Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I usually hit open layups

Default Re: 09 Lebron vs 03 Kobe bryant

Quote Originally Posted by PJR
    The guy who was wining 66 games with a core of Mo Williams, Delonte West, Big Z, and Varejao
    Did you check the competition in the East? Thought so. The East has been by far the weakest conference during Lebron's entire career. In 2008-09 you had basically three good teams in the East; the Cavs, Magic and Celtics. The rest was garbage. Look at the rest of East teams that qualified for the Playoffs that year: Hawks (47-35), Heat (43-39), 76ers (41-41), Bulls (41-41) and the Pistons (39-43). Meanwhile in the West, the Jazz grabbed the 8th seed with a 48-34 record. Big ****ing difference.

As for the 2003 season, the East had only one 50 win team, while the West had six teams registering 50 or more wins.

Kobe has been battling against superior competition his entire career, while Lebron has been facing average and poor teams far more often than Kobe has. This shit matters.

Now as for who I'd take between the two of them from these specific years, it's a really tough choice. Lebron had a epic year and his numbers are better overall, but I'd actually take Kobe, as his ability and ceiling was higher. Better scorer, better defender, although Lebron was a better rebounder and playmaker. Two epic seasons, it's tough to choose.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by havoc33
    Did you check the competition in the East? Thought so. The East has been by far the weakest conference during Lebron's entire career. In 2008-09 you had basically three good teams in the East; the Cavs, Magic and Celtics. The rest was garbage. Look at the rest of East teams that qualified for the Playoffs that year: Hawks (47-35), Heat (43-39), 76ers (41-41), Bulls (41-41) and the Pistons (39-43). Meanwhile in the West, the Jazz grabbed the 8th seed with a 48-34 record. Big ****ing difference.

Lebron has a better win % vs the West than Kobe did vs the East that year Lebron himself had a better win % vs the West than he did vs the East

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopz2332
    Lebron has a better win % vs the West than Kobe did vs the East that year Lebron himself had a better win % vs the West than he did vs the East
    Yes, I'm actually aware that the Cavs performed well against the West that year. IMO it still matters if you play the majority of your games against quality competition, or if you're actually playing sub.500 teams the whole team. No question which team is the most fresh throughout the season.

Great college starter

Yes, I'm actually aware that the Cavs performed well against the West that year. IMO it still matters if you play the majority of your games against quality competition, or if you're actually playing sub.500 teams the whole team. No question which team is the most fresh throughout the season.

Eastern teams even when they have a poor overall record they play a more grindingout/beat um up style than Western teams who play a more wide open/free flowing style where their is less physicality. This is why KObe finals shooting numbers were for the most part lower than his Western Conf playoff numbers.
    Last edited by Hoopz2332; 10-15-2013 at 06:39 AM.

Lebron and his teams generally have more success against the weak, no-defense West.

If some of his best RS teams played in that conference, 72 wins would've already been broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopz2332
    Eastern teams even when they have apoor overall record play a more grindingout/beat um up style than Western teams who play a more wide open/free flowing style where their is less physicality. This is why KObe finals shooting numbers were for the most part lower than his Western Conf playoff numbers.
    If you would say that about the NBA in the 90s, I would agree with you. But I wouldn't say there were many quality, tough nosed teams in the East in the 2000s. Kobe happened to face the only two that really existed (04 Pistons, 08/10 Celtics), in three different Finals series, no less. The Celtics of 08 are probably one of the best defensive teams I have ever seen.

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    Who was better?
    09 LeBron is a different class of player to any version of kobe.

Great college starter

If you would say that about the NBA in the 90s, I would agree with you. But I wouldn't say there were many quality, tough nosed teams in the East in the 2000s. Kobe happened to face the only two that really existed (04 Pistons, 08/10 Celtics), in three different Finals series, no less. The Celtics of 08 are probably one of the best defensive teams I have ever seen.
    Check Kobe's stats/record vs bad Eastern teams like the Bobcats. They always gave the Lakers the business a couple of year ago

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

The one who carried a team of scrubs to 66 wins. Kobe fans are hilarious. Still can't get over the fact LeBron is a better player than their idol ever was

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

No you weren't.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Not sure if serious, 2003 was the year Kobe played terribly against the Spurs in the playoffs and LA got bounced by them.

Did you mean 2002?

As for the 2003 season, the East had only one 50 win team, while the West had six teams registering 50 or more wins.

Kobe has been battling against superior competition his entire career, while Lebron has been facing average and poor teams far more often than Kobe has. This shit matters.

Now as for who I'd take between the two of them from these specific years, it's a really tough choice. Lebron had a epic year and his numbers are better overall, but I'd actually take Kobe, as his ability and ceiling was higher. Better scorer, better defender, although Lebron was a better rebounder and playmaker. Two epic seasons, it's tough to choose.
    Lebron still dominated the West
    Last edited by Bigsmoke; 10-15-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    No you weren't.
    Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Doranku
    the Hawks were able to beat peak Wade ( ) that year
    I don't know what you're laughing at. I remember peak Kobe not even making the playoffs and losing twice in the 1st round.

Quote Originally Posted by Doranku
    And his series against Orlando is unbelievably overrated. He had the amazing first game (a game that they lost) where he put up 49 points on 20-30 shooting which really skews the overall numbers. He was superb again in Game 2 when he hit the buzzer beater to win the game.

But after that? He just chucked a lot of shots on poor efficiency, got to the line an ABSURD amount of times (in fact, he shot 9+ FTs in all 14 games he played in during the '09 playofffs ), and was atrocious late in games. Countless costly turnovers, disappeared in your beloved elimination game, and just didn't have the impact that his numbers would suggest.
    Lebron had a TS of 55% after the first 2 games.
    Game 3 - 41/7/9. Lebron scored almost half of the Cavs' points.
    Game 4 - 44/12/7. Hit a clutch 3 with ~3 seconds left in the game. Still lost by 2.
    Game 5 - 37/14/12. Cavs won.
    Game 6 - 25/7/7. A poor game by Lebron standards.

The Cavs lost because the Magic were hitting their 3's. It also didn't help that the second best player on the Cavs shot less than 40%.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    No you weren't.
    Truth.