Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Kobe's legacy if Lakers don't make playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Yep, it is amazing. It's like Murphy's Law, didn't they know not to fuck with Jack Murphy?

By the way they are planning a Magnificent Seven Remake. Tom Hardy as Bernardo O'Reilly (Charles Bronson's character in the movie) sounds cool.

the trolls are strong in this thread.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    This. The only difference from this the team last year is replacing Bynum with Dwight and an upgrade at the PG position. Who's really hurting the Lakers?
    I think it does hurt Dwight's legacy, but I don't think it's that simple. The Lakers wouldn't be any better with Bynum, imo, in fact, I could see them being even worse. Bynum would certainly be unhappy with shots in this system which would make it unlikely he'd play defense consistently. Plus, Bynum trying to run in D'Antoni's system doesn't sound good at all, and a D'Antoni defense that hasn't worked with Dwight sounds just laughable with Bynum's mobility. I truly believe that D'Antoni is the biggest reason they've underachieved so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    By the way they are planning a Magnificent Seven Remake. Tom Hardy as Bernardo Reilly (Charles Bronson's character in the movie) sounds cool.
    Really? I loved the original. I'm not a big fan of remakes, but I'll check it out if it comes out.

I think it does hurt Dwight's legacy, but I don't think it's that simple. The Lakers wouldn't be any better with Bynum, imo, in fact, I could see them being even worse. Bynum would certainly be unhappy with shots in this system which would make it unlikely he'd play defense consistently. Plus, Bynum trying to run in D'Antoni's system doesn't sound good at all, and a D'Antoni defense that hasn't worked with Dwight sounds just laughable with Bynum's mobility. I truly believe that D'Antoni is the biggest reason they've underachieved so much.

Really? I loved the original. I'm not a big fan of remakes, but I'll check it out if it comes out.
    The Original Magnificent 7 is still the best western film of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0vqQjaXLOU I love the theme song of this movie.

Tom Cruise, Matt Damon, Morgan Freeman, and Kevin Costner will be in the remake. I love to see Javier Bardem as Calvera.

Very good NBA starter

Well I only said that half heartedly, but I think Dwight's whole attitude is killing the team. The thing with Bynum is that he'll give you way better offense than Dwight and he can hit his free throws. Bynum, Kobe and Pau already have chemisty together which is another reason the new look Lakers are struggling. They were a 3rd seed last year with a horrible bench and PG play I can't really see them being worse than 5th with a healthy Bynum which again might not lead to Brown getting fired. So the system issue might be irrelevant. Defensively they'd still need work but right now I don't see Dwight being a strong defensive presence outside of a few highlight real blocks.

Decent playground baller Hizack's Avatar

If Kobe retired after 2012 playoffs 2nd round exit, would his legacy be better than if he still plays in 2013 but with bad results?

If Kobe retired right after winning his 5th championship in 2010, would his legacy be even better?

The point is, no matter how bad Kobe performs now and in the future, he's legacy will only improve, but not deteriorate.

The number of MVP award he received will only increase, or remain.
    The number of championships he won will only increase, or remain.
    The number of FMVP awards he received will only increase, or remain.
    The number of All-NBA teams selections he was in will only increase, or remain.
    The number of All-star games selections he was in will only increase, or remain.
    His career total minutes played, games played, ttotal points, rebounds, assists, steals, blocks will only increase.
    His per-game stats and percentage stats like FG% may drop, but the drop won't be sharp seeing how much time he has played and how little time he has left to play.

That is to say, As long as he still plays, his legacy will not be hurt, but improve rather.

[QUOTE=andgar923]Kobe has never and will never be a good leader, end of story.

There's more to being a leader than simply scoring and telling your teammates to put on "big boy pants".

He doesn't hold himself accountable, his teammates clearly don't respect him as much as he thinks or others perceive him to be.

