Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
20Four
National High School Star

20Four is considered somewhat cool20Four is considered somewhat cool
Default An incredible story on Kobe's Worth ethic *Good Article from Trainer*

Mamba!

Quote:
I've been a professional athletic trainer for about 16 years and have been able to work with a range of athletes from the high school to professional level. Right now I run in a clinic in Cincinnati and have most recently been training with some players on the Bengals.

I've been seeing the videos of Kobe's most recent dunks and the comments you guys have had to share I decided I might as well chime in what I know about the man. And let me just state by saying that this story doesn't touch on anything we don't know about Kobe but rather that he simply is not human when he is working on his craft.

I was invited to Las Vegas this past Summer to help Team USA with their conditioning before they head off to London, and as we know they would eventually bring home the Gold (USA). I've had the opportunity to work with Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade in the past but this would be my first interaction with Kobe. We first met three days before the first scrimmage, on the day of the first practice, early July. It was a brief conversation where we talked about conditioning, where he would like to be by the end of the Summer, and we talked a little bit about the hustle of the Select Team. Then he got my number and I let him know that if he ever wanted some extra training he could hit me up any time.

The night before the first scrimmage I remember I was just watched "Casablanca" for the first time and it was about 3:30 AM. I lay in bed, slowly fading away when I hear my cell ring. It was Kobe. I nervously picked up.
"Hey, uhh Rob, I hope I'm not disturbing anything right?"
"Uhh no, what's up Kob?"
"Just wondering if you could just help me out with some conditioning work, that's all."
I checked my clock. 4:15 AM.
"Yeah sure, I'll see you in the facility in a bit."
It took me about twenty minutes to get my gear and out of the hotel. When I arrived and opened the room to the main practice floor I saw Kobe. Alone. He was drenched in sweat as if he had just taken a swim. It wasn't even 5AM. We did some conditioning work for the next hour and fifteen minutes. Then we entered the weight room, where he would do a multitude of strength training exercises for the next 45 minutes. After that we parted ways and he went back to the practice floor to shoot. I went back to the hotel and crashed. Wow.
I was expected to be at the floor again at about 11 AM. I woke up feeling sleepy, drowsy, and almost pretty much every side effect of sleep deprivation. Thanks, Kobe. I had a bagel and headed to the practice facility.

This next part I remember very vividly. All the Team USA players were there, feeling good for the first scrimmage. LeBron was talking to Carmelo if I remember correctly and Coach Krzyzewski was trying to explain something to Kevin Durant. On the right side of the practice facility was Kobe by himself shooting jumpers. And this is how our next conversation went -- I went over to him, patted him on the back and said, "Good work this morning."
"Huh?"
"Like, the conditioning. Good work."
"Oh. Yeah, thanks Rob. I really appreciate it."
"So when did you finish?"
"Finish what?"
"Getting your shots up. What time did you leave the facility?"
"Oh just now. I wanted 800 makes so yeah, just now."
My jaw dropped. Mother of holy God. It was then that I realized that there's no surprise to why he's been as effective as he was last season. Every story about his dedication, every quote that he's said about hard work all came together and hit me like a train. It's no surprise to me now that he's dunking on players ten years younger than him and it wasn't a surprise to me earlier this year when he led the league in scoring.
Thanks for reading and allowing me to share you my Kobe Bryant story. If anyone has any questions I can clarify. Sorry if the story was at all hard to follow as this is my first time on reddit.
Rob.
20Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
20Four
National High School Star

20Four is considered somewhat cool20Four is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: An incredible story on Kobe's Worth ethic *Good Article from Trainer*

Bump
20Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
Suckafree
High School Varsity 12th Man

Suckafree has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: An incredible story on Kobe's Worth ethic *Good Article from Trainer*

A redditor I see
Suckafree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
#number6ix#
WE INHERE LIKE ROGAINE

#number6ix# is a pretty well-respected poster#number6ix# is a pretty well-respected poster#number6ix# is a pretty well-respected poster

Damn that's how u become great right there... Props to Vino... hard work and dedication... I need to do some push ups after reading that.

Update... Did one push up
#number6ix# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
d.bball.guy
Heat fan since 2014

d.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by #number6ix#
Damn that's how u become great right there... Props to Vino... hard work and dedication... I need to do some push ups after reading that.

Update... Did one push up
Dat work ethic
d.bball.guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
livinglegend
College star

livinglegend posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrylivinglegend posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrylivinglegend posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Fakebe with another fake story.
I wonder when he will get his fake flu this year.
livinglegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
NBASTATMAN
NBA sixth man of the year

NBASTATMAN posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryNBASTATMAN posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryNBASTATMAN posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

kobe stans taking it to another level with the fake arse stories

We all know Kobe's work ethic is just unreal no need to make these bogus arse stories dude...
NBASTATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
BrickingStar
Banned

BrickingStar is popular on this boardBrickingStar is popular on this boardBrickingStar is popular on this boardBrickingStar is popular on this board

I know a shit load more kobe dick suckers that can write better stories than this.
BrickingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #9
DavisWarriorsFan
Bay Areaaaaaaaaaaa!

DavisWarriorsFan is starting to rub some people the wrong wayDavisWarriorsFan is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinglegend
Fakebe with another fake story.
I wonder when he will get his fake flu this year.
Quote:
John Ireland ‏@LAIreland

Lakers fans--read this. ATL coach Larry Drew told me a similar story about Kobe last night-sick work ethic:

https://twitter.com/LAIreland/status/308795202477375489
DavisWarriorsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
Foster5k
College star

Foster5k has not been impressing people

And still can't touch Jordan.
Foster5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
Alan
Good High School Starter

Alan is considered somewhat coolAlan is considered somewhat coolAlan is considered somewhat cool

How the fcuk do you misspell "work ethic" with "WORTH ethic" in the thread title?
Alan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #12
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster

Very inspirational. Everyone could use that drive (in anything they do, not just ball)
kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: