Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    How I feel in ur head maybeshewill13's Avatar

Default Re: Harden or Ibaka...who do OKC keep?

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacKemba
    This.

But they'll likely hear out trades won't they? Or risk losing him for nothing.
    I honestly don't know.. management seems pretty confident they'll hold onto both. I think trade talks might be more likely closer to deadline than over the off-season.

I'd keep Harden. Ibaka gets a lot of blocks but I feel that his defense is a bit overrated.

2012 I rep flatulence Cowboy Thunder's Avatar

U keep bolth is what you do

I rule the local playground MASH Transit's Avatar

Are people seriously suggesting James Harden would rather be the first option for the Bobcats than instrumental part to a dynasty? When people are referring to star talents that desire money and the glory of being a first option, why do you always fail to mention the star talents that accepted their roles on contenders and won because of it? Rodman, Worthy, Perish/McHale, Ray Allen, Bynum, Manu, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodfather1
    I hope Cleveland offers Harden a max deal. If nothing else it makes the Thunder a team that can't improve through free agency for the forseeable future.

Not to mention that though Cleveland may not be a big market, compared to OKC it is like living in NYC. Cleveland at that time will be a team with a star PG, one of Davis/Drummond/Beal/MKG, whoever their 2013 lotto pick is, and will be looking for a wing player to complete their roster. Cleveland could make some real noise in the 13-14 season if they signed Harden.
    Yea, because Cleveland will never have to pay Irving and Davis/Drummond/Beal/MKG. He'd rather leave OKC to be in a similar situation elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacKemba
    This.

But they'll likely hear out trades won't they? Or risk losing him for nothing.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

^^^

I wish I could be as naive and oblivious as you about certain things.

Yes, Harden would likely rather go to Cleveland for a max deal if OKC doesn't give him the same. It not only gives him a bigger contract now but also sets him up for a huge deal later on after a few years of being a primary option. How can anyone think otherwise?

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    ^^^

I wish I could be as naive and oblivious as you about certain things.

Yes, Harden would likely rather go to Cleveland for a max deal if OKC doesn't give him the same. It not only gives him a bigger contract now but also sets him up for a huge deal later on after a few years of being a primary option. How can anyone think otherwise?

He probably would rather have a ring. The dude is on the bench in okc but he also gets over 30 minutes most nights. He's basically a starter in okc, he just comes off the bench, a place even he himself says he feels more comfortable at. He's not the feature guy , but in a good place with the thunder. Only difference is he'd win a ring in okc a lot sooner than moving anywhere else because all the top teams already have a feature guy.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Toker
    He probably would rather have a ring. The dude is on the bench in okc but he also gets over 30 minutes most nights. He's basically a starter in okc, he just comes off the bench, a place even he himself says he feels more comfortable at. He's not the feature guy , but in a good place with the thunder. Only difference is he'd win a ring in okc a lot sooner than moving anywhere else because all the top teams already have a feature guy.
    Again, I point to my Joe Johnson example since Harden is in the exact same situation.

If Joe Johnson stayed in Phoenix (a great team), do you think he would have been able to play his way into that 6 year $120 million deal he got? I sure don't think so. It's not just about the money now, it's also about the money later. And that contract is generally the last big deal players receive in their careers unless they go on to be HOF level players.

OKC fans are hoping that Harden will be one of the exceptions to the rule that athletes go where the money is. I understand that. But hoping something happens is very different than what is likely to happen based on what we've seen in the past and logic. Harden would be smart to go elsewhere unless OKC gives him a max deal.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    Again, I point to my Joe Johnson example since Harden is in the exact same situation.

If Joe Johnson stayed in Phoenix (a great team), do you think he would have been able to play his way into that 6 year $120 million deal he got? I sure don't think so. It's not just about the money now, it's also about the money later. And that contract is generally the last big deal players receive in their careers unless they go on to be HOF level players.

OKC fans are hoping that Harden will be one of the exceptions to the rule that athletes go where the money is. I understand that. But hoping something happens is very different than what is likely to happen based on what we've seen in the past and logic. Harden would be smart to go elsewhere unless OKC gives him a max deal.

Assuming Harden would get a max deal. Perceived worth isnt the same as actual worth. He may go off for 30 or 40 points once in a while but he hasnt been consistent enough to warrant max money, not yet. He has the ability and is probably going to be one of those players, but not just yet. now im sure some team thinks so and would drop their panties for him. I do know thunder can give him good money and dangle the carrot of playing on a team in a system that will make him successful and give him a chance at a ring- a better chance than you'd get out of any team that could actually afford to give him max money.

Especially if they get rid of perkins and use his salary to supplement that of harden's and ibaka's. ANd as far as hoping it will happen, yea its hope, but not impossible. They drafted him, they molded him, his best buds are thunders. Westbrook stayed for a bit less than he could have gotten elsewhere- to be the premier #1 guy. Harden would be smart to stay for slightly less than the huge payday, and get his big payday the next contract. this way he gets some hardware to go along with all that green.

Decent college freshman Doctor Rivers's Avatar

Jordan has been tanking to get Harden on the 'cats