Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: The legend of Bob Cousy

Here's a video from 1993 featuring Allen Iverson vs Kevin Garnett in a high school All-Star Game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJa7z6ru7kU

Read the comments. Someone wrote: "[The] competition is a little more difficult 20 years later I would say"

Yet more proof of what Larry Bird said back at the peak of his playing career ("All I know is that people tend to forget how great the older great players were. It'll happen that way with me, too.")

It's only been a few years since Iverson and Garnett were dominating the league (or, in this case, high school), and already people are suggesting the level of talent is better these days.

Like I said before, it'll only be a matter of time before kids look back at highlights of Kevin Durant and LeBron James and say "the competition is a little more difficult 20 years later I would say".

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    I'm going to continue my rant...

TheMan, you called Bob Cousy a "scrub" and "garbage".

IncarceratedBob, you criticised Cousy's dribbling.

ArbitraryWater, you said you're not impressed by Cousy.

So let's get this straight. Before the Beatles, before rock and roll, before JFK was assassinated, before Martin Luther King had a dream, before colour TV took off, before they put a man on the moon.... a guy who grew up in the Great Depression was making fools of defenders, throwing no-look passes and winning multiple championships as the most creative and innovative basketball player the world had ever seen.

But no, you guys aren't impressed.

He lacked LeBron's athleticism. He didn't have Iverson's dribbling skills. He didn't dunk like Kobe.

What Cousy did, though, was completely change the game of basketball. Without him - and other innovators like Luisetti, Davies, Fulks, Baylor and Maravich - the game wouldn't be how it is today.

So, go ahead, shit all over the history of the game, post silly GIFs of Cousy dribbling one-handed and have a good laugh about the pioneers of the game. Go on, get it out of your system - impress your online buddies and make yourself look cool while you hide behind your computer pretending you're from the ghetto when you're actually at home in your bedroom while your Mom cooks you dinner.

Then grow up and realise that you are a fvcking imbecile with zero respect for history.

As Larry Bird once said: "All I know is that people tend to forget how great the older great players were. It'll happen that way with me, too."

And Kobe Bryant. And LeBron James. And Kevin Durant.

And then, maybe then, TheMan/IncarceratedBob/ArbitraryWater, you'll realise what a prick you once were.
    Damn.........

The Man, I'm usually with you on your Jordan stuff but you're getting absolutely destroyed in this thread...

And how ironic of you to make a thread like this when young fans today do the EXACT same thing to MJ that you are doing to the history of the game in this thread. What do you think they'll be saying about MJ in 50 years? He'll be dead and people will act like he wasn't the GOAT, just like people are doing now. Some guy named Thadius McFurgalbuster will be getting praised as GOAT...

Good college starter

OP got absolutely exposed in this thread

Banned

So let's get this straight. Before the Beatles, before rock and roll, before JFK was assassinated, before Martin Luther King had a dream, before colour TV took off, before they put a man on the moon.... a guy who grew up in the Great Depression was making fools of defenders, throwing no-look passes and winning multiple championships as the most creative and innovative basketball player the world had ever seen.

He lacked LeBron's athleticism. He didn't have Iverson's dribbling skills. He didn't dunk like Kobe.

What Cousy did, though, was completely change the game of basketball. Without him - and other innovators like Luisetti, Davies, Fulks, Baylor and Maravich - the game wouldn't be how it is today.

So, go ahead, shit all over the history of the game, post silly GIFs of Cousy dribbling one-handed and have a good laugh about the pioneers of the game. Go on, get it out of your system - impress your online buddies and make yourself look cool while you hide behind your computer pretending you're from the ghetto when you're actually at home in your bedroom while your Mom cooks you dinner.

Then grow up and realise that you are a fvcking imbecile with zero respect for history.

As Larry Bird once said: "All I know is that people tend to forget how great the older great players were. It'll happen that way with me, too."

And then, maybe then, TheMan/IncarceratedBob/ArbitraryWater, you'll realise what a prick you once were.

One of the worst chuckers in NBA history

averaged 17 ppg on 33,4% shooting in the Playoffs with Russell

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    One of the worst chuckers in NBA history

averaged 17 ppg on 33,4% shooting in the Playoffs with Russell
    It really hurt his team.

He was a loser before Russell and a loser with Russell.

He did nothing for the game of basketball.

Let's talk about Russell Westbrook instead. Much more important player.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    YouTube Bob Cousy and tell me what you think he'd do today. This scrub was considered "great" in Russell's era. Goes to show the garbage the way overrated Mr. Russell faced. A one handed chest high dribbling goofball is called the Houdini of the Hardwood

Gary Payton would have dat scrub crying all night and in a fetal position.

Anyone disagree?
    You're just an amazing idiot.

Cousy was born in 1928. How many games of basketball did he get to watch on TV before he started his NBA career? How many great coaches did he get to work with in grade school? How many basketball camps existed?

He was doing stuff that was never done before and influenced the whole game. This is how things work. How progress happens. Kobe grew up watching Jordan who grew up watching Dr. J. and practicing his moves you think that didn't influence him? Who did Bob Cousy get to pattern his moves after when he 10 years old? His neighbors.

The game advances by pioneers like Cousy influencing the next generation of players and, importantly, coaches. Some of the stuff Cousy pioneered, became the everyday, building blocks of basketball, somethings my grade school coaches would teach me to practice.

Also, it shows your ignorance to say Cousy couldn't use his left hand. He known for being the pioneering ambidextrous player.

Without Cousy there is no Stockton, Nash, Kidd, Rondo, HArdaway or any of the great PG's we had these last 60 years.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    You're just an amazing idiot.

Cousy was born in 1928. How many games of basketball did he get to watch on TV before he started his NBA career? How many great coaches did he get to work with in grade school? How many basketball camps existed?

He was doing stuff that was never done before and influenced the whole game. This is how things work. How progress happens. Kobe grew up watching Jordan who grew up watching Dr. J. and practicing his moves you think that didn't influence him? Who did Bob Cousy get to pattern his moves after when he 10 years old? His neighbors.

The game advances by pioneers like Cousy influencing the next generation of players and, importantly, coaches. Some of the stuff Cousy pioneered, became the everyday, building blocks of basketball, somethings my grade school coaches would teach me to practice.

Also, it shows your ignorance to say Cousy couldn't use his left hand. He known for being the pioneering ambidextrous player.
    This thread should be stickied for anybody who disrespects the pioneers of the game....This is something you would need to explain to posters with no knowledge but I didn't expect the OP to fall into this category....Blatantly ignoring modern technology, basketball camps, tons of competition, different leagues to compete in, top notch college basketball programs, all advantages current players have...

How many times on ISH have I read that Larry Bird couldn't play today because he's too earthbound?
    Somebody had a great quote on this the other day. I think it was KBlaze.

They were saying that Bird wouldn't be able to play today because the other players are more athletic and the quote was

The other players were more athletic back then too. What's your point.

In one of Bird's books he mentions that that didn't start in the NBA, lots of folks could jump better than he did in high school, it wasn't like the NBA was a big shock to him.

To me, he was sort of like Nash without the J.. Of course before Steve or anybody else for that matter, this dude was the 1st to really take use of the flashy passing and creativeness to produce great results.. there were few before him, others in his day, many after but I'd call him the 1st one in terms of all that, to high level.

It really hurt his team.

He was a loser before Russell and a loser with Russell.

He did nothing for the game of basketball.

Let's talk about Russell Westbrook instead. Much more important player.

weak era

what did he do without Bill? Didn't he have a Playoff series, where he shot 21% while taking 21 shots a game?