Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Stan Van Gundy Hired as Head Coach and President of Basketball Operations

I think we'd all rather see Smith go. The problem is I think it's going to take another year. I'd really rather not let Monroe go. So I think we have to hold onto both of them for next season. SVG will just have to make the rotation work so Smith, Monroe, and Drummond aren't all in the game at the same time. If we end up with a top 3 pick somehow then I'd be more open to trading Monroe.

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Default Re: Stan Van Gundy Hired as Head Coach and President of Basketball Operations

Monroe + #8 for #3 makes a lot of sense if it was a feasible option then...

And when it comes to SVG - Monroe isnt really the type of player he has been known to fit into one of his systems - but who knows what SVG is thinking right now

And apparently Celtics are looking to move Rondo again,

Jennings + Moose for Rondo + #17

Considering Celts are projected to have #5 pick, along with both Jennings and Moose being 25 and 24 years of age... could be a very quick rebuild

And for Det with picks #8 and #17 just get athletic shooters!!! To put around Rondo Smith and Dre... Fast breaks would be insane

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    And apparently Celtics are looking to move Rondo again,

Jennings + Moose for Rondo + #17

Considering Celts are projected to have #5 pick, along with both Jennings and Moose being 25 and 24 years of age... could be a very quick rebuild

And for Det with picks #8 and #17 just get athletic shooters!!! To put around Rondo Smith and Dre... Fast breaks would be insane
    That I would do. I think if the Pistons could get a guy like Rodney Hood to fall there at 17 that would be a good move. I don't like the value of the 8 pick if that's where we end up necessarily. Everyone keeps predicting us to draft Gary Harris. I don't think that necessarily solves what we need. He's not a bad player but I don't think he's going to be that great either. He's another undersized scoring guard. I've never been big on those types of players. I want my SG to have some length, I feel like 6'6" is the perfect height for that position. On the other hand, we could use help at SF, and Hood can shoot pretty well. He could be the guy who helps stretch the court. But if the Pistons somehow get in the top 6, I think we have to stay there. There's just too much value with those top 6 guys.

I think the top 8 will be:
    Wiggins / Embiid / Parker / Exum / Smart / Randle / Vonleh / Gordon (especially after the combine)

Chances are one of Randle / Vonleh / Gordon will slip to us, all of which are the positional player we absolutely don't need...

I think there is value in top 7, and value between 13-18... I think 8-12 is going to be a bit of a loss on value.

That being said, I like Hood, but think he will end up 11-14 range,

I like Stauskas too - especially after his surprising agility results at the combine (better results than Smart!) but I like him for 12-17 range, not at #8...

And if we make a trade with either Moose or Smith, then perhaps we could draft one of those PF types with #8...

Last spring, Detroit Pistons owner Tom Gores watched his team's head-coaching vacancy remain open for 51 days, one more than the number of games eventual hiree Maurice Cheeks coached.

A year later, when it became clear early this month that a premier coach was available but also being wooed by the Golden State Warriors, Gores pounced with a five-year, $35 million offer to make Stan Van Gundy president of basketball operations and head coach.

"We intercepted him," Gores said Thursday. "I think a day or two later, or a week or two later, maybe we wouldn't have gotten to it fast enough."

-- Michigan Live

NBA lottery pick

I think the top 8 will be:
    Wiggins / Embiid / Parker / Exum / Smart / Randle / Vonleh / Gordon (especially after the combine)

Chances are one of Randle / Vonleh / Gordon will slip to us, all of which are the positional player we absolutely don't need...

I think there is value in top 7, and value between 13-18... I think 8-12 is going to be a bit of a loss on value.

That being said, I like Hood, but think he will end up 11-14 range,

I like Stauskas too - especially after his surprising agility results at the combine (better results than Smart!) but I like him for 12-17 range, not at #8...

