Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast
    Good High School Starter

Default Which players have been able to lead their team to a ship w/o a top 50 GOAT teammate?

kobe, duncan, dirk... they must be the undisputed best player of the team

Default Re: Which players have been able to lead their team to a ship w/o a top 50 GOAT teammate?

Ben Wallace.

Good High School Starter

Default Re: Which players have been able to lead their team to a ship w/o a top 50 GOAT teammate?

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Ben Wallace.
    undisputed... the fact that chauncey won the finals mvp already shows that a strong argument can be made

NBA rookie of the year

Pau was better and more important than Kobe. I could see him sneaking into the Top 50. There, I have disputed another. Strike Kobe from you list, post haste!

Hakeem, Nowitzki, & Duncan are the only one's that spring to mind.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    Pau was better and more important than Kobe. I could see him sneaking into the Top 50. There, I have disputed another. Strike Kobe from you list, post haste!
    pau is an amazing player but not top 50, see if hes better than any of the players on the top 50 best players list, than consider how many who are not on the list that are better than him and you'll realize that he probly isnt. Pau better than kobe is just ridiculous, the argument is as strong as me saying pippen was better than jordan.

LAwilwintheirlsthomegm

Default Re: Which players have been able to lead their team to a ship w/o a top 50 GOAT teamm

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    This is getting rediculous; Kobe won two titles with Odom, Gasol and Ariza/Artest. Bynum was on one leg most of those runs, guy WON with less then Duncan and Dirk.

Parker, Robinson, Stephen Jackson, Manu, Terry, Kidd, Marion, Chandler,Barea...Lmao.

Kobe won with a three time all-star, think about that for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by rule1223
    undisputed... the fact that chauncey won the finals mvp already shows that a strong argument can be made
    Not really, all it shows that Billups had a great series in the finals. But not even the GOAT was the best player on his team every night. It also shows that the league emphasizes offense over defense when handing out awards like these.

But I'm positive the vast majority of basketball followers would take Wallace's importance on those Pistons over Billups. Thus he should count.

Banned

pau is an amazing player but not top 50, see if hes better than any of the players on the top 50 best players list, than consider how many who are not on the list that are better than him and you'll realize that he probly isnt. Pau better than kobe is just ridiculous, the argument is as strong as me saying pippen was better than jordan.
    He never said Pau was beeter in general, but that he played better in finals and was more important, which he certainly has been recently.

3-time NBA All-Star

kobe, duncan, dirk... they must be the undisputed best player of the team
    Isn't Jason Kidd a top 50 player?

The whole winning with or without a top 50 player argument is kind of dumb. Alot of players win with players that are considered top 50 players but weren't playing at a top 50 of all-time level at the time. On the other hand, some players win with players that are not considered top 50 players but were playing at a top 50 all-time level at the time. You can argue that although Gasol, Pierce, and Dumars aren't considered top 50 players ever, they were playing that well when Kobe, KG, and Isiah won their titles. You can argue that although Dirk, Wade, Shaq, Jordan, Magic, Bird, and Kareem have always seem to have won titles playing with at least 1 other top 50 player, that top 50 player wasn't always playing at a top 50 level in each of those titles.

College superstar

Look at a few of those 70's championship squads. I can't recall the entire rosters but Barry's Warriors, Walton's Blazers, and Dennis Johnson's Sonics come to mind.

Default Re: Which players have been able to lead their team to a ship w/o a top 50 GOAT teamm

Quote Originally Posted by Story Up
    This is getting rediculous; Kobe won two titles with Odom, Gasol and Ariza/Artest. Bynum was on one leg most of those runs, guy WON with less then Duncan and Dirk.

Parker, Robinson, Stephen Jackson, Manu, Terry, Kidd, Marion, Chandler,Barea...Lmao.

Christ...what is wrong with this board?

LAwilwintheirlsthomegm

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrog
    Christ...what is wrong with this board?
    Too many people try to discredit Kobe. Dirk in the finals had plenty of help from Marion, Terry, Barea and Kidd. Chandler was terrific, yet people act like Kobe was carried to titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Story Up

wtf are u smoking

Rick Barry (1975)
    Isiah Thomas (1989 & 1990)
    Tim Duncan (2005 & 2007)
    Hakeem Olajuwon (1994)
    Drik Nowitzki (2011)
    Kevin Garnett (2008)
    Bob Pettit (1958)
    Dolph Schayes (1955)
    Bill Walton (1977)
    Wilt Chamberlain (1967...but I think Greer and Cunningham are top 50 or very very close)