Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-18-2018, 09:55 PM   #16
AirBonner
Jordaneering

Default Re: I have a 23 year old cousin who just texted me this and said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkerforlife
Hakeem would easily match Shaq and is better than Shaq all time.
Nope. Add in Duncan and it is game over.
AirBonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:55 PM   #17
Bill Russell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkerforlife
Hakeem would easily match Shaq prime for prime.

No, and no.

Prime Hakeem didn't fare that well(defensively) against Shaq in his 3rd or 4th year or whatever in a Finals series... and you think he's ****ing with peak Shaq that's got an additional 75-100 lbs behind him while being in the best shape of his life relative to his weight... and a smarter and more patient player overall? Haha.
Bill Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:58 PM   #18
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Dream won Finals MVP vs. Shaq and as tough as James is to guard are we going to act like Jordan wasn't?
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:59 PM   #19
AirBonner
Jordaneering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Dream won Finals MVP vs. Shaq and as tough as James is to guard are we going to act like Jordan wasn't?
Kobe would lock his ass up. See all of his all defensive team awards?
Old 08-18-2018, 10:00 PM   #20
Bill Russell
Banned

Quote:

Yes because comparing Shaq in his fourth year to his absolute peak is a fair comparison. And guess what jack? Shaq outplayed his ass in that series, head to head. People don't seem to remember that shit because the Rockets won and Hakeem put up a monster series. Shaq would absolutely decimate him at his peak.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:04 PM   #21
Bill Russell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBonner

Kobe's defense is probably the most overrated any player has ever been... on one side of the ball... that I can remember... out of pretty much every star player in NBA history.

Once he got his own team, like every other star, his defense dropped significantly. That's what happens when you have to shoulder the primary load.

And he still kept getting those awards... lol.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:07 PM   #22
AirBonner
Jordaneering

Lebron is just too big for Jordan to handle. Magic would be the matchup but even then prime Lebron is too much. He is unstoppable. Then you got his chase down blocks and Shaq and Duncan covering the paint. Kobe would match Jordan move for move right down to the tongue hanging out of the mouth. Then there is Iverson which is too quick for anyone on the opposing team. Give him all of those open looks and he is hitting every single 3 pointer ala Curry.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:07 PM   #23
Bill Russell
Banned

Jordan would have no problem guarding LeBron... though I suspect he'd be on Kobe.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:22 PM   #24
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Russell
Yes because comparing Shaq in his fourth year to his absolute peak is a fair comparison. And guess what jack? Shaq outplayed his ass in that series, head to head. People don't seem to remember that shit because the Rockets won and Hakeem put up a monster series. Shaq would absolutely decimate him at his peak.

The only player we have any evidence of really decimating a non washed up Hakeem is when Kareem gave him 40 something twice in like a week.

Shaq in 95 still had most of what made him great. 2000 Shaq wouldn’t just own 95. Not at all.

Prime Hakeem could play anyone to ever play the 5 as an equal.

Shaq had a productive series but he didn’t outplay Hakeem. Hakeem is probably the only player Shaq doesn’t even dispute kicked his ass. Hell Shaq is the main one pushing that narrative. I suspect he remembers scoring that 25 or whatever a game he did that series. At worst they played as equals. Virtually everyone who saw it gave the matchup to Hakeem though.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:23 PM   #25
NBAGOAT
College superstar

magic's defense is a worry. He's 1 of 2 guys here who's bad on defense but you can stick Iverson on Payton as Payton's the 4th-5th option on that team and going to him in isolations is just wasting your team's talent. I wouldnt want him on Lebron or Kobe. I might just put KG on Bron and let Magic try to check Duncan. It's not ideal but Duncan is the 4-5th option on that team. Just double him as often as you can with kg/mj/payton as all are quick team defenders
NBAGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:24 PM   #26
Bill Russell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
The only player we have any evidence of really decimating Hakeem is when Kareem gave him 40 something twice in like a week.

Shaq in 95 still had most of what made him great. 2000 Shaq wouldn’t just own 95. Not at all.

Prime Hakeem could play anyone to ever play the 5 as an equal.

Nope. Bill Russell would mind **** him along with any other C ever unless you just want to go on stats.

