Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Myth of Wade's 2009 MVP Snub

Wade didn't deserve MVP over LeBron in 09. People suffer from "voter fatigue" and like most fans they are emotionally effected by the come-back underdog story. Wade came back strong in 09 after being injured all season the year before, but he wasn't better then LeBron in any statistical category except 1. he scored 1.5 more ppg.

We love to see our favorite players get the MVP and we loved Wade's game winners with pictures of him jumping on the scorers table, but the fact is the Heat won 43 games and the Cavs won 66, that's not even close and they both played with scrubs. Just another Hipster opinion with no real viable facts behind it imo.

LeBron 81 games played
    Wade 79 games played
    Last edited by Noyze; 10-23-2014 at 02:21 PM.

Default Re: The Myth of Wade's 2009 MVP Snub

If Miami won 66 and Cavs won 43 then Wade wins MVP, this shit is all about team accomplishment not individual play.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

I agree...Kobe on the first team all defensive team over him on the other hand...

Top 1 Bball Mind.

2009 was probably the easiest MVP choice since Shaq in 2000 at the very least

Agreed. Lebron in 09 was on another level.

Local High School Star Inactive's Avatar

Wade's numbers were only a tiny bit better than Lebron's, but his team was far worse, and Lebron rested during a lot of 4th quarter blowouts that year. Their numbers per minute were basically identical, but Lebron was slightly more efficient, and I think most people would agree that Lebron had a greater defensive impact that year as well.

If you just look at individual performance, in my opinion Lebron was slightly more deserving, but it's close enough that it could go either way. Considering the way team success typical sways voters, it should've been clear that Lebron was going to win.
    Last edited by Inactive; 10-23-2014 at 02:30 PM.

Before the playoffs, I thought Wade was a better player.

The MVP could have gone to either of them; BOTH were amazing.

I have no issue whatsoever with Wade not wining MVP that year. We all know how the voting works and LeBron was more desrving under that criteria. You are not winning an MVP on a 43 win team, regardless of the greatness of your individual play.

It's a shame that an MVP is the one thing that will elude Wade on his resume. I think '07 would have been the year had he not got injured. He was putting up around 29/8/6 and a 30+PER before getting hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by IncarceratedBob
    If Miami won 66 and Cavs won 43 then Wade wins MVP, this shit is all about team accomplishment not individual play.
    this.

College superstar

I know it's all hypothetical, but would the Heat have been closer to 43 wins without Wade than the Cavs to 66 without Lebron?

High School Starter

Wade was better in only 1 statistical category???? You mean 5? He averaged more assists, steals, blocks, and shot better from the field(although very slightly).

I had no problem with LeBron winning it although I do believe Wade was the better player during the regular season but at least be somewhat accurate...

Local High School Star Akhenaten's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrapeApe
    I have no issue whatsoever with Wade not wining MVP that year. We all know how the voting works and LeBron was more desrving under that criteria. You are not winning an MVP on a 43 win team, regardless of the greatness of your individual play.

It's a shame that an MVP is the one thing that will elude Wade on his resume. I think '07 would have been the year had he not got injured. He was putting up around 29/8/6 and a 30+PER before getting hurt.
    This, MVP is awarded to the player with the best stats on the team with the best record, that's why Nash won the two years he won.

Far as Leborn 09 team being as bad as Wade's HELL NO.

Our second option was ROOKIE Beasely, our starting PG was ROOKIE Chalmers. Added to that we had no shooters, dead last in rebounding, no interior presence on defense nor offense, no other legit playmakers outside of Wade. For ****s sake our bigs were rookie Joel Anthony, old ass Jamal Magloire, Mark Blount and broke down JO towards the end of the year.

That team was literally Wade by himself..LITERALLY

Cleveland was also 7th in blocks, 7th in rebounding, 3rd in Drtg had great shooters, a legit 2nd/3rd option in Mo and Delonte and VERY GOOD frontcourt. They had something to work with, certainly not great but definitely above serviceable.

The Heat had straight GARBAGE on the squad, they were basically in rebuild mode. Marcus Banks, Yahkouba Diawara, Luther Head, Dorrell Wright, Jamario Moon just straight TRASH.

Wade got absolutely of FIRST TEAM all D in 09 and 2010 ESPECIALLY 09, with the load he had to carry on offense he had a historic 200 stls, 100 blk season AND had enough defensive impact for us to be 11th in Dtrg (5th in 2010) as hands down the best defender on the team.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

If they swap teams: Cleveland wins less Miami wins more. 2009 LeBron James is one of the greatest players of all-time.

Quote Originally Posted by Akhenaten
    This, MVP is awarded to the player with the best stats on the team with the best record, that's why Nash won the two years he won.

Far as Leborn 09 team being as bad as Wade's HELL NO.

Our second option was ROOKIE Beasely, our starting PG was ROOKIE Chalmers. Added to that we had no shooters, dead last in rebounding, no interior presence on defense nor offense, no other legit playmakers outside of Wade. For ****s sake our bigs were rookie Joel Anthony, old ass Jamal Magloire, Mark Blount and broke down JO towards the end of the year.

That team was literally Wade by himself..LITERALLY

Cleveland was also 7th in blocks, 7th in rebounding, 3rd in Drtg had great shooters, a legit 2nd/3rd option in Mo and Delonte and VERY GOOD frontcourt. They had something to work with, certainly not great but definitely above serviceable.

The Heat had straight GARBAGE on the squad, they were basically in rebuild mode. Marcus Banks, Yahkouba Diawara, Luther Head, Dorrell Wright, Jamario Moon just straight TRASH.

Wade got absolutely of FIRST TEAM all D in 09 and 2010 ESPECIALLY 09, with the load he had to carry on offense he had a historic 200 stls, 100 blk season AND had enough defensive impact for us to be 11th in Dtrg (5th in 2010) as hands down the best defender on the team.

Damn, I had forgotten just how remarkably bad that '09 team was outside of Wade, and they had a rookie head coach too. Remove Wade from that team and I'm not sure they win 15 games.

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    If they swap teams: Cleveland wins less Miami wins more. 2009 LeBron James is one of the greatest players of all-time.
    Perhaps, but if they swap teams LeBron doesn't win MVP and Wade likely does.