And if we make a trade with either Moose or Smith, then perhaps we could draft one of those PF types with #8...
    Yeah, that's basically what I'm saying. I don't like who's going to be available at 8 for us to fit on our team. I like Stauskas a lot. I like McDermott a lot (for the Pistons). That's exactly what this team needs. You have to surround Drummond with deadly shooters. Hood's stock has dropped in some places, so who knows he could be anywhere from 8 to 20. I almost like getting multiple picks. We really need to get lucky on Tuesday though. That would change the make up of this roster real fast.

I have a feeling Hood's stock is rising, well will rise as we get closer to the draft. Tremendous size and length for the SF position, and did very well in the shooting drills at the combine... Think he will be much closer to 8 than 20 come draft day.

Yes, Amen on McDermott for the pistons, would be a great addition off the bench... But again - not with #8, but happily with any pick around 13 or later..

NBA lottery pick

I have a feeling Hood's stock is rising, well will rise as we get closer to the draft. Tremendous size and length for the SF position, and did very well in the shooting drills at the combine... Think he will be much closer to 8 than 20 come draft day.

Yes, Amen on McDermott for the pistons, would be a great addition off the bench... But again - not with #8, but happily with any pick around 13 or later..
    If it really came down to it and we couldn't trade down, I wouldn't be mad if they picked either one of those players (assuming we luckily get that pick). They just seem to fit better. I'd be upset if they picked Aaron Gordon.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    That I would do. I think if the Pistons could get a guy like Rodney Hood to fall there at 17 that would be a good move. I don't like the value of the 8 pick if that's where we end up necessarily. Everyone keeps predicting us to draft Gary Harris. I don't think that necessarily solves what we need. He's not a bad player but I don't think he's going to be that great either. He's another undersized scoring guard. I've never been big on those types of players. I want my SG to have some length, I feel like 6'6" is the perfect height for that position. On the other hand, we could use help at SF, and Hood can shoot pretty well. He could be the guy who helps stretch the court. But if the Pistons somehow get in the top 6, I think we have to stay there. There's just too much value with those top 6 guys.
    Using a pick on Hood or Harris would be a nightmare scenario to me. Harris is too small and always injured and Hood can't defend a chair and likely never will.

Decent college freshman

Personally I feel at 8 we have to come away with either Smart,Stauskas or Mcdermott. Stauskas and Mcdermott both had very nice combines and showed that they are more than the spot up shooters they are advertised as. Mcdermott can score from anywhere and Stauskas is very agile and can handle and pas the rock. As much as we need defense, we need a high efficiency shooter(or 2 or 3) more than anything.

Smart to me just screams Detroit PG. I love his size, toughness, decision making and defense. He can't shoot and that's an issue, but we aren't in position to turn down a top PG prospect if you ask me.

Young,Saric,Lavine and Gordon might be options, though none are a particularly great fit/value combo for us IMO.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    Using a pick on Hood or Harris would be a nightmare scenario to me. Harris is too small and always injured and Hood can't defend a chair and likely never will.
    Who do you like at that spot then?

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by idizzle
    Vincent Ellis: Oklahoma State guard Marcus Smart had met with #pistons
    Twitter @Vincent_Ellis56 - See more at:

http://*********.com/archive/rumors/....QlaJWq6U.dpuf
    If we somehow had the #8 pick and Marcus Smart somehow fell to the Pistons the whole season would be worth it. Just meeting doesn't mean much though. I'm sure he met with a lot of teams. I just don't see him falling that far. It's a PG league. I see the Lakers drafting either Smart or Exum unless they land a top 3 pick. Even if they land a top 3 pick they still may draft Exum. If Orlando falls out of the top 3 I think they would draft Smart. They're potentially going to stack their back court for years to come and pair someone up with Oladipo. I could see Milwaukee taking a PG too. I'm sure they aren't thrilled with Knight for the long term. It really depends on where the ping pong balls fall, but I don't see Smart dropping that far in the draft.

If we take Smart (doubt he falls to us) what happens with Jennings? Do we play them both? How easy would it be to move Jennings? And what return could we get for him?...

If we could get a mid first rounder for him I pull the trigger and draft McDermott / Stauskas / Hood / Lavine with it...