3. Karl Malone
    4. Charles Barkley
    5. David Robinson
    6. Shaquille O'Neal
    7. Clyde Drexler
    8. Scottie Pippen
    9. Patrick Ewing
    10.John Stockton

#4-#5 and #7-#9 could really go either way for me.

Default Re: top 10 players of the 90s

Gary Payton would definately be in my list. Over some of those guys.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Gary Payton would definately be in my list. Over some of those guys.
    Gary was great, but the 90s was stacked. Who would you put him over?

Where's Detlef Schrempf! This is an outrage! I call shenanigans!

Oh, and why is Stockton below Robinson and Drexler?

Banned

good list, maybe some player rankings debately (stockton) but over all solid

3-time NBA All-Star

David Robinson won an MVP and had better overall stats, although some of that could be attributed to him being a center while Stockton was a PG. Drexler was the leader of two teams that went to the Finals and then won a title with Hakeem. Stockton is one of the most underappreciated players cause he played with Malone, but I don't think I can put him above those players, although I wouldn't blame someone if they did. At the same time, I think Drexler is wayy underrated and maybe the most unappreciated player ever.

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Gary was great, but the 90s was stacked. Who would you put him over?
    Stockton, Drexler, Scottie, Ewing, and DRob.

Local High School Star

Shaq was already better than D-Rob since his first day in the NBA

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    David Robinson won an MVP and had better overall stats, although some of that could be attributed to him being a center while Stockton was a PG. Drexler was the leader of two teams that went to the Finals and then won a title with Hakeem. Stockton is one of the most underappreciated players cause he played with Malone, but I don't think I can put him above those players, although I wouldn't blame someone if they did. At the same time, I think Drexler is wayy underrated and maybe the most unappreciated player ever.
    I agree, Drexler was underrated. Drexler though, was more about entertaining crowds (not saying that was his goal, just his style of play superseded his ability to win games) - that's where his ultimate value came in, and that's how he will be remembered.

Yes, Robinson won an MVP title, but there's no way Stockton could have even been MVP playing with Malone. I agree with most of your list, I just think Stockton was a more valuable player on average year-for-year than Drexler or Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    You'd put Gary over these guys? I was a huge Payton fan myself, but give me Stockton, Ewing and Drexler over Payton any day. I'd even say Scottie was more valuable during his prime than a prime Payton too. DRob is about the only one I would somewhat agree with you on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    Agreed.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
    I agree, Drexler was underrated. Drexler though, was more about entertaining crowds (not saying that was his goal, just his style of play superseded his ability to win games) - that's where his ultimate value came in, and that's how he will be remembered.
    He led a team to 2 Finals and he eventually won a title so how can you imply he didn't know how to win games?

Yes, Robinson won an MVP title, but there's no way Stockton could have even been MVP playing with Malone. I agree with most of your list, I just think Stockton was a more valuable player on average year-for-year than Drexler or Robinson.
    No way man. Robinson never really had a great 2nd option and some of his supporting casts were not that good at all, but he always carried the Spurs to 50+ win seasons and into the playoffs. And I agree that Stockton couldn't have won an MVP playing with Malone, but a bigger reason why he wouldn't have won is cause there was no way he would've taken MVPs away from the likes of Jordan, Hakeem, Robinson, Barkley, etc.

You'd put Gary over these guys? I was a huge Payton fan myself, but give me Stockton, Ewing and Drexler over Payton any day. I'd even say Scottie was more valuable during his prime than a prime Payton too. DRob is about the only one I would somewhat agree with you on.
    Gary is arguably one of the greatest defenders of all time. The only PG who can match him on both sides of the court is Walt Frazier.

He regularly sonned John Stockton, and is reponsible for the most underwhelming finals performance of Jordan's career.

Payton had the killer instinct that Ewing lacked. For the better part of the 90's Patrick was jumpshooting big man.

Drexler is Gary's equal on the offensive end, but the gulf between them on the defensive end is canyonesque.

Scottie was not as valuble during his prime. His prime was also much shorter than Gary's. Scottie was only the man for one season. Gary was the man for the majority of the 90's.

3-time NBA All-Star

If you would put all those guys ahead of Payton but not Robinson then you're really underrating him.

Actually I'd say Gary Payton has a chance against any of those guys mentioned EXCEPT David Robinson. And Scottie Pippen.

Drob was a 25-11 player before Tim Duncan, won an MVP and led his teams to 55+ wins several seasons with guys like Sean Elliot and a past prime Terry Cummings as his second options. Before 95, he was considered a better player than Hakeem Olajuwon. He has career averages of 21 ppg and 11 rpg, despite having drastically lower numbers over the span of Tim Duncan's entry into the league. He's a scoring champ, a defensive stalwart, and is one of the greatest scoring big men of all time.

I don't see how any of Payton's accomplishments could put him over Drob, especially since Payton's teams were deeper, and they had virtually the same success as the 90's Spurs.