Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Most skilled big man ever in the post?

Im certainly open to changing my list if you think im wrong.

Mainly just about skills in the post, but it can include overall skills aswell which is why i found it tough to rank them.

My top 4 would look like (probably in this order) -

1.Hakeem
    2.Kareem
    3.McHale
    4.Duncan

Hakeem:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22O2lApCBBs

He was very atheltic for a big man, which gave him an great advantage over almost everyone he went up against. Hakeem had the skills to post up any player in the league. If he got the ball down low, he was getting u 2 points. He would spin around you and then finish with a simple hook or gentle finger roll. Another part of his game that gave him great success, was his fade away jumper. He had the length to shoot over anyone, and his length combined with his athleticism helped him to get those shots off. And because of this he gave himself a lot of room between him and his defender.

Kareem:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayAz8EpuNUM

His numbers speak for themselves, leading scorer of all time, has the most unstoppable shot in the history of the game. His skill level helped him to have the most impressive longevity of any player ever. He scored within the team concept, on insane efficiency and had a terrific arsenal of moves to score as the video above shows. And yet, some people still think he was all sky hook.

Kevin McHale:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXFIngeh6NY

McHale at 6'10, with that huge wingspan, scoring skillset, and defensive versatility was incredible. There was no wonder Ainge called him the black hole, because when ever he got the ball in the post, that was it, it wasn't coming back out. He had great balance to do what he did, and there are very few people who can be taught to gather themselves fluidly after keeping the ball so high. His use of dips and finger rolls require a great touch as well.

Tim Duncan:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QURRXrYQ9yI

Similarly to McHale, Tim Duncan wasn't the strongest, fastest or most athletic playeron the court, but his amazing footwork for a man his size helped him to succeed. Duncan also has great length so that gives him a great advantage on both the offensive and defensive end. He's got at least one counter off of each move, he commands the mid-post as well as the low post and he is a great passer. One of my favourite parts of Duncan's game is his bank and hook shots, which are very hard to stop and are skills that are rarely seen in the NBA nowadays.

Some other guys that I think could be in the discussion (among the best) are:

Wilt (I don't think ive seen enough footage of him, but from what I have seen he had a 15-foot fade, the finger roll, and some solid footwork, but the thing that really stood out about Wilt was his passing from the low post)

Garnett (Garnett's low/mid post skills aren't that varied. Great turnaround fade and a turn-in jumper and some basic post fundamentals. He thrives as a passer in the high post and is a great perimeter shooter, runs a great pick-and-roll and is a good ball-handler)

Dirk (He's definitely one of the best mid-post scorers I've seen. His rainbow jumper, wrong-footed turnaround and the other stuff he does makes him essentially unguardable when he's posting up)

And from what ive researched Walton probably deserves a mention aswell. Of course there are other players too.

tldr...
    Who do you think is the most skilled big man ever?
    Last edited by Warfan; 03-03-2014 at 10:07 AM.

Default Re: Most skilled big man ever?

KG has to be #5

High School Varsity 6th Man Dr. Ice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    And just like that, the thread is over

Banned

Hakeem for me

Walton and KG deserve a mention probably Cwebb as well

National High School Star Rodmantheman's Avatar

Yao would have been one if he had stayed healthy.

JaVale McGee

Dragic=GOAT, kobe=beta

Hakeem.

Banned

KG was as skilled as anyone, all things considered. He's top 3, at absolute worst. How many can claim to be as good as him in so many different aspects of the game?

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

No love for Willis Reed? Offensively, he was pretty smooth from what I watched.

I don't know if he'll make a top 5 or a top tier on anyone list, but I think he deserves a mention. Some solid footwork, take it inside or out (good jumper), and not bad off the dribble for a big men.

Local High School Star Combat Wombat's Avatar

Easily Hakeem. Then Kareem although I wouldn't slam anyone for putting McHale before him because his post work was a thing of beauty to watch.

Dragic=GOAT, kobe=beta

Quote Originally Posted by Combat Wombat
    Easily Hakeem. Then Kareem although I wouldn't slam anyone for putting McHale before him because his post work was a thing of beauty to watch.
    Kareem only had his sky hook. Not skills, just muscle memory.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelCorleone
    Kareem only had his sky hook. Not skills, just muscle memory.
    Kill yourself.

Dragic=GOAT, kobe=beta

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew
    Kill yourself.
    The sky hook relies on muscle memory more than skills. Sure it's a finesse move, but it never changes unlike the dream shake.