Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Now a Cavs fan again

Default Re: What would Larry Bird and Magic average in this Era?

Wouldn't have won anywhere near as much as they did in the 80's. And no way in hell does Bird win 3 straight MVPs. Maybe 1 if he's lucky.

Bird - 24/8/5 on 47-48%

Magic - 19/6/11 on 47-48%

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease JBrizzy's Avatar

ITT Old people who haven't moved on since the mid 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    The league is different now. For example. In 1988, the year Bird avg.30 ppg, the Celtics team he played on took 6905 shots. That was fourth lowest for that year. In 2013, 6905 FGA would place a team third.

Theres no way Bird would be able to get up enough shots to come close to 30 ppg. The same applies to rebounds and assists. And dont forget FTs dont count as a FGA. So a portion of the points off FTs woukd be negated as well

24/8/6 for Bird

17/6/10 for Magic

So you think Bird would average the same number of rebounds as Lebron despite him being a clearly better rebounder? Larry was a 13-16% rebounder on a team with Parish, McHale, and Walton. Lebron is an 11-13% rebounder on a team with Bosh, Anderson, and Wade, yet you think those two players would average the same number of rebounds.

It should be clear that superstar numbers don't rise and fall perfectly with pace.

Sunshine State

Quote Originally Posted by 2010splash
    Wouldn't have won anywhere near as much as they did in the 80's. And no way in hell does Bird win 3 straight MVPs. Maybe 1 if he's lucky.

Bird - 24/8/5 on 47-48%

Magic - 19/6/11 on 47-48%

Thanks I needed a good laugh

magic:21-6-11, 50%fg
    Bird: 27-11-6 52% fg, 41% 3pt%

High School Varsity 6th Man WolfGang's Avatar

Lets stop all this old head bulls**t.

Magic would average 19/4/6
    Bird would be comming off the bench.

Here, I'll post them for you.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

My point is exactly that. Iverson was considered a chucker. Bird wasnt. Iverson taking 25 shots in the early 00s was equivalent to taking probably 28 in the 80s. And mind you that was Birds max.

If Bird took roughly 20 shots in a league that avg about 7100 shots per team, how is he gonna get the same 20 in a league where the avg team takes about 6500?
    Because he would just take more shots?

It's not like he doesn't have the skill with isos, moving without the ball, or post up. I don't think it's that big of an issue if Bird wanted to score. If other players did it in a slower pace league who played with him like Wilkins and Jordan, I don't see why Bird cannot. Bird could average 26-30 ppg if he want to.

The less FGAs would affect the role players, but not the superstars because they are your number 1 option.

Magic would probably average the similar numbers. I don't know if he'll keep his FG%, but he will still have crazy efficiency.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Some People Need To Get Informed On Who Larry Bird Was:

Suggest This:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svHk8Zntc5g

My point is exactly that. Iverson was considered a chucker. Bird wasnt. Iverson taking 25 shots in the early 00s was equivalent to taking probably 28 in the 80s. And mind you that was Birds max.

If Bird took roughly 20 shots in a league that avg about 7100 shots per team, how is he gonna get the same 20 in a league where the avg team takes about 6500?

This league would work better for Bird because he'd get calls and he's one of the best FT shooters.

30 ppg is tough to hit anymore. Still 27/28 is not out of the question.

-Smak

Banned

They wouldn't be able to inflate stats anymore on a superior era. And Magic would announce his real sexuality like my boy Collins.

Teams play at a slower pace today. They'd probably have similar lines to what they did in the 80's if you account for pace.

Bird would probably be competing for a scoring title. I doubt magic would score 20ppg but he could put up around 18-10-6

Jason Kidd averaged 10 ppg, 6 rpg, 9 apg at 36 years old after microfracture surgery so...

and Bird and Magic played on loaded teams for the most part. So that offsets the pace somewhat statistically. Magic's stats went up as the Lakers declined.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Why are people taking into account for pace and completely ignoring the cast Bird and Magic had?

Magic had Kareem who he had to defer to all the time in the half court set from '80-'86, look at Magic's scoring numbers once Kareem started to decline. Bird played with one of the greatest low post players ever in McHale and an all-star in Parish, Bird had to sacrifice as well.

Look at Bird's numbers when McHale went down with an injury during the '86 season, they are insane, he put up 6 triple doubles in a 10 game span, 4 of those triple doubles were 30+ point games. What do you think a peak Bird's numbers would look like today without a dominant post player like McHale?

Local High School Star

bird 40 ppg,12 rpg,9 asts,3 stls
    magic 30ppg 15 rpg,14 asts,2 stls

Quote Originally Posted by DatAsh
    So you think Bird would average the same number of rebounds as Lebron despite him being a clearly better rebounder? Larry was a 13-16% rebounder on a team with Parish, McHale, and Walton. Lebron is an 11-13% rebounder on a team with Bosh, Anderson, and Wade, yet you think those two players would average the same number of rebounds.

It should be clear that superstar numbers don't rise and fall perfectly with pace.
    Im just looking at sheer numbers. It would be hard for a player to score at that rate with less opportunities to do so.

Sure perhaps on a bad team his stats could reach 80s level. But im assuming the whole Celtics squad and Magic and his Lakers squad are in the fray.