basketball games? He is killing the Spurs in this series. He was by a large margin the best player on the court last night and has made SAS point guards look incompetent at times.

Basketball isn't tennis. Sometimes you can play great and your team still loses.
    He was fantastic in game 1 but i thought last night his numbers overstated his performance. I didn't feel like he imposed his will on the game and he hardly did anything in the 4th and OT or if he did i must've not noticed it because he was doing it quietly.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBe
    you need to stop this weird habit of yours where you go around and say "it doesn't matter if player a continues to fail...he's still top 10 and nothing else can change that."

i might be exaggerating a bit but still the premise is the same. not enough people on these forums hold cp3 accountable for anything no matter the circumstances.

he chokes away a lead to okc? "he was supposed to have lost that series."

he gets swept by the spurs and beaten by the lakers? "he was supposed to lose."

lose to the grizzlies in the first round? "blake and dj got dominated by zach and marc" even though mike conley virtually outplayed him too.

miss a potential game winner yesterday? "it wasn't a choke he just missed a game winner that's all" <---someone legit said this

and then you get ridiculous statements like "best pg since magic" with no wcf appearances or rings.

someone please call it like it is. chris paul isn't the caliber of winner everyone tries to make him out to be. you can be as "competitive" as you want but what's the point if it never leads to anything tangible like a championship?
    Every decade has like 3-5 really great players who will never win a championship. It's not the be all end all. Just enjoy one of the greatest to ever do it.

Not airballing my layups anymore Soultrane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Yearning
    I think Kobe meant to say Westbrook instead of Rose there.
    I think not.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgQAbbsdM9c

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Usually when next to nobody does something...its for good reason. There are people with multiple rings who think Paul is better than they ever were(Isiah Thomas...though I disagree). Real basketball fans dont now and never did need to see something "tangible" like a ring to recognize greatness.

It just makes it easier for know nothing fans and casual observers to explain why they think ____ is great.

Its an easy segment on a sports talk show. Its a simple easily understood point to make in an argument you dont have time to really go deep into.

Most people making the argument places like this make fools of themselves in the process because its just used as paint to cover an argument with no substance.

Its fools gold. Except even fools know fools gold when they see it.

Its more like blind mans gold.

You are just told its gold and you accept it....because it takes too much work for a blind man to prove it isnt.

Almost everything in sports you can "prove" with a number or accolade paints an inaccurate picture. Most just dont care enough to investigate.

I was surprised to see Blake losing the game instead of CP3. He did miss the game-winner but I don't think he choked

Oh and you dudes have been yelling about the time Paul ____ and wondering why nobody cares for years. I'll let you know why nobody cares...

Because they watch basketball enough to have noticed that greatness and failure for a good period of time are not oil and water. They mix. Fairly easily. Doesnt even take much agitation.

You types almost always end up looking like idiots. Go read some of the old newsgroup 80s and 90s posts.

People were saying Isiah Thomas didnt have heart and would never win in like 1987. And that Jordan wouldnt win. And Hakeem. And Shaq. And KG...and Dirk...and Lebron...

Now they say if Durant/Paul/Harden dont _____ now then it proves ____ and ignoring that talk like that makes fools of virtually everyone.

Paul will be great for years to come.

Nothing he does or doesnt do next week will write the book on anything.

How many "This settles it... ____ will never win" topics have to blow up in a jackasses face for people to stop making them?

College superstar

winners don't make excuses.

saying winning doesn't matter, despite the guy in question being a HUGE reason why that is, is a losers mentality. anyone who adopts that kind of mentality has already waived the white flag.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

lol missing a game winner doesn't mean you choked. You make some you miss some...

Shying away from the moment is another thing...that my friend is not CP3. Plays hard on both ends no matter what the situation.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

In what way has he choked this post season?

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    Every decade has like 3-5 really great players who will never win a championship. It's not the be all end all. Just enjoy one of the greatest to ever do it.
    Yeah except CP3 hasn't even come close to winning a championship and probably never will. All those guys like Barkley, Malone, Stockton and Baylor have all been to the finals. I have my doubts about Paul ever getting there.

lol missing a game winner doesn't mean you choked. You make some you miss some...

Shying away from the moment is another thing...that my friend is not CP3. Plays hard on both ends no matter what the situation.
    Everyone but Bill Russell lost more than they won. Meaning even winners tend to lose. But modern fans only remember the greats winning and dont remember the idiots hating when they lost....because the idiot haters are nobodies in history...inaudible under the praise.

A great career...a career of someone who won at an extraordinary rate...is losing 12-15 times and winning twice...often getting lucky enough to have the right opponent injured or other lucky circumstance to get that one or two.