Like some, Kobe's got carried to rings on the backs of bigs and refs. Great talent errr

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    Well I only said that half heartedly, but I think Dwight's whole attitude is killing the team. The thing with Bynum is that he'll give you way better offense than Dwight and he can hit his free throws. Bynum, Kobe and Pau already have chemisty together which is another reason the new look Lakers are struggling. They were a 3rd seed last year with a horrible bench and PG play I can't really see them being worse than 5th with a healthy Bynum which again might not lead to Brown getting fired. So the system issue might be irrelevant. Defensively they'd still need work but right now I don't see Dwight being a strong defensive presence outside of a few highlight real blocks.
    Bynum and Pau never really had chemistry, imo. When the Lakers were winning titles, it was more Odom/Gasol as the big men. It was always either Bynum or Pau playing well, almost never at the same time. The one time they were really working well together was post all-star break in 2011 when Bynum was just a finisher offensively, and focusing on defense and rebounding. He was literally the 5th option. Even Phil said after last season that establishing Bynum offensively really takes Pau out of the game.

I think a 1-4 start could have been possible regardless. While I don't think Brown was the right coach, I think they fired him way too early, and should have just waited until they were either in a hole around new years, or if they had another second round exit, after the season. There still would have been the problem of the princeton offense. And Nash wasn't going to be much of an impact player in Brown's offense with either Bynum or Howard. There's too many players who need the ball, and all of their games don't fit together.

I'm not sure the defense would(or could) be much worse, but I don't see it being better with Bynum. As far as attitude, well, I don't think Bynum is much better in that department. Bynum may look better offensively than Howard has this year, but I don't think the results would be much different. Bynum really is one of the bigger black holes, and in a D'Antoni system, his post game wouldn't be a big factor. Even without D'Antoni, with Bynum posting up and Kobe getting his shots, I see Pau struggling and Nash being far less of a factor.

I don't think a 5th seed with Bynum in Dwight's place would be remotely possible.

I really think Pau is deadweight at this point. The only way I see the Lakers turning it around in the summer is to get rid of Pau and D'Antoni somehow
    Last edited by ShaqAttack3234; 01-12-2013 at 02:42 PM.

It hurts Kobe because he's the only one of the 4 stars that has a legacy to protect.

It would be like Jordan in 1997 joining up with Hakeem(Dwight best center in the NBA) + 2 other stars and missing the playoffs. If that happened for Jordan, it would be a HUGE negative in his career.

Good college starter HorryIsMyMVP's Avatar

It wouldn't hurt it at all. You guys are acting like Nash wasn't out for 20 games. Dwight wasn't hurt and playing like shit. While now hes not even playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    It hurts Kobe because he's the only one of the 4 stars that has a legacy to protect.

It would be like Jordan in 1997 joining up with Hakeem(Dwight best center in the NBA) + 2 other stars and missing the playoffs. If that happened for Jordan, it would be a HUGE negative in his career.
    Are you retarded?

Kobe's legacy is set in stone. He's a consensus top 10 player of all time. He's already proven everything. This season does absolutely nothing to change that. Sorry.

Also, LOL at comparing Hakeem to Dwight. Howard hasn't even been the best center this year. Not to mention it's an unbelievably weak era for centers. Hakeem was on a completely different level.
    Last edited by Heavincent; 01-12-2013 at 03:31 PM.

somewhere between michael jordan and darius morris

Quote Originally Posted by Rockets(T-mac)
    His legacy won't really be diminished, he has played well, and the lakers problems stem from other causes. His defense has been bad yes, but to pin the defensive disasters the lakers have had on just kobe is retarded. He hasn't been good, but nor has most of the team and not to mention the coaching.

To me he has always been in the 8-10 range all time so I don't think that'll change much at all.
    [COLOR="White"]...[/COLOR]

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nash

It would be like Shaq joining lebron.. Or the Celtics after their finals run.. Or Barkley with drexler and hakeem.. Or Chris Webber joining the Pistons.. Or Jason Kidd joining the current Knicks.. Or Gary payton and Karl Malone joining prime kobe and Shaq.. Shall I go on?

It improves. A mike Dantoni team shouldn't have any wins at all, kobe has given the team a few. anything better than 0-82 adds to kobes legacy.

And the fact no other superstar had to deal with the 2 worst coaches of all time in the same year. Every Lakers win this year is a gem.