Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Most skilled big man ever?

One last note on McHale. Everybody talks about that mythical 50/40/90 benchmark, where a player shoots 50 percent from the field, 40 from three, and 90 from the line. There are only five or six guys who have ever done that. Well, there's only one person in NBA history who has ever shot 60 percent from the field and 80 percent from the line. It was McHale, and he did it twice (in '87 and '88).
    Honestly, I think McHale was the most skilled ever. Yes, even more than Hakeem. Hakeem was the better player, but he was more athletic and stronger.

Hakeem's dream shake and post moves are incredible, but I honestly think McHale just outclasses him, period. Kareem too (I rank Kareem below Hakeem in terms of skill).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdtgUOiWHJg

:48, 1:20-1:27, 1:45, 2:08 .... the dude is doing double fakes/shakes, spins, finger rolls, turnaround J, scoops, hooks, hesitations, step-throughs, reverses, "blind" shots (looking and stepping away from the hoop), just damn this guy was the ultimate skilled bigman, at least in terms of scoring.

The guy averaged 26/10 with 2 blocks on 60% FG and 84%FT one year... not to mention his averages are actually the EXACT same (except .5 less points) for the playoffs that year. 26ppg on 60%... more impressively 25ppg on 60% for the whole playoffs... only player to have averaged >25ppg on 60%.

Incredible.
    Last edited by oarabbus; 03-03-2014 at 05:13 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aboss4real24
    What does posting a photo of yourself achieve?

Quote Originally Posted by Trentknicks

The font... the phone... it makes sense now

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    Honestly, I think McHale was the most skilled ever. Yes, even more than Hakeem. Hakeem was the better player, but he was more athletic and stronger.

Hakeem's dream shake and post moves are incredible, but I honestly think McHale just outclasses him, period. Kareem too (I rank Kareem below Hakeem in terms of skill).

:48, 1:20-1:27, 1:45, 2:08 .... the dude is doing double fakes/shakes, spins, finger rolls, turnaround J, scoops, hooks, hesitations, step-throughs, reverses, "blind" shots (looking and stepping away from the hoop), just damn this guy was the ultimate skilled bigman, at least in terms of scoring.

The guy averaged 26/10 with 2 blocks on 60% FG and 84%FT one year... not to mention his averages are actually the EXACT same (except .5 less points) for the playoffs that year. 26ppg on 60%... more impressively 25ppg on 60% for the whole playoffs... only player to have averaged >25ppg on 60%.

Incredible.
    McHale was incredible that's why it's so tough for me to rank.

He was diverse; he could go in either direction and finish with either hand. Drop-step, spin, step-through, turnaround, he liked to shake into the lane for a fadeaway, which was very effective because of his ridiculously long arms and soft touch.

But for me im still going to go with Hakeem. The main reason is because he didn't work against nearly as much single coverage as Kevin. McHale was very, very skilled and his ability to get off a really reliable look in isolation was among the best ever, but I feel Hakeem was a better scoring threat and was more skilled. Some of it can be attributed to more separation because of his athleticism, some of it is that Hakeem had more reliable face-up game that opened up his scoring zones some to the mid and high post more effectively, and also it was because that he was better at the second counter move. But I guess as you said Hakeem did have the advantage in athleticism and strength so it definitely helped him...
    Idk it's still really tough for me

Still, IMO Hakeem is the more skilled post player. But you may certainly be right, I feel both have great cases, not gonna complain if u stick with McHale

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

no mention of Wilt just shows how little people know here.

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    I mentioned him in the OP unless that was directed to other posters

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    this
    this guy shits on every other big men in the skill department.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus

Incredible.
    yet lets his player chuck the ball like mad fcks and has a 3 pt shooting fetish.
    oh did i mention hes the worst coach ever

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    while Wilt was definetly super skilled i think arvydays was more skilled easily.
    Wilt comes next because of his insane agilty and versatility. then hakeem and kareem

Its between Dream and KG IMO, they have all the skills on both sides of the court. Dream might lag in passing/court vision area, but he excels at everything else.

Offensively Sabonis has a good case as the most skilled big ever, but we have to include defense too, and Sabas wasnt as great there as Dream, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    Its between Dream and KG IMO, they have all the skills on both sides of the court. Dream might lag in passing/court vision area, but he excels at everything else.

Offensively Sabonis has a good case as the most skilled big ever, but we have to include defense too, and Sabas wasnt as great there as Dream, etc.
    I agree about KG when looking at both ends of the court, but I was mainly trying to focus on post skills. Probably should've made it clearer in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlo_Stanfield
    yet lets his player chuck the ball like mad fcks and has a 3 pt shooting fetish.
    oh did i mention hes the worst coach ever

Great player, garbage coach

Kevin love making his case for top-10
    on pace to hit the most 3's ever in a season for a big man

Quote Originally Posted by Trentknicks
    [COLOR="Magenta"]thats 1 of my bit ches[/COLOR]

Sabonis, it's not close.