We just happen to be present to see the failures of our current greats. We were not there to make fools of ourselves claiming West would never win in the 60s. No ISH to clown Bird over being sick and getting swept in 83. We would have had 30 topics on Magic dribbling out the clock in the finals in 84. But the failures of past greats are washed away in a river of praise and accomplishment because their careers are seen complete....

Worst case...worst...WORST...

Chris Paul still has a career like Lenny Wilkins with more personal accolades or Tiny Archibald but healthier.

And some will laugh at that...because some dont know a ****ing thing about the history of the game.

There is no way...none...that the next 50 years isnt filled with people arguing if Paul is or is not the #3 point ever after Magic and Oscar.

It may be true..it may not(Id say no). But his ability is too obvious to be hidden under the BS.

The haters now will be of no more significance than Oscar Robertsons...who didnt even have the team success Paul has. Yet Russell... the greatest winner of all time...a guy who will tell you winning is the only thing that ever mattered...ranks Oscar as a player tied for GOAT.

Probably because serious basketball fans know losing doesnt make you individually worse than who won.

They make make "Well...___ has ___ rings" on tv for a simple fan friendly segment. Sit these dudes down...ask about basketball...that shit melts away quickly.

Too many of them lost to people worse than them or won while the other guy kicked their ass to not be painfully aware of it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sp6r=underrated
    Do posters in this thread actually watch basketball games? He is killing the Spurs in this series. He was by a large margin the best player on the court last night and has made SAS point guards look incompetent at times.

Basketball isn't tennis. Sometimes you can play great and your team still loses.
    Parkers been injured and can barely move

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Everyone but Bill Russell lost more than they won. Meaning even winners tend to lose. But modern fans only remember the greats winning and dont remember the idiots hating when they lost....because the idiot haters are nobodies in history...inaudible under the praise.

A great career...a career of someone who won at an extraordinary rate...is losing 12-15 times and winning twice...often getting lucky enough to have the right opponent injured or other lucky circumstance to get that one or two.

We just happen to be present to see the failures of our current greats. We were not there to make fools of ourselves claiming West would never win in the 60s. No ISH to clown Bird over being sick and getting swept in 83. We would have had 30 topics on Magic dribbling out the clock in the finals in 84. But the failures of past greats are washed away in a river of praise and accomplishment because their careers are seen complete....

Worst case...worst...WORST...

Chris Paul still has a career like Lenny Wilkins with more personal accolades or Tiny Archibald but healthier.

And some will laugh at that...because some dont know a ****ing thing about the history of the game.

There is no way...none...that the next 50 years isnt filled with people arguing if Paul is or is not the #3 point ever after Magic and Oscar.

It may be true..it may not(Id say no). But his ability is too obvious to be hidden under the BS.

The haters now will be of no more significance than Oscar Robertsons...who didnt even have the team success Paul has. Yet Russell... the greatest winner of all time...a guy who will tell you winning is the only thing that ever mattered...ranks Oscar as a player tied for GOAT.

Probably because serious basketball fans know losing doesnt make you individually worse than who won.

They make make "Well...___ has ___ rings" on tv for a simple fan friendly segment. Sit these dudes down...ask about basketball...that shit melts away quickly.

Too many of them lost to people worse than them or won while the other guy kicked their ass to not be painfully aware of it.

...he's 29 and isn't even the best point guard in the league at the moment and you want to claim he is top 3 of all time? He's talented and it's stupid calling him a choker (on the teams he has lost with he has been the best player and the main reason they've made it as far as they have) but come on.

Im gonna ask you to read the next line. That said...the guy I usually have at #3 said this:

"There is a lot of similarities in their game, said Mavericks scout Paul Mokeski, who saw the Hornets play several times this season and was a Piston during Thomas' rookie year of 1981-82.

"The way they take it to the basket and finish as a small player. Both know the game ... they make good decisions. When you go to the basket, when you pull up, when to pass to teammates, where to pass to teammates.

"Even moreso in their attitude. It's kind of a touchy situation, coming in as a player and controlling a team and exuding leadership. That comes from what's inside. They were born with it.

Thomas discounts the comparisons of his game to Paul: "I was never that good."
    So there is that on one hand....

And to be fair ive also heard him echo some of the "But where are the rings?" talk thrown around in here about Paul(google Isiah and Paul for some comments he made recently...I expect you to enjoy them). But not in what id call real sit down discussions.

Guys tend to say more of that in brief segments with 2 minutes till commercial.

The in depth talks like say...Bird and Magic in that special talking to Lebron and Melo? Or Walton when Bird turned 50 and he had an hour long talk? Hell even NBA open court.

Real discussions....I dont hear much of that.