Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: The End; a portend: Milo Yiannopoulos Banned from Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by ROCSteady
    What exactly did he say, like verbatim?
    He wrote a review of her movie, and his followers tweeted things at her.

But stuff like this:

and this:

are allowed to stay. As well as Leslie Jones' own racist tweets:

Not airballing my layups anymore Dunaprenti's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bourne
    Remember the Facebook thing where staffers were asked to target conservative news articles to make them less likely to show up in your news feed? Hiding things that interest people doesn't strike me as putting service ahead of ideology.
    Of course, my position will change if pressure from the Government has forced Twitter to do this. For now I don't have reason to believe this though. I do not use Twitter but from what I've seen it is full of SJWs and straight up dumbasses. The Facebook case is totally different and deserves to be in the "1984" category.
    As I said, it is up to people like us to show them the error of their ways. Now is the time for some entrepreneur to give an alternative. People as famous as Milo won't be bothered by bans because it makes them even more popular, they could sustain their own websites.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunaprenti
    Of course, my position will change if pressure from the Government has forced Twitter to do this. For now I don't have reason to believe this though. I do not use Twitter but from what I've seen it is full of SJWs and straight up dumbasses. The Facebook case is totally different and deserves to be in the "1984" category.
    As I said, it is up to people like us to show them the error of their ways. Now is the time for some entrepreneur to give an alternative. People as famous as Milo won't be bothered by bans because it makes them even more popular, they could sustain their own websites.
    Zuckerburg is a super liberal. I would imagine most of his team is as well.

I would imagine the same applies to Twitter.

Suppress the media, and spread your own version of the news. Mass media is the easiest way to manipulate behavior. That's why dictators everywhere on this planet, past and present, use it to control their populations.

NBA Superstar

******ry will not be tolerated

Decent college freshman Duderonomy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masonanddixon
    Huxley already knew this would happen back in 1931.

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    Zuckerburg is a super liberal. I would imagine most of his team is as well.

I would imagine the same applies to Twitter.

Suppress the media, and spread your own version of the news. Mass media is the easiest way to manipulate behavior. That's why dictators everywhere on this planet, past and present, use it to control their populations.
    Maybe he is liberal, I have no idea. What I am sure is that both companies make decisions with financial gains in mind. It is not like Zuckerberg is the only liberal in the world and is trying to turn them conservatives around. Most of the western world is "liberal", Twitter and Facebook are just part of the narrative. Fox News also manipulates, every media around the world spins news in accordance to their editors and CEOs views. It's up to us call them on their bullshit. It is OK if a private company decides to be SJW and a "safe place", I just won't take it seriously.

To me, it doesn't matter if the government was pressuring them to do this (like how Merkel talked to Zuckerberg to suppress anti-immigration posts), since the real authoritarians in North America right now are the left (and to a lesser extent, a contingent on the right). Then most of the media, hollywood, etc etc etc starts to parrot their views as what is morally right, and then people don't want to incur the wrath of those parties and will do things like fire employees who said something wrong, change marketing campaigns, and lobby the government to make certain things punishable (fining christian bakeries).

I see the change in society as a machine, and the more cogs that are allowed to rotate freely, the more steady and strong is the motion. Things like what Twitter has done needs to be shamed, and severely.

The argument about whether Twitter is still a private entity is an interesting one. While I support the right of private businesses to do as they please within the law, Twitter is technically a public company and has some duty toward upholding the values that built our society. But I'm just thinking out loud, not trying to say I would force them to NOT ban people like they have, since it is akin to them expressing their beliefs.

Maybe he is liberal, I have no idea. What I am sure is that both companies make decisions with financial gains in mind. It is not like Zuckerberg is the only liberal in the world and is trying to turn them conservatives around. Most of the western world is "liberal", Twitter and Facebook are just part of the narrative. Fox News also manipulates, every media around the world spins news in accordance to their editors and CEOs views. It's up to us call them on their bullshit. It is OK if a private company decides to be SJW and a "safe place", I just won't take it seriously.
    Spinning news and suppressing news isn't quite the same thing. Everyone spins news, very few places suppress it.

If it was financially sound to fire all the fat people at your office to lower healthcare costs, would you be okay with that too? Of course, you wouldn't fire them for being fat, you'd fire them for performance reasons.

