Dunking on everybody in the park magictricked's Avatar

Default Summer League Games thread

Minnesota Timberwolves vs. Los Angeles Lakers 8:30 pm ET NBA TV & TWC

Randle will play today then sit out game 2

Default Re: Summer League Games thread

Watched the game as I could

Randle looked good.

Clarkson made it look too easy I think he bulked up some.

Russell looked good too timing with the other players was off but that's to be expected with only a few days of practice with a group you've never played with

Upshaw is a monster the guy is huge I don't know if he'll get a lot of playing time but if you need somebody to knock a few guys around he's your man.

Black looked good also

Back on the floor tonight against the Knicks and the Zinger. Randle will be playing

5:30 pacific same TV as before

So is that it? Only 3 summer league games? Funny how I was able to watch any summer league game I wanted from Orlando to Utah, but as soon as the Lakers start to play I'm hella busy and have no time...whos idea was it to put all of their games over the weekend?

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
    So is that it? Only 3 summer league games? Funny how I was able to watch any summer league game I wanted from Orlando to Utah, but as soon as the Lakers start to play I'm hella busy and have no time...whos idea was it to put all of their games over the weekend?
    still at least two more to go i think

I haven't watched these 3 games, but I saw highlights, been reading articles on it & reading the general boards. Seems like Russell is not playing too well.

Not sure why anyone was expecting him to instantly become a star first game in like he was in college. I have been telling people for years that college basketball means nothing once you enter the NBA. In the NBA, you go up against the best of the best of NCAA & global competition. Even the scrub Kwame Brown would average 25-11-3 with 2.5 blocks in NCAA if he were to go play in NCAA in 2008.

It will take time. PGs usually take the longest to develop anyways. Maybe next summer is when Russell starts to play great with 1 year of NBA experience under his belt. Until then, we gotta give him benefit of the doubt.

Too many idiots on the general boards insinuate that Lakers made a mistake by taking Russell over Okafor. Okafor is a center - he will develop very quickly offensively as he doesn't have to be the one to run the offense. Plus he is dealing with a position with VERY little depth around the NBA -- might be 2 great centers around the NBA (Cousins, Marc Gasol), maybe 5 other good centers.. That's it! PG is deepest it has ever been and is definitely the most important position in basketball.

^ Mike Trudell has a good article on it all. I agree Bladefd not sure what people expected this early

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/15071...rknicks?cid=tw

Damn I got neg bombed by some fool. Went from 1400+ to -80 something in a few minutes this morning

Round 1 of the tournament starts today Lakers vs Dallas 5:30

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by magictricked
    ^ Mike Trudell has a good article on it all. I agree Bladefd not sure what people expected this early

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/15071...rknicks?cid=tw

Damn I got neg bombed by some fool. Went from 1400+ to -80 something in a few minutes this morning
    Lakers family will get you back up

I post-up midgets magic chiongson's Avatar

i'm not really concerned about about russell right now, most of his mistakes are that of a rookie trying to adjust. i'm more worried about randle's effort(or lack of) on defense and boxing out.

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    Lakers family will get you back up
    sure will
    Last edited by magic chiongson; 07-16-2015 at 04:42 PM.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by magic chiongson
    i'm not really concerned about about russell right now, most of his mistakes are that of a rookie trying to adjust. i'm more worried about randle's effort(or lack of) on defense and boxing out.

sure will
    I'm not worried about either to be honest.. Randle's been out for a year away from the game his timing is going to be off, he did get to the rim the shot's just didn't drop but that will come back. His defense he looked more like he was avoiding contact which I'm sure was something the trainers wanted him to do. have to remember he was only cleared for 5 on 5 practice a few days before the summer league program began.

Russell made plenty of mistakes but his teammates didn't help by shooting piss poor, obviously being a passing pg requires a certain level of chemistry you're not going to build up in 3.5 days of practice with strangers...

quite a few of those missed shots become assists when the shots drop and a lot of those turnovers disappear when his teammates catch those passes. Like I said Russell made a lot of mistakes but a lot of those will smooth out when he's practicing everyday with guys who have a better feel/knowledge for the game..

guarantee you Kobe isn't cutting to the rim and not looking for the ball and guys like black and randle will be looking for it from now on

I liked his defense he's fiesty and stays with it and he's not afraid to get in the paint and fight for rebounds

Also liked the coaches decided to go with trying to play a system instead of the iso ball most the teams play in SL. ISO ball would probably get you more wins vs a system that requires practice time to really work but I think the guys now have a better grasp of what will be expected of them come training camp

really glad they came out of it healthy

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Lakers91's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    I haven't watched these 3 games, but I saw highlights, been reading articles on it & reading the general boards. Seems like Russell is not playing too well.

Not sure why anyone was expecting him to instantly become a star first game in like he was in college. I have been telling people for years that college basketball means nothing once you enter the NBA. In the NBA, you go up against the best of the best of NCAA & global competition. Even the scrub Kwame Brown would average 25-11-3 with 2.5 blocks in NCAA if he were to go play in NCAA in 2008.

