Default Lebron's Cavs vs the 1989 Cavs

For those of you not familar with them, the '89 Cavs were one of the best teams to not win it all. Matter of fact, they didn't even make it out of the first round due to running into an up and coming Bulls team, ousted by The Shot courtesy of MJ.

However, during the regular season, they dominated the league, having the best record for much of the season. A late surge by the Pistons pushed Detroit to the best record in the league, and injuries to key players had Cleveland jogging to the finish line instead of finishing strong, relegating them to tie the Lakers for the second-best record in the league. A match up with the Bulls seemed like just what the doctor ordered, as the Cavs swept the Bulls 6-0 during the season, including the final meeting when Cleveland sat their starters for most of the game.

Of course, as mentioned before, they were upset by a Bulls team on a mission.

So, how would Lebron's pre-Decision Cavaliers teams do against them?

Again, for those not familiar with them, here's the 1989 Cavs roster:

Starters:

C - Brad Daugherty
    PF - Larry Nance
    SF - Mike Sanders
    SG - Ron Harper
    PG - Mark Price

Bench:

Craig Ehlo
    John "Hot Rod" Williams
    Darnell Valentine
    Tree Rollins
    Randolph Keys
    Phil Hubbard
    Chris Dudley

A Humble Lebron Fan Dragic4Life's Avatar

Default Re: Lebron's Cavs vs the 1989 Cavs

Who?

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

The Price-Daughtery-Nance Cavs were chronic underachievers. They won 50+ only three times and got out the first round only twice (one ECF in 92' and getting swept in the ECSF in 93'). They had great talent but did not come close to achieving what their talent suggested they could do. They were only legitimate contenders in 1992 and 1993.

To answer the OP, the 2007-2010 Cavs had much less talent but they arguably overachieved relative to their talent (even when you factor in LeBron). At worst they simply achieved what they realistically could. They were consistent contenders and posted much better regular season and playoff results than the 1989-1993 Cavs.

They were a pretty good team. Mj had one of the best elimination game performances to win against them.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E9xKoQCO3k

Meh, they lacked star power. Mark Price & Ron Harper were both great back then, but they weren't superstars.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock
    The Price-Daughtery-Nance Cavs were chronic underachievers. They won 50+ only three times and got out the first round only twice (one ECF in 92' and getting swept in the ECSF in 93'). They had great talent but did not come close to achieving what their talent suggested they could do. They were only legitimate contenders in 1992 and 1993.

To answer the OP, the 2007-2010 Cavs had much less talent but they arguably overachieved relative to their talent (even when you factor in LeBron). At worst they simply achieved what they realistically could. They were consistent contenders and posted much better regular season and playoff results than the 1989-1993 Cavs.
    Put Pippen on those teams and they win multiple championships.

well it's too bad they faced MJ in the playoffs.

The early 1990s Cavaliers were similar to the Portland Trailblazers - a bit more efficient in scoring, but not as potent offensively or athletically.

They were closer to the regular season warrior types like the 2005 Suns than the true playoff contenders of the day with physical defense and an ability to raise their game in the clutch.

I wouldn't put them anywhere in the top 20 of the Greatest Coulda Shoulda Woulda teams ever.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung
    The early 1990s Cavaliers were similar to the Portland Trailblazers - a bit more efficient in scoring, but not as potent offensively or athletically.

They were closer to the regular season warrior types like the 2005 Suns than the true playoff contenders of the day with physical defense and an ability to raise their game in the clutch.

I wouldn't put them anywhere in the top 20 of the Greatest Coulda Shoulda Woulda teams ever.
    Eh what? Larry Nance is more athletic than any big in the league today with maybe the exception of Dwight.

Harper was a decent athlete too before injuries.

Magic Johnson called the Cavs "the team of the 90s" at the end of the 80s ... of course a few guys down in Chicago had something to say about that.

Brad Daughtery reminded me a lot of Tim Duncan too, call him like Diet Tim Duncan, lol.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 08-12-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Those Cavs teams would have made the finals if they hadn't run into the Bad-Boy pistons, and then the Bulls, year after year.

Super-underrated teams chock-full of super-underrated players.

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    Those Cavs teams would have made the finals if they hadn't run into the Bad-Boy pistons, and then the Bulls, year after year.

Super-underrated teams chock-full of super-underrated players.

Actually, those Cavs never met the Bad Boys in the playoffs. It was mostly the Bulls that knocked them out of the playoffs (1988, 1989, 1992, 1993 & 1994). Other than that, they lost to Barkley's Sixers in 1990 and missed the playoffs in 1991 due to key injuries.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Made this on them a while back.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaPX7dWpV-I

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Made this on them a while back.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaPX7dWpV-I

Solid ass team, for real.

I used to HATE the hell outta Cleveland after they swept us during the 1988-1989 regular season. Almost as much as I hated Detroit (who also swept the Bulls 6-0 that season). I did NOT look forward to facing them in the playoffs that year (one of the very few times I didn't think the Bulls could win). I hated how they got so much better than Chicago a year after the Bulls beat them in the first round, while Chicago kinda regressed.

Hell, even after the Bulls became a dynasty, I wanted Chicago to destroy them in the playoffs. I never forgave the Cavs for leap frogging the Bulls and sweeping them in the '89 season. Yeah, I held a grudge for years. LOL

But I will always say that Lenny Wilkens' squad was a very solid team. I remember seeing a sign a Cleveland fan waved during the 1988 first round match up between Chicago and Cleveland that read: "No Superstars. Just a Superteam."

Even though it was a jab at the Bulls, it was pretty spot on.

Uselss.

All that matters is that LeBron* is 2/5.