Default Dr. Strange Comics (The Ancient One)

The character who would eventually become the Ancient One was born in Kamar-Taj, "a hidden land high in the Himalayans", more than 500 years ago. He spent his youth as a peaceful farmer, until his friend Kaluu discovered the power of magic.When Kaluu shared this knowledge of the mystic arts with the Ancient One, the two disagreed on how they would use the powers. The Ancient One wished to turn their village into a utopia, while Kaluu desired power and conquest over nearby villages.

The Ancient One and Kaluu agreed to cast a spell, eliminating sickness, disease, and age from Kamar-Taj. Subsequently the villagers, under Kaluu's mind-control spell, crown him king of the village. The Ancient One attempts to stop Kaluu, but the village of Kamar-Taj is wiped out as a result of their conflict. As a result, Kaluu is banished to an alternate dimension and the Ancient One is stripped of his immortality. Nonetheless, the Ancient One ages far more slowly than any regular human.

Sometime later, the Black Rider investigates a crime in Texas that eventually leads him to New York City's Chinatown. While there, he receives help from a mysterious Chinese man, who is later revealed to be a younger version of the Ancient One.

Over the next few centuries, the Ancient One travels the Earth, battling demons and evil spirits, banishing many from Earth. He increases his own knowledge, gathering and guarding books that contain dangerous knowledge. He encounters the being, Eternity, through his meditations and the latter gives him the Amulet of Agamotto, a powerful mystical artifact. Then in Babylonia, the Ancient One defeats a griffin while guarding the Book of the Vishanti, a tome of mystical knowledge, that eventually ends up in his possession.

The Ancient One finally settles in the Himalaya Mountains and builds a palace as his home, together with an order of monks that he forms for his own protection and support. In a tournament organized by the sorcerer Aged Genghis, the Ancient One wins the title of Earth's Sorcerer Supreme and subsequently takes on responsibility for a student, who later becomes Mister Jip. The student is then banished from the Ancient One's home when the student is discovered by his master to have been studying forbidden books of black magic to increase his own power.

Default Re: Dr. Strange Comics (The Ancient One)

[QUOTE]In London, during the Great London Fire, the Ancient One battles Dormammu in one of their many conflicts, forcing him to retreat. While the Ancient One successfully protects Earth, he never completely defeats Dormammu, meaning that Dormammu repeatedly returns.

As he ages and weakens, the Ancient One seeks out another student and eventually approaches Anthony Ludgate Druid, a psychiatrist with mystical talents. Posing as the High Lama, the Ancient One trains Druid to become Doctor Druid. Also, Baron Mordo, a Transylvanian nobleman, approaches the Ancient One to inquire about the possibility of becoming his student. The Ancient One sees the corruption within Mordo's heart, but holds hope that redemption would occur following the training process.

The Ancient One accepts Mordo's request and begins teaching Mordo, who seems to change at first, but grows jealous when the Ancient One proceeds to protect a boy named Stephen Strange

Decent college freshman Duderonomy's Avatar

Big Doctor Strange fan here. His origin is one of the best in all of comics. Here is the very rare radio broadcast of his origin Tale. Hopefully more episodes surface

https://youtu.be/-PY1Ur1FnYI

Strange is also a founding member of the Defenders

will listen to later....

but yea... Doctor Strange is a big player in the Illuminati

   

i used to read his comics a long time ago.

the upcoming movie will probably be one of the few superhero movies that i'd be willing to watch, altho not in theaters.

cumberbatch doesn't remind of stephen strange very much, but w/e.

Banned

His movie looks super cool. I like Kirby Dr Strange. Haven't read anything else featuring the character. He is my favorite Marvel character but I don't read much Marvel.

The current run of Dr. Strange is supposed to be the best Strange comics ever made, from what I hear. I will check them out when I get the chance.
    Last edited by Nick Young; 07-24-2016 at 01:04 AM.

   

what is this recent thing with changing a character's gender / ethnicity / etc just for the sake of being different or whatever?

OTOH, i didn't think i'd ever see two of the first four headliners share the first name of "benedict." i bet somebody made some nice money off that one.