Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: More beloved Laker: Shaq or Kobe?

[COLOR=Teal]Right now Kobe for obvious reasons. But,[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    [COLOR=Gray]At the height of their games, Shaq.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Teal]
    I have to agree with this. During the threepeat years, esp after winning his 1st title, Shaq truly could do no wrong. In addition to bringing in titles after such a looong drought, he knew how to work the crowd, his outgoing, larger-than-life personality, the parades, his dissing their hated rivals, the "Sacramento Queens." There's no question in my mind he was more beloved at that point than Kobe -as revered as he has been- ever was at any point in his career. But, that kinda love is in the past and is no more. He's still respected by most Laker fans, and that's good enough for a player of his stature.
    [/COLOR]

College star

Just giving my opinion. 2000 and 2001 Shaq was as beloved an athlete as any (in LA) before and since.
    Hmm while you're right about that, I think Lakers fans gravitate towards Kobe more in totality, as he never left LA (despite his attempt).

You know, I was watching Shaq diarrhea all over the Pacers in Game 6 of the 2000 Finals the other day, and watched as the DJ played the Superman theme song for him as he was getting up from a hard ass foul (in which he made the basket on), and seeing all the fans stand in unison and applaud Diesel.

And I found myself saying......no ****ing wonder Shaq gets pissed at mother****ers calling Dwight, Superman. This guy Shaq, as lazy as he was, was Wilt'ing on the entire league en route to a rare ass three-peat, and Dwight puts on a cape and wins a couple dunk contests and suddenly he's Superman?

I'd say **** outta here too

The guy who isn't a rapist. Derek Fisher.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Kobe and it has always been,even during the 3 peat days.

Before that first title there were murmurings of trading Kobe for Kidd or Vince Carter, but since that first title Kobe's always been our guy. Shaq was the guy for the casual fans or the national TV crowd, but Laker fans always sided with Kobe during the feud.

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    The guy who isn't a rapist. Derek Fisher.
    He was hated, couldn't guard anyone and couldn't hit a shot except for that one playoff run, and 0.4.

Big shot rob on the other hand

@sbw19 - spot on

Quote Originally Posted by clutchinho
    Kobe and it has always been,even during the 3 peat days.

Before that first title there were murmurings of trading Kobe for Kidd or Vince Carter, but since that first Kobe's always been our guy. Shaq was the guy for the casual fans or the national TV crowd, but Laker fans always sided with Kobe during the feud.
    ^some idiot that probably isn't even from LA, nevermind the states..

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVVaves
    Hmm while you're right about that, I think Lakers fans gravitate towards Kobe more in totality, as he never left LA (despite his attempt).

You know, I was watching Shaq diarrhea all over the Pacers in Game 6 of the 2000 Finals the other day, and watched as the DJ played the Superman theme song for him as he was getting up from a hard ass foul (in which he made the basket on), and seeing all the fans stand in unison and applaud Diesel.

And I found myself saying......no ****ing wonder Shaq gets pissed at mother****ers calling Dwight, Superman. This guy Shaq, as lazy as he was, was Wilt'ing on the entire league en route to a rare ass three-peat, and Dwight puts on a cape and wins a couple dunk contests and suddenly he's Superman?

In his peak, save for maybe MJ, dude was the best player I've ever seen. Peak Shaq is 'devastation' in websters dictionary.

Dwight? Guy is sorta like bizzaro; assumes the superman role, but we all know he's a big dope.

True Laker fans loved Derek Fisher more than both of those primadonnas.

In his peak, save for maybe MJ, dude was the best player I've ever seen. Peak Shaq is 'devastation' in websters dictionary.

Dwight? Guy is sorta like bizzaro; assumes the superman role, but we all know he's a big dope.
    You must be easily impressed by car chases and loud explosions

Shaq as a Laker was a perennial disappointment whose specialty was getting swept out the playoffs, every, single, season, until he and Kobe took the next step in the 2000 season and won that title. If you think Shaq was on MJ's level you're delusional, he was dominant on offense, but he was also a lazy defender with major holes in his game.

Agreed on Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe
    True Laker fans loved Derek Fisher more than both of those primadonnas.
    Yea who cares about winning or basketball, let's rather speculate on the personal lives and personalities of people on TV who we don't even know like the TMZ crowd.

If that was an intended underhanded shot at Laker fans then I take everything I said back.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by clutchinho
    You must be easily impressed by car chases and loud explosions

Shaq as a Laker was a perennial disappointment whose specialty was getting swept out the playoffs, every, single, season, until he and Kobe took the next step in the 2000 season and won that title. If you think Shaq was on MJ's level you're delusional, he was dominant on offense, but he was also a lazy defender with major holes in his game.

Agreed on Dwight
    This gotta be a reverse troll account.

Gotta be.

This gotta be a reverse troll account.

Gotta be.
    Which part of what I typed isn't fact

Lazy defender? Shaq will tell you himself
    Playoff sweeps? Written in the history books though doubt you're old enough to remember
    Major holes in his game? We gonna pretend free throw shooting is no longer part of basketball?

Shaq is an all-time legend, but you start comparing him to the GOAT he's gotta have his shortcomings picked apart like anyone else in that discussion.

I don't think Shaq is as lazy as he is emo.

Dunno why people call Shaq lazy. He had a lot of natural talent, but I don't believe he could have been as good as he was without a lot of hard work.

I dunno if you can say a dude is lazy, again, after he puts in 10 good years of domination.

Plus he would routinely get re-energized and play above his capabilities even when he became less and less able to dominate.

I think, as I have said before, Shaq is more of a normal guy... than people like MJ. Kobe isn't even like MJ because he will toy with a team. Dudes like Shaq (who achieved plenty, let's not act like he didn't) are not motivated the same way that others are.

Would you keep working as hard as you did after winning multiple rings? I wouldn't. I don't know how many people can even grasp that situation. If you are by far the best... why work hard? Serious question.

But as I said, I think a lot of his being out of shape was just being emo... it was his way of passive aggressively getting back at Kobe/Lakers management when he was mad.

-Smak

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

^Wtf are you talking about?

It's well known around the league that Shaq played himself into shape every year.

Even before 04 this was true.

Shaq always played like shit in early parts of the season.

Shaq was a giant amongst ants at the highest level. No one could stop him because he was such a dominant force. If he were to come into the league each year in shape, they would have shut the damn league down. How would that even be fair? There were already complaints that someone that big and dominant shouldn't even be allowed to play.

They had to CHANGE NBA RULES because of this guy.

Doesn't matter if he was a laker his whole career, because when he was, he was the greatest sight that Jack Nicolas ever laid his eyes on.