Peak Shaq would throw Olajuwon around like a rag doll. Peak Shaq's post power >>>>>>>>>>>>> 95 Shaq.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:29 PM   #27
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBonner
You think Jordan hasn't scored on an All-NBA defender before? That's just silly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Russell
It was actually his third season and yes it was fair. The 29 and 11 Shaq had in the regular season make that one of his best statistical years. As far as the Finals, Olajuwon averaged 32 and 11 to Shaq's 28 and 12. I have no idea hw you could have watched that series and come away thinking Shaq outplayed Olajuwon but that just didn't happen. There is no version of Shaq in his entire career that could have shut down Olajuwon. Really no player in NBA history is stopping Olajuwon. Olajuwon wouldn't stop Shaq either but it's weird to see someone saying Shaq outplayed Olajuwon when in reality that series is what put Olajuwon firmly into the class of the greatest centers of all time.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:37 PM   #28
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Thatís not how basketball works. At times Dennis Rodman guarded Shaq better than Sabonis, Jabari White, or Rick Smits. If Shaq being stronger than people made his team always win heíd never have lost. It didnít make him outplay everyone either.

Shaq was like 310 and more athletic in 95. He was more polished and probably 325 in 2000. Maybe less. He wasnít as big as people think till after 2000 when he intentionally gained weight by eating a lot of bread and fatty meats. He talked about it in one of his books. He felt Sabonis and believe it or not Luc Longley were starting to be able to slow him down so he wanted to get bigger to overpower guys like that and he started to lose the quickness that really made him stand out for his size.

2000 Shaq had not started to gain all the weight you seem to think. He did that on purpose that off season then it got out of control and he had 60 pounds to lose.

315 pound Shaq was stronger than anyone. He didnít need that 340-350 frame.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:42 PM   #29
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:
You think Jordan hasn't scored on an All-NBA defender before? That's just silly.It was actually his third season and yes it was fair. The 29 and 11 Shaq had in the regular season make that one of his best statistical years. As far as the Finals, Olajuwon averaged 32 and 11 to Shaq's 28 and 12. I have no idea hw you could have watched that series and come away thinking Shaq outplayed Olajuwon but that just didn't happen. There is no version of Shaq in his entire career that could have shut down Olajuwon. Really no player in NBA history is stopping Olajuwon. Olajuwon wouldn't stop Shaq either but it's weird to see someone saying Shaq outplayed Olajuwon when in reality that series is what put Olajuwon firmly into the class of the greatest centers of all time.

It’s odd isn’t it?

Shaq himself....the least humble person to ever dunk a ball?

Openly and often admits he was taken to school. His respect for Hakeem is unlike anyone I can think of for any rival. Even Bird and Magic you hear some of that “But I was better....” in there.

Shaq talks about Hakeem like he’s literally his father. Always says he’s the best because he’s the only one he couldn’t break with his physicality.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:48 PM   #30
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Shaq is a problem.

But with Iverson and Kobe there I doubt he gets that many touches.

Btw... everyone is focusing on Shaq offensively, but how is he gonna guard Hakeem one on one? They can't collapse on Hakeem cause KG is there to drain the jumper (like someone mentioned, not sure why he's on that team). And seriously, ya'll gonna not double MJ?

I think having Iverson and Kobe is an issue, hell... having Bron there is an issue onto itself. What's he gonna do, dribble for 20 seconds and have Kobe shoot a contest 3 pt shot? He's gonna turn them into 3pt shooters.

Shyyyyttt Lebron will turn Shaq into a 3pt shooter

The top team has perhaps the top 4 defenders of all time!!!

KG, Hakeem, MJ and Glove

Ya'll wanna claim Magic can't play defense? he may not be able to play great 1 on 1 defense, but he's smart as hell and would be playing the passing lanes like Pippen. He averaged just over 2 assists per game in his prime, he'd be allowed to gamble a whole lot more with those 4.

TD and KG are a wash
Shaq won't be as dominant cause he won't touch the ball as much, he can't guard Hakeem
Jordan over Kobe
Lebron vs Magic would be interesting. It would be a battle of different styles and IQs. People might think "But Magic can't guard Bron". But the lanes are gonna be clogged. Magic would be able to put his hands on him and slow him down (remember fat ass shutting him down). Besides, the strategy would be to let Bron go one on one, no double teams. If he gets hot then have Payton guard him (he did a great job on him in the past). The top team is simply 'smarter' and tougher/intense.

Top team wins 8/10 times.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: