Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hate to make a Wilt thread

But some of his stats are ****ing hilarious

I mean how weak can that era be when some dude averages 50 pts and 26 rebounds in his third season?

Dude led the NBA in assists in a season lmao

As a rookie he averaged 38/27

You can have an 8 foot tall Wilt in today

High School Varsity 6th Man

Default Re: Hate to make a Wilt thread

Your right he wouldn't average 50 and 26. A prime Wilt would be the best player in the NBA, just as a prime Shaq would be. So what is your point?

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Not sure why most people don't have Wilt and Jordan as the GOAT's.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    Not sure why most people don't have Wilt and Jordan as the GOAT's.
    Wilt, Russell, MJ, Kareem all have arguments.

Wilt's stats were far and above what everyone else's were... that's the thing. Sure some stats were inflated, like rebs, but Wilt was playing 48 min a game. Imagine if Shaq played 48 minutes a game. Sooner or later you just wear people out, and the pace was crazy. He took A LOT of shots, but in the same way I say shit about Iverson... it's amazing that someone can play that long and shoot that much and keep doing it.

He probably got a bunch of rebounds from missing shots under the rim and putting them back in. I mean he was shooting 50% when he got 50 ppg, but still. The era was v different, sure, but that's not to say he's not a monster.

When we were all kids and looking thru NBA history books (or was I the only one autistic enough to do that?) it's like uh huh... uh huh... wow Russel.... 11 rangz. Wow... Wilt... 50ppg?!?! Instead of being like that proves what a joke the NBA was, you should be like holy ****ing shit that's amazing.

He probably was on another level of athleticism, but he had skill, too, and he was doing it for 48 minutes. I can totally understand how he got 50 ppg and 26 rebs. HE WAS TAKING 40 SHOTS A GAME AND 17 FTS, that alone is insane even if he's missing them. Dude was doing work.

-Smak

Weak era. Lost to Russell every year

National High School Star

I love how people always bring up Wilt's stats without context. The main issue being that he regularly played 45+ minutes a game. Hell, he averaged just under 46 for his career.

Here are his numbers per 36:

The ISH'ers Champion!

Bran's long lost dad.

All stats, no substance. Known choker and loser.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertime
    I love how people always bring up Wilt's stats without context. The main issue being that he regularly played 45+ minutes a game. Hell, he averaged just under 46 for his career.

Here are his numbers per 36:

I get what you're trying to say but that in itself is incredible

Good college starter

in the playoffs Wilt had to face HOF centers more frequently than any center ever though....

In his 160 post-season games...

Lucas (as a starting center) 5 games
    Reed (as a starting center) 11 games
    Bellamy 10 games
    Beaty 12 games
    Kareem 11 games
    Thurmond 17 games
    Russell 49 games
    115 games

Add in HOFer Embry... 4 games

119 games...out of 160.

75% of his playoff games were against a HOF center.

Russell overachieved just about every year in the playoffs.

Good college starter

also in his NINE game seven's in his post-season career, Chamberlain averaged 24.4 ppg, 26.3 rpg, and shot .626... which is not only the highest FG% ever in game seven's by an all-time "great"...it was achieved in league's that shot about .435 on average. so no wilt was unlucky not a choker and was only a couple bounces of the ball from having 6 to 7 rings

Good college starter

Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell met in the NBA Playoffs in 8 series in their careers. Bill Russell won 7 of the 8. You automatically think Russell had Wilts number. What if I told you that in the 8 elimination games they played Wilt outscored Russell 215 to 113 (not a typo). What if I told you that in the 7 series that Russell's team won, Celtics won the elimination game by a combined total of 25 points (average 3.5 point victory). What if I told you that 4 of those 7 series that Bill Russell's teams won, they won on a game winning shot or steal by a Celtic not named Bill Russell. What if Bill Russell's teammates missed those shots? Would the Russell Narrative be different? What does 4 clutch plays by the other team really say about Wilt Chamberlain being a winner or a loser.

Good college starter

What about the narrative that Bill Russell was Clutch and Wilt was a Choker? Everyone remembers the "Havlacek steals the ball" but what they do not know is that the Celtics had the ball, and "Clutch" Bill Russell inbounded the ball into the wires hanging from the ceiling which gave the ball back to Wilt's 76ers. What about the importance of a game? How does Wilt's scoring change from Closeout Games, Elimination Games, to Game 7s. With Closeout games being the least important compared to Elimination Games and Game 7's. In 36 Closeout games Wilt averaged 23.4 ppg (and a 3.3pt win). In 22 Elimination games Wilt averaged 31.2 ppg (and a 5.7pt win). In 11 Game 7's, Wilt averaged 29.9ppg (and a 6.6pt win).

Good college starter

not true 1968 and 1969 are the only years he overachieved and in 1968 half of that 76'ers team were injured.1969 though i will give that to you the lakers were the better team and should have won.

Lazeruss is back