I wonder, if Zuck was a conservative and Facebook was suppressing positive articles on Obama and Clinton, if the country (and you) would have the same reaction.

I doubt it.

If that's the rules, then Trump needs to start throwing money towards news organizations 'charities' in exchange for them writing positive articles and stop reporting on anything negative. You'd have a problem with that, though, I would hope?

Spinning news and suppressing news isn't quite the same thing. Everyone spins news, very few places suppress it.

If it was financially sound to fire all the fat people at your office to lower healthcare costs, would you be okay with that too? Of course, you wouldn't fire them for being fat, you'd fire them for performance reasons.

I wonder, if Zuck was a conservative and Facebook was suppressing positive articles on Obama and Clinton, if the country (and you) would have the same reaction.

I doubt it.

If that's the rules, then Trump needs to start throwing money towards news organizations 'charities' in exchange for them writing positive articles and stop reporting on anything negative. You'd have a problem with that, though, I would hope?
    I don't know if your first statement is accurate. News suppression probably happens frequently. Fox likely doesn't report about all of the puppies Hilary Clinton saved, know what I mean? Breitbart probably doesn't write pieces on stories about the benefits of immigration. (I'm assuming, I could be wrong)

Remember, the stories Cuckerberg was suppressing were already stories - he just wasnt showing them on his platform.

I just don't like how people my age are so stupid and don't realize what is going on. They watch John Oliver, they read anti-conservative propoganda in almost every facet of entertainment or social platforms they engage in, and they truly believe over time that feelings should dictate actions and points of views, and that to consider logic too soon makes you a bigot or otherwise terrible person. What facebook does, what Twitter just did, solidifies this idiocy.

I'm down with HRC

Quote Originally Posted by step_back
    Suspended accounts. Just make new ones. Milo has a permanent ban.
    I think you're just playing with semantics here, but MY was a repeat offender.

I don't know if your first statement is accurate. News suppression probably happens frequently. Fox likely doesn't report about all of the puppies Hilary Clinton saved, know what I mean? Breitbart probably doesn't write pieces on stories about the benefits of immigration. (I'm assuming, I could be wrong)

Remember, the stories Cuckerberg was suppressing were already stories - he just wasnt showing them on his platform.

I just don't like how people my age are so stupid and don't realize what is going on. They watch John Oliver, they read anti-conservative propoganda in almost every facet of entertainment or social platforms they engage in, and they truly believe over time that feelings should dictate actions and points of views, and that to consider logic too soon makes you a bigot or otherwise terrible person. What facebook does, what Twitter just did, solidifies this idiocy.
    The problem is they were not shown in the 'Trending News' category, even though they were, in fact, trending on Facebook according to Facebook's own algorithms.

So the 'Trending News' section wasn't really trending at all; it was 'trending' as long as we approved of the story.

True, but to me that is still choosing what to present and what not to. It isn't like they squashed a story so that it never existed in the first place, or grossly distorted the facts of it

True, but to me that is still choosing what to present and what not to. It isn't like they squashed a story so that it never existed in the first place, or grossly distorted the facts of it
    Obviously they felt pretty bad about it after meeting with several prominent Republican voices, as well as sending their employees to 'non-bias' training courses.

You may not think it's a big deal, but clearly they do.

I doubt it.

I like how you are throwing me into the Obama and Clinton crowd without any reason whatsoever. IF you have read my previous post you will see that I wasn't "OK" with the government demanding information from Facebook. On the other hand I don't really care what a private company does with the platform it has created. Picking on the word "spin" shows your inability to debate properly, but let me paraphrase "Every news outlet spins and suppresses news stories.", arguing which one does it the most and which one I like or don't like is irrelevant.
    One of the reasons Trump is so popular is because of the constant hate he gets from the liberal media.

My personal advice to you is: Don't assume you know what the other person is thinking. If you are curious about my opinion or if you haven't understood a statement I've made - just ask me.

Obviously they felt pretty bad about it after meeting with several prominent Republican voices, as well as sending their employees to 'non-bias' training courses.

You may not think it's a big deal, but clearly they do.
    I just realized I could have my words construed as a defense of facebook - i just violently threw up