It will take time. PGs usually take the longest to develop anyways. Maybe next summer is when Russell starts to play great with 1 year of NBA experience under his belt. Until then, we gotta give him benefit of the doubt.

Too many idiots on the general boards insinuate that Lakers made a mistake by taking Russell over Okafor. Okafor is a center - he will develop very quickly offensively as he doesn't have to be the one to run the offense. Plus he is dealing with a position with VERY little depth around the NBA -- might be 2 great centers around the NBA (Cousins, Marc Gasol), maybe 5 other good centers.. That's it! PG is deepest it has ever been and is definitely the most important position in basketball.
    First summer league I've watched in awhile kind of had a reason to but didn't really miss much . He's playing more off ball from when I watched, Clarkson was more the Point and Russell more the shooting guard/off ball, for some part he was passing passes that his teammates weren't ready for or didn't think to go to, Russell seemed to be passing to the spot he wanted them to go to and his teammates didn't realise, which is a chemistry and experience thing, with good chemistry and decent ball IQ players it'll be good to watch, some turnovers looked bad but some you could see what he was trying to do.

To be honest it may be stating the obvious but whoever was picked was going to need time, Randle should be included minus 14 minutes he's basically a rookie.

Though I must admit I'm surprised by the third paragraph given I've heard ad nauseum in years gone by that "big men take longer to develop" when really it's just person/skillset dependent imo .To say Okafor doesn't have to run the offense not in a traditional way no he's not running and passing but as of right now he's the main offensive threat or is going to be designed to be, given Philadelphia at this stage minus Canaan don't really have a point and he can't carry the load anyway as a floor general though not bad he's not a floor general, maybe Ish Smith again not bad but not a great point guard decent; Noel who's limited offensively or at least in contrast to Okafor, Wroten if he starts at shooting guard who struggles shooting and probably Convington that's similar, so while I can agree with some. Not intended to sound aggressive maybe I misinterpreted but I disagree if you literally meant Okafor will take less time because he won't have to do or learn as much, right away he will have more to do and learn because he's going to be depended on more.

They are different players with different skillsets and will take time, Okafor for his defense and Russell largely because he isn't going to rely on athleticism like other point guards, it'll be more craft and skill (like Nash had to really or somewhat Curry) he's not slow or a bad athlete but he doesn't have the speed nor athleticism to rely on that alone which to my knowledge was well documented it was his shooting and passing not his athleticism that were highly rated. It'll be an adjustment as it is for most rookies, nothing really to go labeling bust or superstar over yet, give it a year or two then maybe.
    Last edited by Lakers91; 07-17-2015 at 10:48 AM.

shhhhhhh

^ agree with the big men take longer to develop than others myth in fact if you look at the PER for player during his first few years (one of the only legit uses for PER) you'll see traditional style big men that play the paint reach their peak PER faster than PGs do

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers91
    Though I must admit I'm surprised by the third paragraph given I've heard ad nauseum in years gone by that "big men take longer to develop" when really it's just person/skillset dependent imo .To say Okafor doesn't have to run the offense not in a traditional way no he's not running and passing but as of right now he's the main offensive threat or is going to be designed to be, given Philadelphia at this stage minus Canaan don't really have a point and he can't carry the load anyway as a floor general though not bad he's not a floor general, maybe Ish Smith again not bad but not a great point guard decent; Noel who's limited offensively or at least in contrast to Okafor, Wroten if he starts at shooting guard who struggles shooting and probably Convington that's similar, so while I can agree with some. Not intended to sound aggressive maybe I misinterpreted but I disagree if you literally meant Okafor will take less time because he won't have to do or learn as much, right away he will have more to do and learn because he's going to be depended on more.
    All I meant is a center isn't usually the one to run the system like a PG. PG is like the quarterback in football - the most important position to set everybody else up.

Due to that, centers can focus on their own skillset more so than a PG as the PG is the floor general. In order for PG to succeed, he must make those around him better. His success is judged by the success of those around him - "Help me help you". The exception are the scoring PGs like Allen Iverson and Derrick Rose. Once in a while, you also get centers like Hakeem Olajuwon and Duncan that don't need great PGs because they can set everyone else up or they can be like Shaq & be godlike even against triple-teams - this is very rare though.

Of course, a quarterback will not succeed without a wide-receiver or tight-end to spread the field. A PG will need a sharpshooter or 2 and someone with halfway decent paint skills; you can get away with it to some degree though. VERY rarely will a team succeed without a very good quarterback or very good PG though.

On impact alone, I will say a PG ranks #1 on average out of the 5 positions. Center is #2. The other 3 positions blend & mash together depending on strengths and skillsets. Traditionally, the center is concerned with rim protection in the paint protecting the highest efficiency region (with the highest percentage shot) while PG is the floor general & leader of the squad.
    Last edited by bladefd; 07-17-2015 at 02:37 PM.